• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February Banter 2020

George BM

I have to say...I’ve been incredibly zen about this winter. Usually I get frustrated when it doesn’t snow for a while, but, by the middle of January, I had such a “who the f*ck cares?” attitude about it all that it just hasn’t affected me in the slightest.

Really the main thing that disappoints me is not  ring able to see my girls have fun in the snow. That’s a bit of a kick in the nards, though as long as they don’t kick up a fuss about it I won’t let it get to me, either.

In summary, f**k this winter, and let spring get sprung like Sir Mix-A-Lot.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, mattie g said:

I have to say...I’ve been incredibly zen about this winter. Usually I get frustrated when it doesn’t snow for a while, but, by the middle of January, I had such a “who the f*ck cares?” attitude about it all that it just hasn’t affected me in the slightest.

Really the main thing that disappoints me is not  ring able to see my girls have fun in the snow. That’s a bit of a kick in the nards, though as long as they don’t kick up a fuss about it I won’t let it get to me, either.

In summary, f**k this winter, and let spring get sprung like Sir Mix-A-Lot.

It gets easier for the kids as they get older. The 16 year old when asked if she wanted snow gear just gave me a look of disgust. The 13 year old was like I will still wear last years if it snows. 

And I agree. If it is not going to snow lets move onto Spring. We are counting down the days to the time change. 

19 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Heading out to Bass Pro this afternoon myself for a new Presidential reel!  I sponsor the fishing club and we are going for yellow perch Sunday morning.

Winter is overrated.

Are you referring to the Pflueger reel? If so I have 6 of them. It's without question the best value for perfectly smooth and reliable spinning reel. I think I got them all for under $50 each. Not once single problem with any of them. First one is 6 years old and has been abused. Just hose it off with fresh water after each use and put a little reel lube in every spring and it never fails. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Are you referring to the Pflueger reel? If so I have 6 of them. It's without question the best value for perfectly smooth and reliable spinning reel. I think I got them all for under $50 each. Not once single problem with any of them. First one is 6 years old and has been abused. Just hose it off with fresh water after each use and put a little reel lube in every spring and it never fails. 

Yep, that's the one. Pflueger Presidential.  Good to hear that it's dependable.  I think I've decided on the 30, but that's only because one of my students recommended it.  He's a heckuva fisherman so I trust him.  It's $60, but I've got a bunch of gift cards from Bass Pro, so wth.  I have been using a cheap Shimano reel on my Ugly Stick that is gummed up and rough on the retrieve, so it's about time to upgrade.  Thanks for the feedback.

image.thumb.png.ff1144104b5b92c58f5b03e908c27679.png

3 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Yep, that's the one. Pflueger Presidential.  Good to hear that it's dependable.  I think I've decided on the 30, but that's only because one of my students recommended it.  He's a heckuva fisherman so I trust him.  It's $60, but I've got a bunch of gift cards from Bass Pro, so wth.  I have been using a cheap Shimano reel on my Ugly Stick that is gummed up and rough on the retrieve, so I figure it's about time to upgrade.  Thanks for the feedback.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=4c6452e0fc83486cimageproxy.php?img=&key=4c6452e0fc83486c

That's the one! You'll love the smooth casting and retrieve. Reeling feels like butter. 

I have 2 each of the 30s, 35s, and 40s. I use braided on the 40s for big catfish. I like the 30s in rivers and 35s in lakes. My fave flouro line in Berkley Vanish. I have giant spools of 8, 10, and 12 lb. Line makes a big difference when fishing clear rivers like the Shenandoah. Flouro can be expensive but I'll get 2 years out of each re-spool with little issue. 

Damn if you're not making me want to fish again...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

That's the one! You'll love the smooth casting and retrieve. Reeling feels like butter. 

I have 2 each of the 30s, 35s, and 40s. I use braided on the 40s for big catfish. I like the 30s in rivers and 35s in lakes. My fave flouro line in Berkley Vanish. I have giant spools of 8, 10, and 12 lb. Line makes a big difference when fishing clear rivers like the Shenandoah. Flouro can be expensive but I'll get 2 years out of each re-spool with little issue. 

You're a fan of the flourocarbon?  I've only used mono but if there's an edge, I'll spend the extra few bucks, especially since I need all the help that I can get.  Any disadvantages to it?  Is flouro harder to tie? 

And you'd be welcome to join us fishing, but we are heading up to Grey's Run north of Baltimore.  The president of the club picks the spots.  I'm just lead weight.

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

You have a big pole so you matters well. 

3 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

You're a fan of the flourocarbon?  I've only used mono but if there's an edge, I'll spend the extra few bucks, especially since I need all the help that I can get.  Any disadvantages to it?  Is flouro harder to tie? 

And you'd be welcome to join us fishing, but we are heading up to Grey's Run north of Baltimore.  The president of the club picks the spots.  I'm just lead weight.

Zero disadvantages that I know of. Some say knot strength or abrasion is worse than mono. I haven't experienced that. Flouro turns invisible underwater and has much less stretch and memory than mono IME. Even with my braided reels I use a flouro leader on the terminal end. Give it a shot some day. Worst case you re-spool but I have a hunch you will really like it.

Fishing with some new peeps sounds pretty fun. It can be hard for me to break away for an entire day but an early meetup and morning fishing session is very possible...

2 hours ago, ravensrule said:

You have a big pole so you matters well. 

Lol- just never break character man. Haha. If you do I'll legit get worried about you

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic