• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Banter 2020

George BM

i don't understand the complaints towards long range model analysis.  at the very least, even if a model run is bogus (missing data, etc.), it still offers up the opportunity to practice pattern analysis.  not saying that i know much because i don't (4400 posts of mostly play by play and banter), but it's part of the hobby to analyze the different models and teleconnections, and i appreciate those that take a few minutes out of the day to provide their 2 cents on the pattern.

• Like 3

in other news...aaron gordon should have won the dunk contest.  that said, i think he takes the contest a bit too seriously.  i could tell by his mannerisms and how he was constantly trying to sell the crowd reaction and judges after just about every dunk.  still should have won, though...dude jumped over a 7'5" center.  i mean, come on lol.

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

I hear ya, but these are world class competitors. I imagine they all take these things really seriously. Originally I wanted a winner, but after that first dunk-off I thought a tie was appropriate. Easily the best contest since Jordan and they screwed it up smh.

true, and i know he wanted revenge from the lavine contest, which was also pretty epic (though that might have been more 50/50).  even though he may not have completely cleared Fall, he showed ridiculous bunnies.   i don't see how any judge could score that a 9.  not only does it take guts to attempt that, but he got it on the first try. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mattie g said:

@jonjon

I’m in a beer group on Facebook, and this just popped up.

Glad to hear the stout turned out nice!

By the way...where’s the snow?! :lol:

Thanks, we got like 5" of snow on Friday, but most of it withered away under the weekend sun (even though it wasn't that warm). Damn sun angle.

The barrel aged stout we released was only out of 5 gall whiskey barrels from a local distillery (Still Hollow), so it isn't really our Buffalo Trace version that we are hoping to keg in a few weeks.  We did do a taste test of it a couple weeks ago directly from the barrel, and its definitely promising.  We also had an extra barrel we had to fill, so we put in a strong pale ale (really it was our un-dryhopped triple IPA) that I have to admit I was skeptical of, but the taste test of that was surprisingly interesting.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

I noticed you used the entire month, instead of just the first half like my post stated...

BWI had five straight days in April 2007 that never got out of the 40's (and also had accumulating snow). I had snow falling on both 4/7/18 and 4/9/18 and accumulating on 4/9/16. 40's in April is cold to me- that's our average DJF high. The first half of April can be a winter month- I could fill the entire page up with examples.

This is perspective and not right/wrong. I don’t consider 40s that cold.  Of course I was just skiing with a temperature of -10 and honestly that didn’t feel that bad when the sun was out so I might be a bit if a freak. I’ll admit that.  

But my bigger point was even the marginally “chilly” periods you can get in April are not going to last. 2018 had 2 cold shots but both were in and out in 3 days with 60s-70s bookending both 3 day periods. 

2007 had one true cold snap (about as cold as it can get in April) but it was only 5 days and bookended with 50s/60s. 

So even in a worst case scenario coldest April possible we will still end up with more 60+ days than below 50 days and it won’t even be close. Cold just can’t hold that late. So yes we could suffer a 3-5 day “chilly” period if we get a monster -NAO but a few days in the 40s in a month dominated by 60s overall is not going to really bother me at all. But that’s just me. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on this. 

Rainy days are the exception btw. A rainy day can be miserable in April but does it really matter if it’s 48 and raining or 58 and raining?  Either way I’m not spending much time outside. But again that’s just my opinion. 

• Like 1

@Bob Chill, today was an awesome day for a ride (which you probably knew already)!!  Yesterday would have been fine too, but I was unfortunately busy and didn't get out.  However, I wasn't going to let anything deter me this afternoon.  Even to get out there for a relatively short time, it was great to go for a spin.  I hope you were able to take advantage of this weather either yesterday or today yourself and hit some trails!

58 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

There are still many here who enjoy tracking through the end of the winter season which is several weeks away .  At least keep this negative stuff out of the main thread and in here. :) 

Have you been viewing the main thread? (I know you have) My post was very positive compared to many others :)

3 hours ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

@Bob Chill, today was an awesome day for a ride (which you probably knew already)!!  Yesterday would have been fine too, but I was unfortunately busy and didn't get out.  However, I wasn't going to let anything deter me this afternoon.  Even to get out there for a relatively short time, it was great to go for a spin.  I hope you were able to take advantage of this weather either yesterday or today yourself and hit some trails!

I just couldn't squeeze it in today... I tried but was working on wife's car doing all scheduled maintenance except for 1 extra thing... rear brake job. Which is actually easy except when the rotor screws are crusted and rusted and you have to fight, kick, and scream before finally giving in and drilling them out. Lol. No other car or truck I've owned has screws like that. It's been a great car (Honda). No compaints except stealing my bike ride. Haha. Oh, I did not replace the screws because they aren't necessary. All rotors on practically every car are held by pressure from the wheel and a little rust.

3 hours ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Yes it was! The kids had the day off and it allowed my youngest daughter to get in rides on her ponies. Beautiful day!

Sorry such a crappy year there in the MA, painful reading the threads.  I still have lots family and friends there who are sad for such a low snow winter. 

Lower than normal snow pack here in Central Oregon for this time of year. The consistent storm tracks have been into Washington and northeastern Oregon. 

Of course, a bad snow year in the Cascades is better than a great snow year in many places. 

Different perspective living in a big snow pack area than my memories of Virginia.  I'm totally happy now if it doesn't snow at my house. It makes walking the dogs, life and work easier and there is always snow nearby.   

I remember many winter drives to Canaan Valley to get into the snow and they are even having a crappy season. 

February has been dry and sunny here but the skiing is great for now. 

Photo from this afternoon with 10,300 foot South Sister in the distance.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Close to a lock for a solid #2 seed, I'd imagine?  (Assuming things remain constant to selection Sunday).

They are definitely a 2 seed as of now. They have a tough remaining schedule, but if they can play well and win the Big 10 they could get a number 1 seed.

7 hours ago, ravensrule said:

They are definitely a 2 seed as of now. They have a tough remaining schedule, but if they can play well and win the Big 10 they could get a number 1 seed.

Since 1985 there’s less than a 50% chance a number 1 makes the title game. Once there the percentage of winning the title goes up to around 60%. 

27 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Its what we do . :mapsnow:

In all seriousness I love this stuff . As far as snow.......It will snow again . Maybe in a few days,  maybe next week,  maybe in March , Maybe in April . I actually dont recall a February since I moved to Carroll  county in 1988 that didn't see snow.  It would be a first.  Its really really hard to not snow up this way in February.

yeah Tommy T was mentioning that last night on the news, could be the first snowless February ever. 

15 hours ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

I was tempted to ride outside yesterday, but ended up doing some zwift on the trainer indoors.  Looking forward to having some nice riding weather (though I'm okay with delaying it if we can get some real winter.  The 40s just aren't good for anything.)

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic