Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Banter 2020

George BM

2 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

I hated the move to the big 10 at first but I really like it now. Miss the Duke and NC games of course but the Terps have had better recruiting since the switch. When they were in the ACC there were a lot of bummer recruiting seasons where players just wouldn't commit. I'm seeing less of that now. Doesn't seem to be a coincidence. Big 10 is the best conf in the league this year and the Terps are flourishing. 

In other news... doesn't look like the terps will bump up more than 1 place in the rankings. Louisville is the only loss above them this week. I really want a 1 or 2 seed in the tourney so they can have an easier time getting to the sweet 16. Long ways to go tho

Florida State lost to Duke on Monday night. The polls come out Monday at noon, so that loss wasn’t reflected. We should move to 7 ahead of Florida State and Louisville. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Dabuckeyes said:

I have to ask...why do you put parentheses around half of your comments. Are you having an internal dialogue?

Lol...That's a good question. Ya know, I'm only now realizing just how much I do it until you said that :lol: I think it's because I often I end up expressing a lot of "sidebar" thoughts that are kinda related to the preceding sentence, but not completely (same thing during my personal interactions in reality, lol....Dang it I just did it again!) My ADD brain often wants to get multiple thoughts out at once; but then, my mild OCD drives my compulsion to keep the paragraph on one subject. Could be grammatical laziness too...wanting to express quickly yet not having the patience for using the proper syntax to put the thoughts together, lol

P.S. I moved this to banter so we wouldn't crowd the thread...despite the dirth of optimism at the moment, lol

6 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

I hated the move to the big 10 at first but I really like it now. Miss the Duke and NC games of course but the Terps have had better recruiting since the switch. When they were in the ACC there were a lot of bummer recruiting seasons where players just wouldn't commit. I'm seeing less of that now. Doesn't seem to be a coincidence. Big 10 is the best conf in the league this year and the Terps are flourishing. 

In other news... doesn't look like the terps will bump up more than 1 place in the rankings. Louisville is the only loss above them this week. I really want a 1 or 2 seed in the tourney so they can have an easier time getting to the sweet 16. Long ways to go tho

I am really falling in love with college football! NFL football, too!

12 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

That was sick! The final 11 points?!? In about a minute!

12 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

It was the final 14. 4 3’s and 2 FT’s. They were down 60-53

I didn’t think I was crazy. We were talking about two different things. When I said “final 11 points,” I was talking about Cowan. 

12 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Did u ever go to Midnight madness back in the day at Cole . I went from  92' - 95' . Lots of good memories. 

Yes!!! Was later 90s for me, but yes my mom took me every year. Family had sweet seats, 4 from the floor. I still recall my days of yelling “Boooooth” lol

My mom makes scrapbooks for a player (or 3) from the time they enter until they leave, of every season. 

WaPo did an article on her a year ago: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/12/23/these-diehard-maryland-fans-make-page-scrapbooks-every-mens-basketball-player/%3foutputType=amp

ive had dinner with players, Boom Osbey has been to her house lol 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cbmclean said:

I'm just kind of curious if you know what scapism actually was (or supposedly was).  I happened to run across in my usuall Wikipedia leisure reading.  So it caught my attention when I saw a beer named after it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scaphism

Yeah if you go to my beer advocate link, it has the whole description about the name lol cool stuff 

11 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

Never been convinced that a 1 seed is the best place to be. A 2/3 seed has 4 double digit seeds in their half of the bracket. I think that’s why so few one seeds (comparatively) make the final 4.

19 minutes ago, mappy said:

I was at that game lol it was brutal 

That game was true vomit worthy. I watched on TV as I wasn't around here. I've seen the final minute replay a few times. It's like undivine intervention because even trying their hardest to lose shouldn't be enough to fail to fail like that. I always hated Duke games. That one made me a lifetime hater with no cure. 

20 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Never been convinced that a 1 seed is the best place to be. A 2/3 seed has 4 double digit seeds in their half of the bracket. I think that’s why so few one seeds (comparatively) make the final 4.

Agree 2-3 seed would be ideal. 4--5 seed is worse than a 1 seed though. Trap games lurking in the first 2 rounds. MD has a knack at failing during trap games. 

34 minutes ago, mappy said:

Also, last nights win reminded me of that game they lost years ago at Cole, to Duke, in the final minute. Anyone else remember that? 

30 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

R u kidding ....10 point lead with 1 minute to go . I've never seen anything like it since

I was just talking about that game Friday night while working at the brewery. I do a lot of people watching at work and this guy was with a really cute girl and things looked like they were going really well. They appeared to be having a great conversation and she was soooo into him, smiling and hanging on to every word he said. And then, in an instant, he must have hit that alcohol point where you can’t help the crap that spews from your mouth because she turned on him like the mjo heading into the cod.

My comment to my co-worker was, “I haven’t seen anything that bad since MD blew a ten point lead in the final 1:09 against Duke.”

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

That game was true vomit worthy. I watched on TV as I wasn't around here. I've seen the final minute replay a few times. It's like undivine intervention because even trying their hardest to lose shouldn't be enough to fail to fail like that. I always hated Duke games. That one made me a lifetime hater with no cure. 

Yes! Even not being in the ACC anymore, I still get tingles when I hear Duke loses big time. It’s soothing for the soul. UNC can suck it too. 

10 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I was just talking about that game Friday night while working at the brewery. I do a lot of people watching at work and this guy was with a really cute girl and things looked like they were going really well. They appeared to be having a great conversation and she was soooo into him, smiling and hanging on to every word he said. And then, in an instant, he must have hit that alcohol point where you can’t help the crap that spews from your mouth because she turned on him like the mjo heading into the cod.

My comment to my co-worker was, “I haven’t seen anything that bad since MD blew a ten point lead in the final 1:09 against Duke.”

Hahahahahahaha that’s great, poor guy tho

3 minutes ago, mappy said:

Yes! Even not being in the ACC anymore, I still get tingles when I hear Duke loses big time. It’s soothing for the soul. UNC can suck it too

The fun thing about duke and nc is they were always scared to play md. Always a threat even unranked. Gary Williams was an absolute master of preparation for those big games.

I saw Gary on a golf course years ago shortly after be retired. Didn't talk to him but watched him scream profanity and slam a club when he shanked a shot. Old habits die hard I suppose. LOL

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

The fun thing about duke and nc is they were always scared to play md. Always a threat even unranked. Gary Williams was an absolute master of preparation for those big games.

I saw Gary on a golf course years ago shortly after be retired. Didn't talk to him but watched him scream profanity and slam a club when he shanked a shot. Old habits die hard I suppose. LOL

ha, I could def see that. I was lucky enough to meet Gary one season. I think it was after 06/07. My mom had just begun doing the scrapbooks, Osbey was her first. he invited her, plus a date, to their end of year coaches/players dinner. She asked me to go. Meet everyone on the roster that year. Vasquez and Hayes, are two I remember sitting and chatting with for a while. Good guys. 

1 hour ago, mappy said:

I was at that game lol it was brutal 

Me too. The game was called "gone in 54 seconds". I had season tickets from the early 90's until the new arena was built. I have walked out of Cole after many brutal and devastating losses but that was by far the worst. The terps dominated that game and then a total collapse. At least if you  were a Ravens fan they won their first superbowl the next day. That wasn't rock bottom that season a couple weeks later they lost at home to Florida State. As it turned out that was the best thing that could've happened to the team. Jaun Dixon had a sit down with Gary. Gary's demeanor and coaching style changed and that propelled the team to beat duke in the rematch at Cameron a few weeks later and to make their first final 4. Then of course they blew a 22 point lead to duke in the national semifinals.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Heck of a redemption story though. Last year’s tournament was the worst ever for my bracket.

I'll always be so thankful that I got to spend my first year at UVA with our basketball team winning the NCAA Championship... little else can raise the spirits of a school in that way. So much fun.

6 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Heck of a redemption story though. Last year’s tournament was the worst ever for my bracket.

I'm in a pretty big bracket pool every year and the most common winners are those that don't follow basketball. lol. I did hit first place my first year in the pool and took a lot of flak from the "old schoolers". I've since made up for it by sucking 5 straight years since. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HighStakes said:

Me too. The game was called "gone in 54 seconds". I had season tickets from the early 90's until the new arena was built. I have walked out of Cole after many brutal and devastating losses but that was by far the worst. The terps dominated that game and then a total collapse. At least if you  were a Ravens fan they won their first superbowl the next day. That wasn't rock bottom that season a couple weeks later they lost at home to Florida State. As it turned out that was the best thing that could've happened to the team. Jaun Dixon had a sit down with Gary. Gary's demeanor and coaching style changed and that propelled the team to beat duke in the rematch at Cameron a few weeks later and to make their first final 4. Then of course they blew a 22 point lead to duke in the national semifinals.

I miss that team, the one that won in 2002. They were a blast to watch. 
semi sad story, but just goes to show how died hard my family are when it comes to the Terps. My mom went to Atlanta for the tourney, at the time my grandfather was dying from cancer. He encouraged her to go, he wanted her to experience it...so she did. My grandfather died the morning after they won. My mom didn’t get to say goodbye, but she was happy he got to see them win before moving on. My grandmother continued going for years before she too got too sick to go. My mom gets season tickets, same section in Comcast my grandmother had tickets. It’s just a family thing now...weird but sentimental 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

I broke the remote to the TV watching that last minute. It was bad lol.

I was 16, lucky that one of my uncles couldn’t make the game and as the oldest grandkid I had first dibs to go. But omg, I remember just standing there in silence watching them lose. It was unreal how stunned everyone was. And Cole would get LOUD as anyone who has been there can attest to. Just a gut punch of a loss.

30 minutes ago, mappy said:

I miss that team, the one that won in 2002. They were a blast to watch. 
semi sad story, but just goes to show how died hard my family are when it comes to the Terps. My mom went to Atlanta for the tourney, at the time my grandfather was dying from cancer. He encouraged her to go, he wanted her to experience it...so she did. My grandfather died the morning after they won. My mom didn’t get to say goodbye, but she was happy he got to see them win before moving on. My grandmother continued going for years before she too got too sick to go. My mom gets season tickets, same section in Comcast my grandmother had tickets. It’s just a family thing now...weird but sentimental 

I miss those days and those teams too. They were the epitome of team ball.

Sad story but glad for your mom to have that experience. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

I miss those days and those teams too. They were the epitome of team ball.

Sad story but glad for your mom to have that experience. 

They really were. And it’s okay, I wanted to share it because I find it to be wholesome rather than sad. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, mappy said:

Also, last nights win reminded me of that game they lost years ago at Cole, to Duke, in the final minute. Anyone else remember that? 

You are talking about the game in January 2001 the night before the Ravens SB win. I’ll never forget that game Jason Williams destroyed us. 9 points in 54 seconds. Unfortunately i had floor seats for that debacle. 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic