Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February Banter 2020

George BM

17 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

This season is awful but it’s not record breaking. We’ve had other years with almost no snow before. 

the argument could be made that we were simply due for a dud.  i know...gambler's fallacy, yada yada, but in meterology with cycles/oscillations/etc. being due might have some merit.  i think what adds insult to injury for this winter is that aside from that january event last year (which was a great storm imo), we've been on a slide since jan '16.  that's a long stretch, so hopefully the pattern shifts.

lwx made a fb post in regards to the ++++++++++++AO being the main culprit for this winter's dud.  others have said similar obviously, but it was the first time i'd seen lwx make a post about it.

I continue to believe that...if we were to pull out a miracle snow or something...and it is enough for us to shovel...it'll be a foot, I'm telling ya. Problem is the odds are still long. Just saying though...with a fluke, or us getting lucky with timing or whatever...we already know that it would likely be more than enough moisture. So I think we either fluke and get a foot, or continue on the way we have (with maybe a couple mangled flakes at best). Hard to see it being an in between 5-8 or something...not in a year like this, lol But again, long odds atm...not saying or pinning any hope on something...just a guess on what might happen if we get a miracle, lol

just saw another post by lwx today that says since 1931/32, every single winter has had colder temperatures.  apparently, dc has failed to drop below 22 degrees.  i don't have a weather station, but i'm pretty sure we had 1 or 2 nights that were bitter cold.  of course, gotta take into account uhi and where they're actually observing.  anyhow, that's that.  it's been a winter of not being cold enough when we need it to be cold enough.

36 minutes ago, 87storms said:

the argument could be made that we were simply due for a dud.  i know...gambler's fallacy, yada yada, but in meterology with cycles/oscillations/etc. being due might have some merit.  i think what adds insult to injury for this winter is that aside from that january event last year (which was a great storm imo), we've been on a slide since jan '16.  that's a long stretch, so hopefully the pattern shifts.

lwx made a fb post in regards to the ++++++++++++AO being the main culprit for this winter's dud.  others have said similar obviously, but it was the first time i'd seen lwx make a post about it.

Problem is he acts like every year is a dud. The last 2, for example, were pretty typical run of the mill normal mid Atlantic snowfall winters. 2018 had a screw zone in western VA and 2019 had one in northeast MD but overall for the entire region it was near median to a little better than median snowfall over the two years. Not good but definitely not a bad 2 year period by our standards. Yet he acted like the last 2 years were awful. This year has been awful. The last 2 years were just typical normal mid Atlantic snowfall winters. 

31 minutes ago, 87storms said:

just saw another post by lwx today that says since 1931/32, every single winter has had colder temperatures.  apparently, dc has failed to drop below 22 degrees.  i don't have a weather station, but i'm pretty sure we had 1 or 2 nights that were bitter cold.  of course, gotta take into account uhi and where they're actually observing.  anyhow, that's that.  it's been a winter of not being cold enough when we need it to be cold enough.

They were basing that off DCA temps

2 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

Problem is he acts like every year is a dud. The last 2, for example, were pretty typical run of the mill normal mid Atlantic snowfall winters. 2018 had a screw zone in western VA and 2019 had one in northeast MD but overall for the entire region it was near median to a little better than median snowfall over the two years. Not good but definitely not a bad 2 year period by our standards. Yet he acted like the last 2 years were awful. This year has been awful. The last 2 years were just typical normal mid Atlantic snowfall winters. 

we're not the upper midwest or new england.  anyone who loves the snow that much is in the wrong spot, period.  i don't like the cold enough to sacrifice milder weather for snow.  colorado is a near sweet spot, but i love true seasons and lush green.  

re 17/18 winter...it was a bit subpar around the city imo.  we had a storm in march that padded what would have otherwise been lame results.  it wouldn't surprise me one iota if northern md faired better.  i think what we need is a solid wall to wall winter like 13-15.  those were premier winters...top shelf for this area.  doesn't have to snow all the way through, but it's been a minute since winter felt like winter for 3 solid months.

edit: meant to say 17/18

2 minutes ago, 87storms said:

we're not the upper midwest or new england.  anyone who loves the snow that much is in the wrong spot, period.  i don't like the cold enough to sacrifice milder weather for snow.  colorado is a near sweet spot, but i love true seasons and lush green.  

re 18/19 winter...it was a bit subpar around the city imo.  we had a storm in march that padded what would have otherwise been lame results.  it wouldn't surprise me one iota if northern md faired better.  i think what we need is a solid wall to wall winter like 13-15.  those were premier winters...top shelf for this area.  doesn't have to snow all the way through, but it's been a minute since winter felt like winter for 3 solid months.

I would LOVE to live somewhere out west for the lifestyle...but I would likely miss the chase of the big coastal storms.  Snow in the intermountain west is different, mostly dependent on the wind trajectory and upslope.  Radar is mostly useless.  You don't really get to "track" the big wound up storms the same way.  For me the perfect compromise of both getting those big east coast bomb type storms plus more consistent snow and the mountain lifestyle would probably be somewhere like New Hampshire.  

13 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I would LOVE to live somewhere out west for the lifestyle...but I would likely miss the chase of the big coastal storms.  Snow in the intermountain west is different, mostly dependent on the wind trajectory and upslope.  Radar is mostly useless.  You don't really get to "track" the big wound up storms the same way.  For me the perfect compromise of both getting those big east coast bomb type storms plus more consistent snow and the mountain lifestyle would probably be somewhere like New Hampshire.  

new england makes sense.  for what you lack in warmer weather, you make up for it with legit winters (usually).  not sure if i'd like the extended cold season, though.  seems like it can be chilly/gray through april there whereas by mid march i'm usually ready for spring.

17 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

yea..i would think Like Fort Kent Maine...or really anywhere in New England away from the coast would be amazing.

12 minutes ago, Ji said:

Where is the best place to chase snow(seeing snow actually fall) in this area without having to rely on a big storm...i dont want to really travel more than 3 hours. Is it the usual suspects? Garrett county, Davis WV, somerset, PA? @psuhoffman

Yea by far the greatest chance of seeing snow fall in our area is around Davis WV.  They have by far the highest mean snowfall plus a LOT of it comes from small upslope events.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

This season is awful but it’s not record breaking. We’ve had other years with almost no snow before. 

If we get nothing more, only 2 seasons are worse, and only by fractions of an inch. So we are kind of splitting hairs here. Its pretty record breaking. If DC experienced the 3rd snowiest winter on record, wouldn't that be record breaking? You bet it would. So why don't the same conditions apply here?

Of course, I still think we managed a few mangled inches late Feb or early March inches, to make it just bad, instead of historically bad. But who knows. Maybe not. It doesn't want to snow at all.

Just now, RevWarReenactor said:

If we get nothing more, only 2 seasons are worse, and only by fractions of an inch. So we are kind of splitting hairs here. Its pretty record breaking. If DC experienced the 3rd snowiest winter on record, wouldn't that be record breaking? You bet it would.

Of course, I still think we managed a few mangles late Feb or early March inches, to make it just bad, instead of historically bad. But who knows. Maybe not. It doesn't want to snow at all.

4d5.png.bccac200b0d238ac735c6db6af077bbb.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

You all could just put him on ignore. That's a thing. It works.

Great idea. Oh wait... that only works if everyone ignores him and doesn't respond to his posts. :whistle:

I am not knocking your suggestion. It's just that on the rare occasions I have put someone on ignore it didn't mean squat because of all the responses to the said poster.

1 hour ago, Ji said:

Where is the best place to chase snow(seeing snow actually fall) in this area without having to rely on a big storm...i dont want to really travel more than 3 hours. Is it the usual suspects? Garrett county, Davis WV, somerset, PA? @psuhoffman

Anywhere along the spine of the Apps will work, from SW PA down thru Davis to Snowshoe and Duo/Quinwood WV.

3 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

Great idea. Oh wait... that only works if everyone ignores him and doesn't respond to his posts. :whistle:

I am not knocking your suggestion. It's just that on the rare occasions I have put someone on ignore it didn't mean squat because of all the responses to the said poster.

Even without the ignore button, I just skim over his posts and also all the posts arguing with him, except when someone actually presents hard data which I find interesting. 

Speaking of which I downloaded the hard data for RDU from the NOAA and have started to slice and dice various interesting statistics.  So far I have seen that December was "only" our 12th warmest, but it was tied for 6th for least number of days with min<32. 

Has anyone seen the numbers for Dec and Jan for IAD and DCA in terms of Tavg?

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic