Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February Banter 2020

George BM

13 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Looking across all guidance the only shot we have over the next 10-12 days would be a quick trailer after a front. Air is moving fast so the "cold windows" are literally less than 48 hours long. Miss that by 15 minutes and we get another free car wash

Yeah, been saving a lot of money this winter with free car washes!  And very little salt on the roads this year, too, so my dark blue Honda Civic actually still looks...blue!

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

I think it was snowing 3 weeks ago :ph34r:

1 hour ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Where?

I haven't seen a flake since early Jan. Wait, that was a sleet pellet.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure I haven’t had a flake since the early January storm. I’ve been traveling a lot so I guess I could have missed some sort of accumulation-less slop.

30 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

My area has recorded its earliest leaf out in the 39 year history of the metric.  It is currently 71 °F at my house.:cliff:

Leaf out already? I know you’re well south into North Carolina, but wow...that’s nuts.

I came back from a work trip last week and saw the maples had started to bud around here. While I recall early buds before, I can’t remember them popping this early.

1 minute ago, mattie g said:

Leaf out already? I know you’re well south into North Carolina, but wow...that’s nuts.

I came back from a work trip last week and saw the maples had started to bud around here. While I recall early buds before, I can’t remember them popping this early.

Don’t think those are buds. Those are those little pods of those helicopter things. They come before the actual leaf bud

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Yeah, I’m pretty sure I haven’t had a flake since the early January storm. I’ve been traveling a lot so I guess I could have missed some sort of accumulation-less slop.

I relatively jackpotted among us lowlanders with 0.75” in wee hours of January 18, followed by mixing and eventually a little freezing rain late in the day.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Wilson is actually in northern NC. Only about 3.5 hours from DC.

55 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Sigh

image.png.a2ee02a32754423ade3322c52feb31e2.png

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, StantonParkHoya said:

Wilson is actually in northern NC. Only about 3.5 hours from DC.

Its more east-central.  My climatology is nowhere near you guys.  I hang out here because the posters are the most knowledgeable and the large scale pattern drivers are mostly the same for me as for you. 

NC is fairly diverse for climate at its latitude.  The SE quadrant (Wilmington and environs) is darn near tropical.  The NW piedmont is much more continental (relatively speaking of course) and the high mountains actually get a good bit of snow.   

17 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

Ugly second half for the terps. Almost blew it. Classic trap game with Michigan st. Coming up on Saturday.

Yea, they had a perfect chance to lock it down mid 2nd half but decided to implode instead. My son asked me how the game was and I said the Terps tried their absolute hardest to lose but somehow accidentally won

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

It's really really difficult for it to not snow here in February.  I'd be pretty darn shocked if most dont see at least a light event before the end of the month .  

Will have to luck into a fluky event if the  +++AO/NAO persists. There are at least some signs that could happen beginning late next week, and maybe some relaxation up top beyond that.

11 minutes ago, mappy said:

i know its been awful for everyone, but i have less than 10 inches of snow, and thats terrible. need more snow. 

Your current backyard (I know you didn’t live there back then) probably ended up with just over 10” in 2011-12. I think my total that year was 6.5”, but your area did very well in that October storm.

43 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

It's really really difficult for it to not snow here in February.  I'd be pretty darn shocked if most dont see at least a light event before the end of the month .  

Honestly can't recall 1 such time since 1988 when we moved up here to Carroll county.  It would be a first. 

A bad February can be really, really bad. Memories of February 2002 and 2004 still haunt me to this day.

2 minutes ago, Fozz said:

Your current backyard (I know you didn’t live there back then) probably ended up with just over 10” in 2011-12. I think my total that year was 6.5”, but your area did very well in that October storm.

why is this important to me? 

TO be honest, I figured something would have happened by now. Even if its 2-3 inches and even if its confined NW of I-95, or even a snowstorm for NYC and Boston while we watch.

This complete shutout is pretty mind boggling.

I still think we do pull in some mangled couple of inches to make this winter just bad instead of record breaking bad. But as the days go on, maybe we do go the record breaking route.

23 minutes ago, RevWarReenactor said:

TO be honest, I figured something would have happened by now. Even if its 2-3 inches and even if its confined NW of I-95, or even a snowstorm for NYC and Boston while we watch.

This complete shutout is pretty mind boggling.

I still think we do pull in some mangled couple of inches to make this winter just bad instead of record breaking bad. But as the days go on, maybe we do go the record breaking route.

This season is awful but it’s not record breaking. We’ve had other years with almost no snow before. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic