Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
February Banter 2020

George BM

44 minutes ago, snownut said:

Steve,  Lived in the Mid Atlantic for 47 years then move to high desert of Central Oregon almost 6 years ago.  Love it here, ironically summer is now my favorite season because the nights are always cool, the humidity is low, endless sunshine and bright blue sky with lots of outdoor recreation right out my door.  The other crazy awesome thing, there are almost no bugs here, my pets have never had flees or ticks since moving here. (Some mosquitoes around the lake shores and right on the snow melt line ) Don't even need window screens and I do not have AC in my house.  There is literally always snow or snow fields in the mountains.  Goes down to very little in late August, September but I have never not seen snow on the high Cascades.   

So it can get really hot on the summer afternoons but it is always dry and then cools of to jacket weather at night.    So topping out at 65 you'd probably need to be very high elevation or coastal areas?  No floods or earthquakes here so biggest risk are wild fires.  Had one summer with bad smoke in August and another with moderate smoke.  Last summer was perfect with zero smoke more scattered thunderstorms than usual. Most of the summer had high in the 70's and low's in the 40's 

Think you'd like the PNW or Idaho / Montana or Wyoming ?

Good thing here, our town is growing fast and has lots to offer for it's size.   check it out,  come spring ski and golf the same day in April even May . https://www.visitbend.com/

Bend was second on my son's short list. He picked Breck over it for the fact that there were more ski resorts in the immediate area. He has been to the area twice though, and said it is a nice place.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Steve25 said:

I personally love the cold and snow as much as anyone can, so yeah, winters like this are a bummer. 

With that said, I LOATHE Spring and Summer. So no matter how disappointing the Winter is, I still enjoy and appreciate it immensely. As soon as everything starts to blossom, bugs start swarming, and the humidity kicks back in, I'm going to miss the hell out of these 40 degree, rainy days! 

Also, to take my own advice, I am working hard to get my life to a place where I can move somewhere that lacks Summer, or at least is much more tolerable. If I could just find a place with brutal winters and Summers that top out at like 65 degrees, I'd be in heaven. I don't know if such a place exists with realistic living conditions. 

The higher elevations of western New Mexico?

1 hour ago, snownut said:

No floods or earthquakes here so biggest risk are wild fires. 

Volcanoes? :)

22 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

Bend was second on my son's short list. He picked Breck over it for the fact that there were more ski resorts in the immediate area. He has been to the area twice though, and said it is a nice place.

Totally get that.  Colorado is loaded with ski options! Colorado was on my relocation list,  my wife wanted easy drive to the ocean coast.  Not much coastline in CO. haha 

Mt Bachelor basically it for skiing here. 21 mile drive from my house, so I can go for a few hours in the morning or afternoon and work the opposite.  

Hoodoo & Willamette Pass are pretty close but I have not been to those to ski.  I am too old for any crazy skiing and prefer the warmer winter temps. 

Spring skiing can be amazing in late March through May,  still have deep base, more sunshine and almost no people. We get a bunch of Washington State ski tourists here.  Couple years ago there were huge numbers of CA skiers.  Snow here is more consistent, CA has had very poor snow seasons.   Mount Hood is a pretty big ski area but the snow there is almost always heavy wet snow.  We get way more powder storms here being farther from the coast. 

30 minutes ago, 87storms said:

yea, this winter is a dud.  still some time for a snowfall, but it's not a good look when we've had rainer after rainer through our prime climo.  what can ya do.

I did a nice trail ride in the lake frank / meadowside area yesterday. Learned I was a little out of shape tho... Felt like an athlete when I got home followed by feeling like a 70 year old when I woke up today... LoL

Doesn't take long to get back in shape. A couple weeks of riding 3-4 times per week. Need this fookin rain to knock it off first

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

I did a nice trail ride in the lake frank / meadowside area yesterday. Learned I was a little out of shape tho... Felt like an athlete when I got home followed by feeling like a 70 year old when I woke up today... LoL

Doesn't take long to get back in shape. A couple weeks of riding 3-4 times per week. Need this fookin rain to knock it off first

Haha!  Man, I hear you there!  Feel great and in shape at the time, but then the next morning it's like "what the hell did I do to myself?!?!"  Not the same like many years ago where I could ride like there's no tomorrow and be completely fine!  It's like the softball tournament in this alumni league I play for.  It's a helluva lot of fun, and I can get up at 5AM Saturday for our 1st game (at 7AM!).  But by 5PM at the end of the day, holy sh*t do I feel awful!  And then have another game or two the next day!  Of course, this past summer, I couldn't play in the tourney due to a broken finger (from an earlier regular season game!), which I still had a pin in place before being removed.  But I still got up early to watch and participate.  And by "participate", I mean drink beer and eat food all day!!:D  And take photos.  It was still a lot of fun anyhow, though I was unable to play!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

@nj2va @nw baltimore wx @Scraff

What is going on with the caps??

Not playing good hockey right now.

Practically every year that they look amazing they also include a stretch of wtf. Prob just that. They aren't going to make it far in the playoffs when their net isn't properly protected. That's in the back of everyone's mind I'm sure 

29 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

Surprised Samsonov got beat 3 times in the 1st.  Off night I guess for him... but 10 goals given up in last 4 periods is no bueno.

Also surprised Ovie didnt get some home cooking with the goal that they gave to Carlson

33 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Practically every year that they look amazing they also include a stretch of wtf. Prob just that. They aren't going to make it far in the playoffs when their net isn't properly protected. That's in the back of everyone's mind I'm sure 

There gonna have to fiquire out how to shore up there D. Way to many odd man breakaways. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

Straight trash. Uninspired. Sloppy. Swiss cheese defense. What else can I add? Let’s remember that they have been one of the best this season as well. So basically this is just an awful slump. About as bad as our winter! Lol. I’m not blaming a lot of this on Holts or Sammy like @Bob Chill alluded too. The goalies been hung out to dry way too much. Can only ask so much. 

24 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

There gonna have to fiquire out how to shore up there D. Way to many odd man breakaways. 

Our D and puck play has been straight up garbage as of late. Our goaltending has left a lot to be desired but we can only place so much blame there. 

time to light a fire under their asses. Ovi is a good leader and will help figure it out. 

3 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

i felt like that after playing hoops 2 weeks ago.  i've biked some of those trails before.  my aunt and uncle live in that area...it's a hidden world back there.  the rain is definitely mucking things up for now which sucks because i'm trying to get back into shape as well...been on retirement since november lol

i agree with your general theory...if it ain't gonna snow, you gotta find other ways to make things happen.

56 minutes ago, Scraff said:

Straight trash. Uninspired. Sloppy. Swiss cheese defense. What else can I add? Let’s remember that they have been one of the best this season as well. So basically this is just an awful slump. About as bad as our winter! Lol. I’m not blaming a lot of this on Holts or Sammy like @Bob Chill alluded too. The goalies been hung out to dry way too much. Can only ask so much. 

I didnt mean to single out the goalies. Too many easy goals across the board. That's on the entire team. Not happy about it. It's getting into their heads.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I didnt mean to single out the goalies. Too many easy goals across the board. That's on the entire team. Not happy about it. It's getting into their heads.

I hear ya for sure. Plenty of softies let it in along the way. At least Holts looks rock solid since coming in. Maybe we can still pull this out. 

4 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

There is a good side to having a +++AO... 

VlpwZKh.png

Only need 20 more straight years of this, and we might have the Arctic sea ice back in a reasonable shape.

Actually, this is an interesting hypothetical discussion.  There is a rather strident guy over at WattsUpWithThat (don't throw tomatoes, I just go there for the graphs, honest) who is convinced that the entire institution of climatology is full of poo and that AGW is not going to be a big issue because it will be severely moderated by negative feedback mechanisms.  One of the negative feedback mechanisms that he has touted is increased cloud cover due to convection in the SW Pacific. 

So for fun's sake let's just assume the following hypothetical: that he is on to something and the increased MJO forcing in the maritime continent/crap zones that we love so much is actually impacting the AO to become more positive.  So let's assume that our recent predilection to go on season-long grand tours of zones 4 -5- 6 is the new base state which will cause us 20 straight years of snowless misery, give or take the occasional fluke.  BUT let's also assume that it will cause a continual +++AO which will keep the cold air locked up in the Arctic and will thus help the Arctic sea ice to significantly recover.

So my hypothetical question is: will you guys accept the trade-off.  Would 20 years of this kind of fail be worth it to get back to the halcyon days of yore with a cool base state?

50 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

So my hypothetical question is: will you guys accept the trade-off.  Would 20 years of this kind of fail be worth it to get back to the halcyon days of yore with a cool base state?

This is an easy one. I ain't no spring chicken and no way would I trade-off 20 years for any reason. 

2 hours ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Ten years ago today...the 2nd big storm in less than a week!  Of the many photos I took that season, this is my favorite (and perhaps epitomizes that winter):

100_1367.thumb.JPG.036041c33e1031ae62b6d7417ca98bf5.JPG

Happy anniversary! 20" on top of 25" from 2/6. I will always be proud of this footage that I caught at the height of the storm. I was still 19 at the time.

• Like 4

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic