Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Banter 2020

George BM

9 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

Just to get this out of the way first... I'm not a doctor or a scientist or have any professional training in the medical field. Ok, done with that.

I just want to point something out that really concerned me with your posts last night. Busts, duds, and lame winters are 100% out of our control. Always have been and always will be. That's actually what makes it fun for many of us. Digging in and trying to solve a complex riddle that nobody can change the outcome of. Do we all get frustrated, mad, or sad? Oh heck yea man. Like a boss. But that can be controlled at least a little right?

Having your days and/or weeks being semi-ruined because of something nobody can control is not a healthy cycle. This game is supposed to be fun for the most part. Yes, it tries patience and nerves. That's just normal human reaction to disappointment. What you are posting isn't the same and it makes me concerned as a friend. I'm not judging a damn thing and I'm certainly not looking down on anyone. We all got problems man. But we're human and supposed to right?

I have no magic advice here but I will say that there are signs that this nutty game could be having adverse consequences on a larger part of your life than it should. And I never want to see anyone be excessively sad for any reason ever. 

We all deal with our own demons and voices in our head. I'm no angel there and neither is anyone on this sub if I had to guess. Life stress will eat you alive if you let it. I keep very simple guidelines in my life to help me think through stuff when I'm "off". Consider using these if possible:

1. There 2 kinds of triggers of stress or depression or whatever in life and they are easily divided in 2 categories: those that you can control and those that you have zero control over. Weather is cleanly in the latter category. 

2. When dealing with things you have no control over you have to recognize that and accept it. Don't run yourself ragged over things you can't control.  It's a vicious cycle. Tell yourself you will not allow things you cannot control to steal your happiness and well being. Tell yourself this often. It helps. Trust me. 

3. For things you can control, action is medicine. Sounds easier said than done but happiness is a valuable commodity. A little action makes a big difference. If you're down on something but you don't put any effort in to fix it then it only gets worse and worse. You can control your sadness over snowfall at least a little right? I can't give advice on how to do this because we're each unique but it all starts with guideline #2.

Thanks for taking the time to write that response, Bob. Yes...there are times when it does adversely affect my life way more than it should...and I really don't know why or how to manage it, tbh. (and I have trouble controlling the sadness the non-snow brings. Snow potential gives the hope of something exciting/fulfilling to look forward to in DJF...) But when an entire season looks bad from January, it's like...the entire winter becomes colored with a gloomy brush (that's how PSU's analysis felt last month)...like the entire Jan and Feb were now worthless, down the toilet, nothing to look forward to, etc...it's tough when this controls ya like this.

1 hour ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Thanks for taking the time to write that response, Bob. Yes...there are times when it does adversely affect my life way more than it should...and I really don't know why or how to manage it, tbh. (and I have trouble controlling the sadness the non-snow brings. Snow potential gives the hope of something exciting/fulfilling to look forward to in DJF...) But when an entire season looks bad from January, it's like...the entire winter becomes colored with a gloomy brush (that's how PSU's analysis felt last month)...like the entire Jan and Feb were now worthless, down the toilet, nothing to look forward to, etc...it's tough when this controls ya like this.

Not gonna lie... this winter has been hard on me. I kept being reasonable and lowering my expectations. Got to the point where I settled on just one 4" storm and call it a winter. No sign as far as we can see unfortunately. If I could make it snow in your yard I would do it immediately. I'll do it in my yard too but I"ll have an inch more. Like 24" for you and 25" for me cuz my yard is #1 in the galaxy. 

We're barely into our best snow month and yet we're still relying on the long range modeling which has been terrible all winter. Something has to change and I believe it will. 6 pack of IPA's for everyone if we don't have a 6" storm in central md by 3/7. It is going to happen. Just remember you all WANT snow but many people NEED snow. In years like this those that need it will reevaluate their business plans but much of the time it's too late as they've already invested too much capital. That's when it becomes what I call snowgambling... the companies like myself who budget and account for snow as a bonus get by but trust me it still hurts.. just paying my snow and ice insurance would put most of our kids through a semester at yale. Nevermind the amount of chemical..

21 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Looks like winter makes a return starting Thursday night through the weekend with more typical deep winter temps.  Hopefully a trend. A little frozen along the way would be nice no doubt. 

Looks like a few days of cold and dry after a wet week, followed by maybe more rain early next week. Some signs of changes in the pattern beyond that though. Need the EPS to get a bit more enthusiastic about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

Looks like winter makes a return starting Thursday night through the weekend with more typical deep winter temps.  Hopefully a trend. A little frozen along the way would be nice no doubt. 

I like how positive you are. We are having a record smashing bad winter where every single thing is out of aliment for snow. Not just snow, record warmth as well. With no end in sight.

Yet, you are like "Yeh man winter is here!!!"

10 minutes ago, H2O said:

You can choose to either bitch about what is and drag yourself and others down OR let things come when they come and focus on more important things in the meantime  

The only thing coming here, is spring.

Snow controls my mood. Lack of snow seriously depresses me. It is what it is. Not like I don't have more important things to worry about either. Snow makes it all better. Zero snow for the entire year is tough.

Not singling anyone out but coming in here anymore is like a...

Study Joy: EZ - Face Saving TRAPS (Behold Turtle)

And for you youngsters that have no idea what I am talking about.

broken record

A person or thing that repeats itself over and over again. Likened to vinyl records that when severely scratched (i.e., "broken") can loop over the same recorded segment endlessly.I feel like a broken record having to tell you this each day, but please clean your room!

broken record

A person or thing that repeats itself over and over again. Likened to vinyl records that when severely scratched (i.e., "broken") can loop over the same recorded segment endlessly.I feel like a broken record having to tell you this each day, but please clean your room!

broken record

broken record

broken record

• Haha 13

9 minutes ago, RevWarReenactor said:

Snow controls my mood. Lack of snow seriously depresses me. It is what it is. Not like I don't have more important things to worry about either. Snow makes it all better. Zero snow for the entire year is tough.

Not saying this in a hateful way, you should seriously think about trying to get your life to a position where you can move somewhere that provides a higher likelihood of snow on a yearly basis if snow legitimately is one of the only things that brings you joy. Life is not as long as we like to think it is. You should spend as much as you can in situations that you know will provide joy for yourself. 

• Like 6

I personally love the cold and snow as much as anyone can, so yeah, winters like this are a bummer. 

With that said, I LOATHE Spring and Summer. So no matter how disappointing the Winter is, I still enjoy and appreciate it immensely. As soon as everything starts to blossom, bugs start swarming, and the humidity kicks back in, I'm going to miss the hell out of these 40 degree, rainy days! 

Also, to take my own advice, I am working hard to get my life to a place where I can move somewhere that lacks Summer, or at least is much more tolerable. If I could just find a place with brutal winters and Summers that top out at like 65 degrees, I'd be in heaven. I don't know if such a place exists with realistic living conditions. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Steve25 said:

Not saying this in a hateful way, you should seriously think about trying to get your life to a position where you can move somewhere that provides a higher likelihood of snow on a yearly basis if snow legitimately is one of the only things that brings you joy. Life is not as long as we like to think it is. You should spend as much as you can in situations that you know will provide joy for yourself. 

He would rather incessantly whine about it.

We live in the subtropics. Need find a way to accept/embrace/cope with what comes with that. Anyone whose happiness/well being is largely dependent on cold and snow is seriously in the wrong place and needs to find a way to relocate elsewhere.

10 minutes ago, Steve25 said:

I personally love the cold and snow as much as anyone can, so yeah, winters like this are a bummer. 

With that said, I LOATHE Spring and Summer. So no matter how disappointing the Winter is, I still enjoy and appreciate it immensely. As soon as everything starts to blossom, bugs start swarming, and the humidity kicks back in, I'm going to miss the hell out of these 40 degree, rainy days! 

Also, to take my own advice, I am working hard to get my life to a place where I can move somewhere that lacks Summer, or at least is much more tolerable. If I could just find a place with brutal winters and Summers that top out at like 65 degrees, I'd be in heaven. I don't know if such a place exists with realistic living conditions. 

Canada?

39 minutes ago, RevWarReenactor said:

Talk with your therapist about this.

The snow is nice....it is peaceful....it can be an escape for a little while. It throws a wrench into everyday life (in areas like our that dont get snow daily from Nov-April) and causes chaos. It's a nice shakeup from the ordinary every so often. But I'm not sure I would want to reside in an area that gets 500" of snow a season. Sure, cool to think about it. Unless you are living under the dependency of someone else, there is alot of responsibility....getting to work to pay the bills for higher home heating fuel etc, shoveling, snowblowing, keeping your property clear for liability purposes, clearing your roof to prevent collapse, driving in the stuff, higher vehicle insurance premiums. You get the point....the snow is always whiter on the other side. If it didnt come with the responsibilities and I lived in someone's  basement I would be all about it. Put you gotta think about all the baggage that comes along with it and put things into perspective. I guess those perspectives and priorities change with age.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, RevWarReenactor said:

Maybe you could gripe somewhere else. The lack of snow may depress you but that doesn’t in turn give you the right to try and depress others.  We have a bitching thread. Perhaps use one of those. If not, maybe one of our mods @mappy, @H2O, @stormtracker would be so kind as to either 5 post or no post you.

1 minute ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

The snow is nice....it is peaceful....it can be an escape for a little while. It throws a wrench into everyday life (in areas like our that dont get snow daily from Nov-April) and causes chaos. It's a nice shakeup from the ordinary every so often. But I'm not sure I would want to reside in an area that gets 500" of snow a season. Sure, cool to think about it. Unless you are living under the dependency of someone else, there is alot of responsibility....getting to work to pay the bills for higher home heating fuel etc, shoveling, snowblowing, keeping your property clear for liability purposes, clearing your roof to prevent collapse, driving in the stuff, higher vehicle insurance premiums. You get the point....the snow is always whiter on the other side. If it didnt come with the responsibilities and I lived in someone's  basement I would be all about it. Put you gotta think about all the baggage that comes along with it and put things into perspective. I guess those perspectives and priorities change with age.

Perfect! I always used to be a snow lover. Grew up in NW Ohio. But as I have aged I enjoy the small events the bigger ones not so much. The thought of being in the house and then the shoveling. 

1 hour ago, RevWarReenactor said:

Here is the thing. I just finished a 6 mo span of therapy, and not because of the lack of snow. I have anxiety, severe at sometimes it triggers panic attacks. What I learned in therapy is that I do not have control over certain things. And I should not hang my day to day life on thinking I do. I have learned that I am a lot better at re-directing and solving issues in my life than I had thought. @H2O is correct in maybe seeing someone. Just like those with SDD (Seasonal Depression Disorder) from lack of sun, you may be dealing with it from the aspect of the season not being what you think it should be. There is no shame in talking to someone who is impartial. :)

• Thanks 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic