Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter 2020

George BM

3 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

Apartment building under construction in Alexandria went up in flames this morning.

4F66C1E7-A18D-484E-9767-0FBEAD723BF0.thumb.png.25f9d39450f0ef93a9e9c0bf07b06b56.png

I'm downwind from the fire, about a mile and half.  Ash lying around all over the place and it just reeks outside.  I'd appreciate some rain right now.

For those familiar with the area, this is directly across Route 1 from the 24-hour WalMart and the Chuck E Cheese, and the Krispy Kreme is a couple blocks south.

https://wtop.com/fairfax-county/2020/02/massive-fire-engulfs-fairfax-county-construction-site/

Made it into JH last night around 12:30. Drive from Idaho falls was longer because Teton pass was closed for avalanche control.  Done a few runs through Saratoga bowl. Chest deep. They’ve had about 40” so far the last 3 days and it’s absolutely dumping right now.  2”/hr easy. It’s supposed to end late tonight then be sunny the next few days. 

F3B72483-9E3F-4D72-AFE0-9CE320063629.thumb.jpeg.9a8fa5b8cac1de4429b16dd4450628e1.jpeg19852789-897A-4292-9B23-377490EF6027.thumb.jpeg.f115c42bdfb0e8933c1be2bf11320a55.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Weenie 2

4 minutes ago, nj2va said:

@Chris78 you going to the game tonight right?  Hope Ovi gets to 700 while you’re there — hope the philly fans aren’t too trashy.  Have fun!

Thanks!

Just checked in to the hotel. Heading to Clydes for drinks and dinner. 

Hoping to see ovi's 700th in person. Would be awesome.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I really need to move. Might be able to make it happen in the next year. I am motivated.

My wife and I currently have New Hampshire as #1 on our list for when we get out of here in 8-10 years. There's something about the landscape and geography of the NE that hits us right. We'll no doubt have a couple sleds to rip through the backcountry during winter. If we could we would do it today. Just isn't possible yet...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

My wife and I currently have New Hampshire as #1 on our list for when we get out of here in 8-10 years. There's something about the landscape and geography of the NE that hits us right. We'll no doubt have a couple sleds to rip through the backcountry during winter. If we could we would do it today. Just isn't possible yet...

I spent some time up there last Summer. Went to Mt Washington. I love that area too, and I have a buddy who lives in Conway. Also like a lot of places in Vermont. I need to get to coastal Maine soon too. I have a feeling that area is going to really click with me. Not opposed to heading across the border (legally) and settling in New Brunswick or Nova Scotia either. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I spent some time up there last Summer. Went to Mt Washington. I love that area too, and I have a buddy who lives in Conway. Also like a lot of places in Vermont. I need to get to coastal Maine soon too. I have a feeling that area is going to really click with me. Not opposed to heading across the border (legally) and settling in New Brunswick or Nova Scotia either. 

It's hard to go wrong anywhere in NE or north. Very rugged and beautiful basically everywhere. NH has no state income tax and that's very important as we are trying retire early. MD is awful with both income and property taxes. No chance we're staying here unless they drop income tax. We all know the chance of that is 0%. If we both end up north we can hook up, ride sleds and weenie out. Lol

• Weenie 2

45 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I'm really happy for PSU getting the goods out west but if I'm being completely honest... it makes me a little mad too. 

36 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I really need to move. Might be able to make it happen in the next year. I am motivated.

29 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I know how you feel...it’s why I did this.  But I agree on NH. If I move someday that’s where we have in mind. 

In other news got some face shots on the last run. Found a stash in the Moran Face woods of the new Teton lift that was still untouched. 

67EC7310-C65A-4FF2-BFA8-A271F168B53D.thumb.jpeg.cdd4fdf3973e3d2d2a294e1075d00ac2.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Weenie 1

21 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I know how you feel...it’s why I did this.  But I agree on NH. If I move someday that’s where we have in mind. 

In other news got some face shots on the last run. Found a stash in the Moran Face woods of the new Teton lift that was still untouched. 

67EC7310-C65A-4FF2-BFA8-A271F168B53D.thumb.jpeg.cdd4fdf3973e3d2d2a294e1075d00ac2.jpeg

You're fortunate to be able to travel for snow...

20 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

OK everybody how does this year rank among the great dumpster fires of the last several decades?  Hating this more/less than 2001-2002, 2011 - 2012 etc?

Yea, assuming no decent event hits this will be the worst since I bought my house in 2002. The stretch from late Jan 2011 thru Mar 2013 is the worst stretch of time. 2011-12 was easy becuase we didn't get teased much. I knew that winter was toast before it started and it didn't disappoint. We'll get another taste of 11-12 once the AK death vortex sets up. Won't notice much different because we've been warm every way possible. The AK vortex killed all of 2011-12

Imo- this year could easily score worst winter ever. Lots of taunting and teasing with an endless string of fails so far and the future looks grim. There's been nothing exciting at all in the medium or short range, been warm AF, no frozen ground, no frozen skating ponds, and lots of fookin rain. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

One of MD's problems is their athlete graduation rate. Especially the stars. Every red hot recuit presents the same question... 1 year or 2? Lol. Smith is going to be a great pro. Soft touch with FTs and 3s and a serious presence inside. NBA teams drool over that stuff. 

jalen smith is legit, from what i've seen.  do i think he'll be a star in the nba?  that's up for debate.  i think he's going to be more successful in small ball lineups or alongside someone like gobert/davis/drummond/embiid.  he's not a premier, rock handling big man with a step back game, but i think he has a chance to get some real minutes at the next level, possibly as a starter in the right system.  i haven't watched a lot of terps games this year.  to me, they play a bit too conservative at times, turgeon style, but they've got an all around squad.  they have a chance to make a tourney run as long as they don't dig too much of a hole because they don't have the high powered offense that some of those gary teams had.

18 minutes ago, 87storms said:

just saw a mock draft that has jalen in the 20s.  i think he can find his way in as a late lottery pick, but it'll be system dependent.  i think his near term potential is on a team looking for a steady backup big.

I really hope he wants to graduate. Agreed with nba synopsis. Smith would need to bulk up more than a little to be a big man. However, the nba is ALL about offense now. Smith is shooting almost 40% in 3 point land and 75% at the line. Uncommon for a 6'10" forward. I could see him playing for the Warriors or Lakers or similar 

5 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

Made it into JH last night around 12:30. Drive from Idaho falls was longer because Teton pass was closed for avalanche control.  Done a few runs through Saratoga bowl. Chest deep. They’ve had about 40” so far the last 3 days and it’s absolutely dumping right now.  2”/hr easy. It’s supposed to end late tonight then be sunny the next few days. 

F3B72483-9E3F-4D72-AFE0-9CE320063629.thumb.jpeg.9a8fa5b8cac1de4429b16dd4450628e1.jpeg19852789-897A-4292-9B23-377490EF6027.thumb.jpeg.f115c42bdfb0e8933c1be2bf11320a55.jpeg

So happy for you.  I saw snow this morning too while walking the dog--- in the beds of over a dozen rail cars carrying coal from West Virginia

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I really hope he wants to graduate. Agreed with nba synopsis. Smith would need to bulk up more than a little to be a big man. However, the nba is ALL about offense now. Smith is shooting almost 40% in 3 point land and 75% at the line. Uncommon for a 6'10" forward. I could see him playing for the Warriors or Lakers or similar 

yep, and i bet the rockets are scouting him with a fine toothed comb lol.  they might be in a reasonable position to draft him.  the offense is a direct correlation to the touch fouls called.  it's opened up the game...too much imo.  

in other news, that unc/duke game was wild.

5 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

It's hard to go wrong anywhere in NE or north. Very rugged and beautiful basically everywhere. NH has no state income tax and that's very important as we are trying retire early. MD is awful with both income and property taxes. No chance we're staying here unless they drop income tax. We all know the chance of that is 0%. If we both end up north we can hook up, ride sleds and weenie out. Lol

MD’s problem is the county tax.  Without that, the taxes could be a wash with NH depending, of course, on income and house price.  NH’s property tax rates are out of control.  2%+ in many areas.

When people talk about moving for tax reasons, in most cases what they really are doing is moving for quality of life (weather) or bang for your buck (cheaper housing) reasons.  The taxes just don’t make that much of a financial difference in the vast majority of cases.

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic