Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February Banter 2020

George BM

1 hour ago, showmethesnow said:

Meant to say this yesterday and got side tracked with tracking all the snow we are getting. :lol:

Sounds like there might be quite a bit of rehab for your sister so I hope things go well. If there is a bright side, things could have been much worse so thank God they weren't.  Thoughts are with you both.

Thank you! Yes she’s got a long road ahead of her but it could have been so much worse so we are all thankful for that this morning. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Zanclidae said:

That's just it, most of our memorable (legit severe) events are not anticipated nor forecast! ;)

Lol. Zancildae, you KNOW that there is an ENH/MDT risk day in our future this year that will not be as exciting as this morning was for some ANYWHERE in the region. 

• Like 1

@Bob Chill Jackson Hole was definitely the right choice.  25" so far...looks like its absolutely dumping on cam right now...4-8" more expected today...with a lull tonight that I hope to use to get into town...then one last wave with 3-6" more expected tomorrow.  Most importantly the temperatures stay cold enough to preserve the powder....highs staying below freezing even at the base through Monday.  Aspen did OK like you said they would...about 8" so far with maybe another 3-6 BUT they will be in the mid to upper 40's over the weekend and so the lower half is likely to get pretty crusty...  Like you said the northern mountains in CO did much better but frankly I have skied the crap out of most of them and wasn't really interested in another trip there.  

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, George BM said:

Lol. Zancildae, you KNOW that there is an ENH/MDT risk day in our future this year that will not be as exciting as this morning was for some ANYWHERE in the region. 

Yes it happens all the time.  Of course summer severe events, even the so-called "widespread" ones, are quite hit or miss too.  But when you're right under one it can get quite nasty, even scary.  That is for those of us that do possess sanity. ;)

14 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

@Bob Chill Jackson Hole was definitely the right choice.  25" so far...looks like its absolutely dumping on cam right now...4-8" more expected today...with a lull tonight that I hope to use to get into town...then one last wave with 3-6" more expected tomorrow.  Most importantly the temperatures stay cold enough to preserve the powder....highs staying below freezing even at the base through Monday.  Aspen did OK like you said they would...about 8" so far with maybe another 3-6 BUT they will be in the mid to upper 40's over the weekend and so the lower half is likely to get pretty crusty...  Like you said the northern mountains in CO did much better but frankly I have skied the crap out of most of them and wasn't really interested in another trip there.  

Yea, Aspen isn't favored with NW flow. W or SW is money for the central rockies. Abasin added another 6" to the 14" at 5am so sitting at 20" and is expecting another foot. My buddy is sending me texts every couple hours... in a very antagonizing but funny way. lol. JH will be money though. HUGE base mid and upper mountain with massive new snow. Hope you brought a snorkel. 

2 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

That's great. One of the Alexandria DMVs is closed down for renovation, so the southern FfxCo branches have been overloaded. It's been horrible.

If you're referring to the location near the Eisenhower Metro station, it's back open.

9 minutes ago, Zanclidae said:

Yes it happens all the time.  Of course summer severe events, even the so-called "widespread" ones, are quite hit or miss too.  But when you're right under one it can get quite nasty, even scary.  That is for those of us that do possess sanity. ;)

Yeah. I'm not sure I completely trust myself to be "smart" if a tornado is bearing down on me. I'm guessing my "flight" would eventually overpower my "fight"... but probably not until 2x4s are raining down and shooting past me... that's if I'm still on the ground :lol:...

... Yeah I'm a psycho. 

25 minutes ago, George BM said:

Yeah. I'm not sure I completely trust myself to be "smart" if a tornado is bearing down on me. I'm guessing my "flight" would eventually overpower my "fight"... but probably not until 2x4s are raining down and shooting past me... that's if I'm still on the ground :lol:...

... Yeah I'm a psycho. 

Lighting is my calling.  I've been zapped by side flashes from really close hits and still watch on the porch!  The most recent one was in 2017 (August 17) when a bolt hit a farm gate and followed the fence over to a light pole.  That pole was about 20' from where I was standing on our porch which is slate.  I was in stocking feet and felt a nice shock through both my feet that made my legs numb. 

Wind is easier BUT it sucks you in (pun not really intended!) like watching a car wreck in slow motion.  By the time you see debris flying about (and that truly is your cue to haul ass!), it often is too late to seek shelter unless you're right next to the stairs.  I'm talking about a real game changer aka EF3+ making a bee line straight for you!

Clarence Schulz comes to mind and anyone not familiar with the story can watch the video here.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Zanclidae said:

Lighting is my calling.  I've been zapped by side flashes from really close hits and still watch on the porch!  The most recent one was in 2017 (August 17) when a bolt hit a farm gate and followed the fence over to a light pole.  That pole was about 20' from where I was standing on our porch which is slate.  I was in stocking feet and felt a nice shock through both my feet that made my legs numb. 

Wind is easier BUT it sucks you in (pun not really intended!) like watching a car wreck in slow motion.  By the time you see debris flying about (and that truly is your cue to haul ass!), it often is too late to seek shelter unless you're right next to the stairs.  I'm talking about a real game changer aka EF3+ making a bee line straight for you!

Clarence Schulz comes to mind and anyone not familiar with the story can watch the video here.

That’s the craziest thing I’ve ever seen

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Models say I live another day without a heart attack worrying about missing something.  If I had to go to SC and miss a HECS, I'd drive into the ocean. 

I fly to Anaheim on March 2nd....knowing March is our only winter month anymore I'm nervous

9 hours ago, mappy said:

Thank you! Yes she’s got a long road ahead of her but it could have been so much worse so we are all thankful for that this morning. 

Take care of yourself, Mappy...and your sister, however you can!  I know it's not offering much, but from a distance know that people in here (myself included) are thinking of you and your sister, and hoping for the best.  Give your little (or not so little, now!) girl a hug, and remember all that's good in life! :hug:

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic