Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February Banter 2020

George BM

3 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

How can it be 10 years already. The years are flying by. 

If we could just experience that 12 day period one more time. 

This year sucks about as bad as can be but look how fortunate we've been over the last 10 years.

Yeah the past 10 years have been pretty good overall, though this year is a big ugly exception. Hopefully we get a real -NAO in the winter some time soon, because this current pattern is as hideous as it gets — the complete opposite of 10 years ago.

But yeah those 12 days alone had almost as much snow as the entirety of winter 2002-03, which would've been unthinkable in the 00s to anyone except the craziest weenies.

52 minutes ago, 87storms said:

schaeffer was actually closed monday due to wet/muddy conditions (which was annoying), so i went to black hill west and truth be told, it was fairly dry lol.  sounds like i might have just lucked out.

Schaeffer is uber conservative with mud and closing. Which is smart because it's mountain bike heaven and very popular. One day with saturated soil and trails get rekt. 

Black hills has nice hills and rocky soil. I actually forgot about those trail. Now I want to get out there and ride. I like parking at the ten mile creek trailhead. Left hand trail is a lot of fun. Very well cut trail and some good ups and downs. 

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

Schaeffer is uber conservative with mud and closing. Which is smart because it's mountain bike heaven and very popular. One day with saturated soil and trails get rekt. 

Black hills has nice hills and rocky soil. I actually forgot about those trail. Now I want to get out there and ride. I like parking at the ten mile creek trailhead. Left hand trail is a lot of fun. Very well cut trail and some good ups and downs. 

Yea I only recently found out about it. This is only the 2nd time I’ve been. It’s flowy and I do remember some sections with small rocks. Different layout than Schaeffer. I parked by the lake (south) and rode all the up to clarksburg (about 6.3 miles) then back down the road bc I was cooked lol.

Well we had a 20 percent chance for rain and sleet tonight in Buda TX.

The forecast was wrong.

It snowed, HARD and fast. The temp dropped to 34 and the north wind blew those dendrites past the streetlights and I was out on a very happy jebwalk! I was blasting old school ELO songs in the midst of very large very wet snowflakes, savoring a trip down memory lane! It looked so much like Northern Virginia! But I was standing in South Austin, rubbing my eyes, pinching myself, kept on thinking I MUST be dreaming! It was 80 degrees yesterday with a 65 dewpoint! Now, it was snowing hard and even sticking to elevated surfaces! We ended up with about a quarter inch of snow on the grass and on many elevated surfaces like car tops, bushes, trash can lids. Crazy Texas weather can be amazing! I think Midland TX well to my west got 7 inches!

This was a very happy trip down memory lane but it will probably be my last for a couple more years! Local snow climo is about three quarters of an inch in a winter. So tonights quarter inch snowfall equates to a major winter storm of 4-6 inches in N VA. I enjoyed it. There's snow out there right now on the wood patio! Might have to sneak out there at 3am local time and roll in it like old times in Dale City after a 2 foot HECS! LOL!

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Jebman said:

Well we had a 20 percent chance for rain and sleet tonight in Buda TX.

The forecast was wrong.

It snowed, HARD and fast. The temp dropped to 34 and the north wind blew those dendrites past the streetlights and I was out on a very happy jebwalk! I was blasting old school ELO songs in the midst of very large very wet snowflakes, savoring a trip down memory lane! It looked so much like Northern Virginia! But I was standing in South Austin, rubbing my eyes, pinching myself, kept on thinking I MUST be dreaming! It was 80 degrees yesterday with a 65 dewpoint! Now, it was snowing hard and even sticking to elevated surfaces! We ended up with about a quarter inch of snow on the grass and on many elevated surfaces like car tops, bushes, trash can lids. Crazy Texas weather can be amazing! I think Midland TX well to my west got 7 inches!

This was a very happy trip down memory lane but it will probably be my last for a couple more years! Local snow climo is about three quarters of an inch in a winter. So tonights quarter inch snowfall equates to a major winter storm of 4-6 inches in N VA. I enjoyed it. There's snow out there right now on the wood patio! Might have to sneak out there at 3am local time and roll in it like old times in Dale City after a 2 foot HECS! LOL!

Nicely done jeb.  Enjoy your south Texas snow as I walk out the door this morning into a beautiful 38 and rain.  

1 minute ago, C.A.P.E. said:

No I am not aware of anything. My drive to work puts me on 404 for about a mile at around 630 am. Something serious?

probably would have been earlier than that, but yeah... my sister. ill be heading to shock trauma here soon as she needs surgery. :( 

• Sad 10

4 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

I am so sorry Katie - will hold a thought for her and you and your family.

2 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Oh damn. Sorry to hear that. Hope everything goes well Mappy.

thanks guys -- i'm not one who believes in god, but any good vibes would be great. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic