Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Banter 2020

George BM

9 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

The geography is so fascinating. I loved crossing the Continental Divide. 

Interesting topography plot.  Looks like they used a FDM machine (Fluid Deposition Machine used for rapid prototyping).  Would be interesting to compare the COand/or CA relief plot to the Swiss Alps.  When you go down in the valleys in CO you're still at 5000+ ft in altitude.  In the alps, the altitude at the bottom of the valleys is measured in hundreds of feet - the elevation difference is much more stark.  Likewise, the amount of vertical is more compared to CO and CA's major resorts.  Max vertical in N. America is either Jackson Hole or Whistler Blackcomb, BC at around 4000' (both vie for the most vertical).  In Zermatt, Switzerland you can ski 8500' of vertical in one continuous run.  Not sure if that's the max vertical in the Alps - Chamonix, France may have more.   

1 hour ago, wxdude64 said:

I'll second Bob's picks. I go there 30-40 days a year now. It is an awesome (but sadly crowded) place. DEFINITELY do the snowmobiling, I highly recommend!! Stay in Dillion or Silverthorne, places are cheaper than Breck. You can get around in a car, but traffic in ski season isn't fun. They have free buses that run 6am-11pm county wide. Most run on a 15 or 30 minute schedule if you don't wish to drive. The pass over 6 is as he describes, beautiful. Copper can be a pain to get to, they are right off 70 and I have seen both off lanes backed up onto 70 with people trying to get in during the AM. Keystone and Breck  have a nice mix of runs, if you are a good skier Abasin can provide some fun and challenging runs. 

Bad traffic doesn't surprise me. When I first moved in 92 there was rarely any legit traffic but all the big resorts were under big expansion/development. Adding 1000s of beds during my time and traffic got really annoying but only during xmas, presidents weekend, and off and on through march by 99. There are only 2 major roads other than I70. I can imagine multi mile backups now... One of the tradeoffs of being the closest majors to Denver. 

I've regretted not buying a condo 100s of times when I was there. A total delinquent pothead buddy of mine randomly bought a condo for 80k in 93 and rented rooms to cover the mtg. Sold in 2001 for 249k. Lol. If that guy can do it I should have done it x5. Haha

On 1/29/2020 at 6:24 PM, HighStakes said:

Nice. Just in time for the 5 year anniversary of the famed arctic front and snow squall.

9 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

The geography is so fascinating. I loved crossing the Continental Divide. 

So you’re telling me that the Sierras are higher than the Appalachians?!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

Bad traffic doesn't surprise me. When I first moved in 92 there was rarely any legit traffic but all the big resorts were under big expansion/development. Adding 1000s of beds during my time and traffic got really annoying but only during xmas, presidents weekend, and off and on through march by 99. There are only 2 major roads other than I70. I can imagine multi mile backups now... One of the tradeoffs of being the closest majors to Denver. 

I've regretted not buying a condo 100s of times when I was there. A total delinquent pothead buddy of mine randomly bought a condo for 80k in 93 and rented rooms to cover the mtg. Sold in 2001 for 249k. Lol. If that guy can do it I should have done it x5. Haha

The traffic is getting out of control along 70. I almost missed an 8:45 pm flight out of Denver when I left Vail at 3pm because it took over 4 hours to get to Denver.  Took an hour to get to Breck from Frisco a few years ago over spring break. I shy away from that area anymore, rather drive a bit up front to avoid that crap during my vacation time.

I used to ski Vail a lot.  Blue Sky at Vail is awesome but it’s so hard to get to it. Takes forever to get through the crowds as the base then 3-4 lifts to get back there. It keeps getting worse everytime. Don’t even bother with Copper on a busy weekend. Waited an hour to get on the 6pack lift.  Steamboat or further away and has great tree skiing but it can take forever to get out of the base because there aren’t enough ways up the mountain.  That’s why I’m leaving Aspen this year. Aspen Snowmass never seem to get too crowded. I guess the extra 2 hour drive keeps people away. They get less snow but that only matters early season. Once there is a 5’+ base you don’t really notice the difference between an 8” and 12” storm in terms of skiing.   Still considering SLC but it’s harder to get a last minute flight at a reasonable rate. I’ve noticed I can still find a Friday night $300 flight into Denver even until Wed but by then it’s like 700+ to get into SLC. I could book further in advance but then I risk so many things going wrong.  Weather turns and I spend all that money to ski crud, or either myself or someone else in the family gets sick. Don’t want to leave my wife alone to deal with a sick kid or if she is sick. I’d rather wait until the last minute to reduce the risk of all that. 

1 hour ago, Lowershoresadness said:

went on a date last night. usual small talk. weather came up and she mentioned the lack of snow. I proceed to gather up like ten salt and pepper shakers to use as high and low pressure markers and maneuver them around the table and explain why the lack of snow. I will not be getting a second date

Iv'e been there. When we first got married my wife would hear mention of snow in the forecast and then ask me if it will snow or not and how much. Of course that meant me explaining the different scenarios and the whys behind those scenarios. Of course her eyes quickly glazed over only to snap back to attention at the end to ask me once again whether we were getting snow and how much. So now I just say yes or no and how much. Unless I am feeling peevish then I go into the old routine with the added bonus of drawing up diagrams for her. :devilsmiley:

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Iv'e been there. When we first got married my wife would hear mention of snow in the forecast and then ask me if it will snow or not and how much. Of course that meant me explaining the different scenarios and the whys behind those scenarios. Of course her eyes quickly glazed over only to snap back to attention at the end to ask me once again whether we were getting snow and how much. So now I just say yes or no and how much. Unless I am feeling peevish then I go into the old routine with the added bonus of drawing up diagrams for her. :devilsmiley:

Sounds like my wife.  After 23 years we long passed the point of me trying to explain anything about the variables.  Now I just tell her what coat to wear when she goes out.  Straight to the basics.  Yet, she continues to tolerate my unceasing hope for something that resembles winter, no matter how dire the outlook.  

5 minutes ago, RDM said:

Sounds like my wife.  After 23 years we long passed the point of me trying to explain anything about the variables.  Now I just tell her what coat to wear when she goes out.  Straight to the basics.  Yet, she continues to tolerate my unceasing hope for something that resembles winter, no matter how dire the outlook.  

My wife asked me the other day why I haven't been discussing snow this winter and talking up the possibilities of storms like I normally do. And I just cried. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, DCTeacherman said:

Our long range thread has just become that one guy who posts snowmaps that show no snow over and over.

I'm honestly interested in the AO watch, following the once-in-a-lifetime chance to see it go to +23.  I am rooting for the heights in the PV to get so low that the air condenses into liquid. 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic