• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 5-7 Wintry Mess Potential

weatherwiz

Some of the hardest snowblowing I’ve done in a long time. Ended up with 9” or so from both parts. The thick crust in the middle was a bitch. The snowblower would ride on the crust and then break through so I’d have to back up and go through again. Pretty out and wintry looking. 10F

47 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Some of the hardest snowblowing I’ve done in a long time. Ended up with 9” or so from both parts. The thick crust in the middle was a bitch. The snowblower would ride on the crust and then break through so I’d have to back up and go through again. Pretty out and wintry looking. 10F

Same here, with some of the same issues.  Blower would hit crust and wheels would dig a hole, requiring a backup, and as there had been a lot of ice on the driveway pre-storm, occasionally my feet would slide sideways adding to the fun.    Usually takes about an hour or so to clear a 10-12" storm with equivalent LE but this 5" one took just under 2, most time needed since needing 3 hours to clear the Jan 27-28, 2015 blizz, which had 2.17" LE compared to 1.09" from this one.  That storm was 9:1 sand and had 12 hours of settling before we got back from SNJ but it also had no crust.

Lol at the redo over the driveway. Kept breaking through as well. Told my wife I wouldn't be long....

3 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:
5 hours ago, mreaves said:

Lol at the redo over the driveway. Kept breaking through as well. Told my wife I wouldn't be long....

Same. Two passes just about covered it except where I had to drive over it to and from work. Better than a sheet of ice though.

We got several hours of freezing rain after about 5 cm (2 inches est) snowfall before it turned to rain and got upto 48 (+9) degrees but it did not melt all the ice and the snow as it was a quick warm-up followed by a quick cold shot.  Currently sea effect snow, with a few cm or a 1-2 inches on the ground.

On 2/7/2020 at 1:03 PM, klw said:

Just starting to get a few fat flakes now.

There is a good 1/4 inch ice on everything.  It really is just a matter of time until the power goes out.

Sure enough we ended up losing power a little after 3pm .  We were out for about 23 hours.  

We ended up getting 3.5 inches more after the changeover to give up 7.5 inches plus the ice.  Branches down up and down our road.  I will have to go into our woods to see what that looks like but may wait until the ice melts off the trees first.

Got a few pictures but the camera battery died

From yesterday before the change:

IMG_2123 alt.jpg

• Like 1

Final totals appear to be :

BTV area 14-18 inches 

CYUL Montreal 36 cm / 14 inches 

Montréal island in general ranged 14-18 inches also 

CYOW Ottawa 26 cm / 10 inches  

highest total I’ve seen from NWS btv and environment Canada is Malone NY 22 inches.   That fits well with where the expected jackpot was going to be ...

MBY I’ll say approx  17 and call it a day.  There is a LOT of dense snow out there (giant piles and extended clean up in process ) .....agree with many that it’s one of the most picturesque snows in quite some time  caked to everything  (scenes right out of those sappy Holiday movies). 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Organizing Low said:

Remarkable story really speaks to the power of the intense banded snow that moved through , btv airport closed for the first time In nearly 20 years. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mychamplainvalley.com/news/local-news/weather-closes-burlington-airport-for-first-time-in-nearly-20-years/amp/

They didn’t close for that big blocked flow event a decade ago?

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

They didn’t close for that big blocked flow event a decade ago?

It was most certainly due to the evolution of the storm.  I’d call it one of the worst road surfaces you’ll see here... washboard ice.  Like a mud season rumblestrip but made out of ice and melt/compression holes.  

The first event probably made it wintry, but then there was prolonged light freezing rain at 23-25F in BTV that got real icy.  It was icy around here with ZR at at higher 28-31F temps here.  But low/mid 20s liquid gets icy on plowed stuff in a hurry.  

Top it off with a decent period of 1-2”/hr that drops a quick 8-10” at the airport... I bet that’s a tough combo to battle, prolonged light icing the heavy thump.

8 hours ago, powderfreak said:

It was most certainly due to the evolution of the storm.  I’d call it one of the worst road surfaces you’ll see here... washboard ice.  Like a mud season rumblestrip but made out of ice and melt/compression holes.  

The first event probably made it wintry, but then there was prolonged light freezing rain at 23-25F in BTV that got real icy.  It was icy around here with ZR at at higher 28-31F temps here.  But low/mid 20s liquid gets icy on plowed stuff in a hurry.  

Top it off with a decent period of 1-2”/hr that drops a quick 8-10” at the airport... I bet that’s a tough combo to battle, prolonged light icing the heavy thump.

Excellent analysis PF thanks

i wasn’t Living here for the blocked flow event, but I do remember watching it unfold in Ottawa on the old forum. 

9 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Wet snow followed by wicked cold can make a real mess.  In Jan 1994 in the BGR-area +SN changed to RA then back again as temps dove to subzero.  I-95 south of the city had immovable ice clumps 2-4" thick such that going much over 15 mph was hazardous to one's suspension.  Even the big graders couldn't scrape off much.