Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 5-7 Wintry Mess Potential

weatherwiz

6 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

We just got the call that UVM is closing as of 1:30 P.M. (a declared "state of campus emergency" due to blowing and drifting snow creating impassable roads and walkways and inaccessible parking lots), so it wasn’t a pre-planned full snow day, but even a half day closing here means that this is a pretty impressive event.

Sending people out into the teeth of a storm always a great idea

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Well remember, for the vast majority of people there, it simply means a 5 to 10-minute walk back to their dorm or apartment in town.  Or, it just means not leaving their dorm or apartment at all for their afternoon class that’s been cancelled.  For the small percentage of folks that live out of town it’s a huge hassle, but canceling classes (especially for the medical students who essentially have class all day, every day) is a big logistical issue.  I definitely didn’t want to drive back and forth to the mountains in this though unless absolutely necessary, so my teaching assistants and I worked extra yesterday so we could cancel our midday meeting today.  That was probably the best approach, but not everyone’s Friday schedule would have permitted that option.

7 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Well remember, for the vast majority of people there, it simply means a 5 to 10-minute walk back to their dorm or apartment in town.  Or, it just means not leaving their dorm or apartment at all for their afternoon class that’s been cancelled.  For the small percentage of folks that live out of town it’s a huge hassle, but canceling classes (especially for the medical students who essentially have class all day, every day) is a big logistical issue.  I definitely didn’t want to drive back and forth to the mountains in this though unless absolutely necessary, so my teaching assistants and I worked extra yesterday so we could cancel our midday meeting today.  That was probably the best approach, but not everyone’s Friday schedule would have permitted that option.

That’s a well thought out approach

Is it me, or does the low seem to be a little ahead of schedule position wise? Looks a little faster, no?

39 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Different world in the St. John Valley - different time too.  On 3/14/84 Fort Kent sent the kids home at noon with 12-14 new and 3"/hr and everyone made it home safely, even those from Winterville, nearly 30 hilly miles down Route 11.  Storm dumped 24-30 total.

All IP here since precip amped up just before 9 AM, currently heaviest it's been, with a bit of wind to rattle chunks off the windows.   Well over 1" of ball bearings making for interesting walking.   4-5" or more SN "wasted", but far far preferable to ZR. 

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

So looking at the Snow Cam... 9am nothing... 1:30pm there's about an 8" stack.  

8" in 4.5 hours and it really didn't get going until 11am to be honest.

We are checking the High Road stake manually in a bit to see if it confirms.

9am.thumb.jpg.71bb7152551aa5bdb3e266494bd58579.jpg

130pm.thumb.jpg.f9170808234255bfc9c10d418f95d9b2.jpg

That’s so awesome and I believe it. I’m down in Burlington and it started in earnest around 9:30/10am. I checked at 12:30pm when I went for a walk and the spot I cleared in a minimally wind prone area had 4.4 inches. No doubt the mountain is cleaning up at a 30-40% higher rate.