February 5-7 Wintry Mess Potential

weatherwiz

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

We can’t even do cold Rainers anymore. BOX talking humid

Round 2 (Thursday night into Friday): Soaking rain with potential
  downpours and localized flooding. There may even be a rumble of
  thunder. After a mild & muggy start, falling temperatures through
  the day. M

I would enjoy a 96 style cutter. It’s been boring AF.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

At least 11/12 there wasn’t much to track. Just closed the shades easily without a second peek. This winter has been a constant opening and closing of the shades on practically a daily basis peeking frantically...to no avail.

So true!

9 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I’d just like to understand why this isn’t shearing like you guys thought yesterday  it would. Something is going on this winter that models and people just aren’t seeing 

I really think there’s a correlation to seasonal snowfall and people’s opinion of how the models are doing.  The models weren’t great in 2015 with a lot of late changes (favorable to E.NE) and grossly under-estimated a couple of those storms... but no one was complaining about them then.  

The problem right now is folks are grasping onto low probability day 5 progs and it just builds into the frustration.  The models are the same tools we’ve been using for years. 

We’ve all shoveled an enormous amount of Day 5 snowfall over the past 5 years.  There were like 2-3 years there where I’d be in the jackpot at day 5 only to see another 12+ hit in SNE at game time.  I thought the models were terrible then, ha.  When mythical snow that hasn’t fallen gets taken away, we blame the models.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I really think there’s a correlation to seasonal snowfall and people’s opinion of how the models are doing.  The models weren’t great in 2015 with a lot of late changes (favorable to E.NE) and grossly under-estimated a couple of those storms... but no one was complaining about them then.  

The problem right now is folks are grasping onto low probability day 5 progs and it just builds into the frustration.  The models are the same tools we’ve been using for years. 

We’ve all shoveled an enormous amount of Day 5 snowfall over the past 5 years.  There were like 2-3 years there where I’d be in the jackpot at day 5 only to see another 12+ hit in SNE at game time.  I thought the models were terrible then, ha.  When mythical snow that hasn’t fallen gets taken away, we blame the models.

I get what you’re saying but, to me, it’s more so about good patterns on typically strong mid to long range models vaporizing before us which has increased/added the anxiety on each short to mid range event trending more unfavorably.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Kevin I think we all mentioned that the setup was tenuous. I even said yesterday that I wasn’t sure if it would be progressive given the overall H5 look. It still could be more progressive, I don’t know......but right now I’m not sure I would favor it. 

This year you have to favor warmest and not snowy outcomes. What can go wrong does and outperforms itself. My point is there’s something globally/ atmosphericically this winter that all of us and modeling has missed or is missing. 

40 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

This year you have to favor warmest and not snowy outcomes. What can go wrong does and outperforms itself. My point is there’s something globally/ atmosphericically this winter that all of us and modeling has missed or is missing. 

What have they/we missed though?  Like missed as in we shouldn't even be entertaining thoughts of wintry weather and the models should never even show those day 5 solutions?

It's a winter with a mean western trough and good southeast ridging.  Occasionally we get a some confluence to the north that helps New England but by and far it's not a good overall pattern for deep winter in the east.

12 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

What have they/we missed though?  Like missed as in we shouldn't even be entertaining thoughts of wintry weather and the models should never even show those day 5 solutions?

It's a winter with a mean western trough and good southeast ridging.  Occasionally we get a some confluence to the north that helps New England but by and far it's not a good overall pattern for deep winter in the east.

Yeah. It’s already a tricky setup when you have a western trough. Sometimes it’s oriented such that you cash in with SWFE, and sometimes it’s more of a deep trough that ejects enough s/w energy for cutters. 

37 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Ever the optimist.  Or a couple ticks the other way and we’re saying congrats PF and Dryslot.

I didn’t say I believed that’s what would happen. Just that it gets a lot more interesting if it does. 

If it trends the other way and goes warmer, it merely goes from meh to total snoozer.