Oswego-Jefferson-Lewis-
Including the cities of Oswego, Watertown, and Lowville
1258 PM EST Wed Feb 26 2020

...BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 7 AM THURSDAY TO 4 PM EST
FRIDAY...

* WHAT...Blizzard conditions expected. Total snow accumulations of
  3 to 4 feet across the Tug Hill Plateau, and 1 to 2 feet for
  surrounding lower elevations. Winds gusting as high as 50 to 60
  mph will result in severe blowing and drifting snow.

* WHERE...The Eastern Lake Ontario Region.

* WHEN...From 7 AM Thursday to 4 PM EST Friday.

* IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult to impossible. Areas of
  blowing snow will produce near zero visibility. The hazardous
  conditions will impact the morning and evening commutes Thursday
  and Friday. Strong winds could cause some tree damage and
  scattered power outages.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Strong winds will cause significant blowing and drifting snow,
frequently reducing visibilities to zero. Travel is strongly
discouraged. 

Im willing to bet someone in northeast Oswego county and southeastern Jefferson county receive 50 plus inches!

25 minutes ago, daxx said:

Blizzard Warning

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Buffalo NY

NYZ006>008-270200-
/O.UPG.KBUF.LE.W.0004.200227T1200Z-200229T2300Z/
/O.NEW.KBUF.BZ.W.0001.200227T1200Z-200228T2100Z/
Oswego-Jefferson-Lewis-

FRIDAY...

scattered power outages.

discouraged. 

Im willing to bet someone in northeast Oswego county and southeastern Jefferson county receive 50 plus inches!

couldn't write a better love story

• Like 2

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

Personally I thought the days when @daxx posted sweet notes from the Euro around this time were a bit more romantic.

Trust me Bubbler I would love to do that, but this Winter is just a giant turd around here.  I am so glad I traveled to the Tug a couple weeks ago to get a taste of true Winter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daxx said:

Blizzard Warning

NYZ006>008-270200-
Oswego-Jefferson-Lewis-

FRIDAY...

scattered power outages.

discouraged. 

Reading that thread today and it sure seems like there's a lot of panic going on. 

Just now, Itstrainingtime said:

I hope that comes to fruition...I'd like to turn off the A/C for a day or two before it runs nonstop until next December. 

I'm sure I'll be able to turn it off for a few days starting tomorrow night as well...

Screw that. Too f'n cold for March...

1 hour ago, daxx said:

Blizzard Warning

NYZ006>008-270200-
Oswego-Jefferson-Lewis-

FRIDAY...

scattered power outages.

discouraged. 

Dax

We need to make a group trip up to New York for some of that kind of fun.

Thats some crazy snow totals.

• Like 1

Just now, pawatch said:

Dax

We need to make a group trip up to New York for some of that kind of fun.

Thats some crazy snow totals.

For sure! I stay in a real nice cabin up there. It sleeps 10 people. I have stayed at several places but I finally found the sweet spot. I have also seen snow depths over 7 feet up there.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, daxx said:

You have to remember most of those guys don't live on the Tug.  Could you imagine getting 6 inches and only 10 miles away getting 4 feet! Lol

Yes, I understand that and I wasn't clear. Most are panicking because they were counting on synoptic snow and that seems to be trending further west.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Pushing zero is too cold, 15-20 I'm ok with. Not that it matters, though. As Trixie would say, "weather's gonna weather"...lol

This year lots of cold snaps have fallen by the way side as time has drawn close but temps of 0-10 the second week of March will do some damage to the average Spring plants that will be in full bloom by that point due to several days in the 60's prior. 

3 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

Oh look. Another wind advisory.

Somewhere in the US there are wind enthusiasts who talk about the LSV like we talk about the Tug Hill Plateau for snow.    "I had winds of 10-20 today but that's nothing compared to my cabin in Enola which gusts to 50 several times a winter!".

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Reading that thread today and it sure seems like there's a lot of panic going on. 

I was impressed that the blizzard warning in western NY (both off Erie and Ontario) has like a 42 hour duration. Not sure where exactly everyone resides up there but some seemed mad BUF issued blizzard warnings. I'll take them if they don't want them lol. 

For the record I do think the blizzard warnings are warranted given the way this low strengthens and tracks.. and then sits over southern Quebec for a time. Realized the storm had a bit of a March 3-4, 1999 look. That storm had a similar track with blizzard conditions in western NY and PA. Personally I saw a rainstorm turn to snow late evening and got woke up in the middle of the night to 40-50+ mph winds and thundersnow. The wind was strong enough to take trees down and knock power out. We only had 4-5 inches but there was a straight 6-8 hour period that was a whiteout. Some Laurel's spots up into western NY got way more snow. One of the only times I've seen legitimate blizzard conditions. 

030318.png.thumb.gif.2ec089f82c50c6ec013024ff8567ec0b.gif030400.png.thumb.gif.e59c224d032fe1aba9f406040e7bb45a.gif030412.png.thumb.gif.bacdee53bebbe20f4beba4244e188621.gif

But I digress, our current storm isn't going to be digging down as much as that one did as you can see on the archive maps.  So while I think parts of the Laurel's region into northern and NW PA could see several inches of snow and definitely plenty of wind, the low doesn't get wound up until its moving up through eastern PA into NY state (a theme this year whenever we have had an eastern US low develop). The LES potential looks pretty prolific, with the low closing off over southern Quebec and sitting for a while setting up a westerly flow. Probably better LES potential than the comparison storm I put up in some cases, although I probably wouldn't convince the Rochester folks of that since this one is going to have synoptic tracking further west and then the LES setting up on a more westerly flow. There's going to be monster totals especially off of Ontario where the whole unfrozen length will be utilized with that westerly flow. The favored LES areas in western NY probably will have some big totals too. The lakes are completely open for business, and the airmass this storm is ushering in is a pretty cold one. 

36 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Somewhere in the US there are wind enthusiasts who talk about the LSV like we talk about the Tug Hill Plateau for snow.    "I had winds of 10-20 today but that's nothing compared to my cabin in Enola which gusts to 50 several times a winter!".

There's probably garden enthusiasts in Florida that are envious of the full spring fling you already have going on at your place haha.

9 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

There's probably garden enthusiasts in Florida that are envious of the full spring fling you already have going on at your place haha.

They have actually had a very cold winter there so funny you say that.  Lots of days in the 40's. (Central Florida North of Orlando).    If they are jealous of anything though it is the mountain views.  LOL.  

40 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

I was impressed that the blizzard warning in western NY (both off Erie and Ontario) has like a 42 hour duration. Not sure where exactly everyone resides up there but some seemed mad BUF issued blizzard warnings. I'll take them if they don't want them lol. 

For the record I do think the blizzard warnings are warranted given the way this low strengthens and tracks.. and then sits over southern Quebec for a time. Realized the storm had a bit of a March 3-4, 1999 look. That storm had a similar track with blizzard conditions in western NY and PA. Personally I saw a rainstorm turn to snow late evening and got woke up in the middle of the night to 40-50+ mph winds and thundersnow. The wind was strong enough to take trees down and knock power out. We only had 4-5 inches but there was a straight 6-8 hour period that was a whiteout. Some Laurel's spots up into western NY got way more snow. One of the only times I've seen legitimate blizzard conditions. 

030318.png.thumb.gif.2ec089f82c50c6ec013024ff8567ec0b.gif030400.png.thumb.gif.e59c224d032fe1aba9f406040e7bb45a.gif030412.png.thumb.gif.bacdee53bebbe20f4beba4244e188621.gif

But I digress, our current storm isn't going to be digging down as much as that one did as you can see on the archive maps.  So while I think parts of the Laurel's region into northern and NW PA could see several inches of snow and definitely plenty of wind, the low doesn't get wound up until its moving up through eastern PA into NY state (a theme this year whenever we have had an eastern US low develop). The LES potential looks pretty prolific, with the low closing off over southern Quebec and sitting for a while setting up a westerly flow. Probably better LES potential than the comparison storm I put up in some cases, although I probably wouldn't convince the Rochester folks of that since this one is going to have synoptic tracking further west and then the LES setting up on a more westerly flow. There's going to be monster totals especially off of Ontario where the whole unfrozen length will be utilized with that westerly flow. The favored LES areas in western NY probably will have some big totals too. The lakes are completely open for business, and the airmass this storm is ushering in is a pretty cold one. 

Impressive  the pressure is suppose to drop 26 MB in 24 hours with this up in NY.

16 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I think Horst has reached stage 1 on the throw-in-the-towel meter. He acknowledged today that while we might see a nuisance snow add onto our nuisance seasonal total...the chances of something significant are going...going...

I think someone east of the mountains might have a car topper accum by tomorrow AM.    NWS has it in their zones and even the GFS shows it now. Cold air chasing moisture though....