• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - February 2020

33 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Those charts they keep putting out are true met season only so they end next Saturday.  Not sure it matters and we can count anything we want.  A lot of stuff online is actually yearly totals of Jan 1 through Dec 31.  Will be interesting to see if they make a final standing post next Sunday. 

They tally snow for any given season up til June 30/31, and then from July 1 onward will count toward the next winter (20-21 in the present case). Obviously it's extremely unlikely to snow from late spring to early fall (although some PA sites have had measurable snow recorded in every month) but that's how the season snowfall charts that CTP has on their site for IPT, UNV, MDT, etc are. Otherwise your tallying snowfall from two different winters going Jan 1-Dec 31, which isn't particularly useful info when winters can vary wildly year to year.

But yea, right now they're talking the meteorological winter months with snowfall records (DJF). There's 4 seasons so it's just divided evenly for each season (3 months per season). There's meteorological winter and there's also astronomical winter, which ranges from the winter solstice to the spring equinox (Dec 21-22 to March 21-22). At any rate, by the time we get to the beginning of April or whenever the pattern busts out into full fledged spring.. CTP will likely address whatever the totals are vs the records for the whole snow season. 

5 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Yep, I meant to say that and forgot. Thanks for participating. I find it interesting that you went 100% on measurable...that would normally seem safe and you'll forget more than I ever know, but looking at all the indices going forward it just looks awful.

Well I'll probably have the measurable covered by Thur/Fri when I get the usual BS coating to half an inch of LES/upslope behind that system whether it cuts or not. You only need 0.1" to qualify as "measurable" lol. My 30% chance of more than 3" can either illustrate a low likelihood given the pattern to see an event that delivers 3"+ and/or not enough cutters and backlash snow showers to get to 3 inches the rest of the winter. 

CXY again is showing 12% RH with a 59 / 6 combo.  I'm 3 degrees warmer than yesterday's high of 54, currently 57.2 with 18% RH and dew point of 16.  Almost no wind today makes today the clear winner in the comfort department over yesterday.  It's just great to have had a string of sunny days (#4) after so so many cloudy, dreary days this winter.

Edit>>One other thing I forgot to mention was my low this morning got down to 17 around 7 AM and by 10AM it was 30 degrees warmer at 47 !

1 hour ago, CarlislePaWx said:

CXY again is showing 12% RH with a 59 / 6 combo.  I'm 3 degrees warmer than yesterday's high of 54, currently 57.2 with 18% RH and dew point of 16.  Almost no wind today makes today the clear winner in the comfort department over yesterday.  It's just great to have had a string of sunny days (#4) after so so many cloudy, dreary days this winter.

Edit>>One other thing I forgot to mention was my low this morning got down to 17 around 7 AM and by 10AM it was 30 degrees warmer at 47 !

It really ramped up quickly today. 

4 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

My yearly ballpark tour this year is to Citi Field in Flushing. Mets vs Dodgers on May 30. Will be buying tickets sometime in the next week or so. 

I'm hoping to get to Cleveland and Cincinnati later in the summer. Last time I saw a game in Cleveland was at the old Cleveland Stadium...the mistake by the lake. I was there on a Saturday afternoon in '91. Announced crowd was 6,055 - the ballpark had 80,000 seats. Not a lot of atmosphere that day...

2 minutes ago, canderson said:

Should we talk again about a meetup at a Senators game?

I wouldn't mind that. Or we could find out whenever the Astros are in Baltimore and heckle them. They've played one day of Spring ball and have already had to begin confiscating signs, which is going to be the best part of baseball this season, aside from the total gauntlet that the National League East is going to be. 

28 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I'm hoping to get to Cleveland and Cincinnati later in the summer. Last time I saw a game in Cleveland was at the old Cleveland Stadium...the mistake by the lake. I was there on a Saturday afternoon in '91. Announced crowd was 6,055 - the ballpark had 80,000 seats. Not a lot of atmosphere that day...

The Jake is fun, enjoy!

In summer 2001 my dad and I went to every MLB stadium, I need to do that again. (I’ve been to all the new stadiums except Citi and Target).

36 minutes ago, canderson said:

Should we talk again about a meetup at a Senators game?

31 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

I wouldn't mind that. Or we could find out whenever the Astros are in Baltimore and heckle them. They've played one day of Spring ball and have already had to begin confiscating signs, which is going to be the best part of baseball this season, aside from the total gauntlet that the National League East is going to be. 

I'm interested. I'll have to see if I can work that in on a night when I'm not working for the Barnstormers. 

6 minutes ago, canderson said:

The Jake is fun, enjoy!

In summer 2001 my dad and I went to every MLB stadium, I need to do that again. (I’ve been to all the new stadiums except Citi and Target).

I'm looking forward to it - I had been to most about 20 years ago but with raising a family and all of the new ballparks there's only 9 parks currently in use that I've been to. Kids are grown so now it's time to catch up with all of the new construction. 

3 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I'm looking forward to it - I had been to most about 20 years ago but with raising a family and all of the new ballparks there's only 9 parks currently in use that I've been to. Kids are grown so now it's time to catch up with all of the new construction. 

We’ll see Texas’ new atrocity on May.

1 hour ago, Voyager said:

The Delaware Water Gap along I-80 right now...

(not my photo)

Oh wow, I was trying to see if it was showing up on satellite but couldn't see much in that area. What I did see on the satellite loop just before dark (around 5-6pm) was what looked like a couple brush fires in south central NJ. 

Visible (smoke plumes circled)

25473264_ScreenShot2020-02-24at12_26_42AM.png.5aca96d60e7f5c0e3485b5de45e8ef86.png

shortwave IR (hot spots circled) 

1018954912_ScreenShot2020-02-24at12_25_58AM.png.c110fc6437bc146e58535647de31cdfa.png

7 hours ago, MAG5035 said:

Oh wow, I was trying to see if it was showing up on satellite but couldn't see much in that area. What I did see on the satellite loop just before dark (around 5-6pm) was what looked like a couple brush fires in south central NJ. 

From some bus drivers who posted on a Facebook page, the fires started about that time, and got worse later into the night. Not sure how they're doing, but traffic on I-80 appears to be moving well per Google Maps, so they might be out/contained.

6 hours ago, MAG5035 said:

25473264_ScreenShot2020-02-24at12_26_42AM.png.5aca96d60e7f5c0e3485b5de45e8ef86.png

1018954912_ScreenShot2020-02-24at12_25_58AM.png.c110fc6437bc146e58535647de31cdfa.png

That's the Pine Barrens. Highly susceptible to fires...