• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - February 2020

6 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

The 0z Euro has a winter storm chance for us next Wednesday into Thursday. It keep the low under us with Decent Highs to our north. It brings a good swath of snow to all of CTP.

Only 8 days to go... let’s see if this becomes something legit to track?

Only took 1/2 a day to turn it into a Cutter/reform over us.  Model tracking this season has reminded me of this one minute clip:

• Haha 4

On 2/15/2020 at 4:04 PM, Itstrainingtime said:

@Bubbler86 not sure what the high will be at MDT, the 4pm reading was 34...

On the subject of the large departures this month, MDT sits at +7.9 as of today.  Looks like some normal or slightly below coming up late week  then a string of 4-5 days with double digit or close positive departures this weekend and next week followed by slightly above normal to end the month...so unless the MR guidance is way off we probably will not finish the month with a double digit positive departure.  Getting up to 60 a couple times next week is going to keep it high but probably stay in that 7-9+ range.  Still noteworthy but not historic.

24 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

On the subject of the large departures this month, MDT sits at +7.9 as of today.  Looks like some normal or slightly below coming up late week  then a string of 4-5 days with double digit or close positive departures this weekend and next week followed by slightly above normal to end the month...so unless the MR guidance is way off we probably will not finish the month with a double digit positive departure.  Getting up to 60 a couple times next week is going to keep it high but probably stay in that 7-9+ range.  Still noteworthy but not historic.

Thanks for digging that information up! 

In my mind I'm not going to remember this winter for the abnormally warm days, it's been the warm nights that will really stand out. Very few nights below 20 and none in the single digits. That speaks to how cloudy and damp it's been more than anything else. If we would have had a run of sunny warm days...then we'd be talking about historic instead of noteworthy. 

5 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Thanks for digging that information up! 

In my mind I'm not going to remember this winter for the abnormally warm days, it's been the warm nights that will really stand out. Very few nights below 20 and none in the single digits. That speaks to how cloudy and damp it's been more than anything else. If we would have had a run of sunny warm days...then we'd be talking about historic instead of noteworthy. 

I think the thing that struck me was the way everyone was talking about the cold night last Friday as if it was special...and it really was just a normal cold night at least LSV wise.  Below average cold but something that usually happens several times every winter.  It was balls to wall cold up in Northern PA.  At my place we were actually colder during one of the earlier cold nights this year...they have been so few though.

8 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I think the thing that struck me was the way everyone was talking about the cold night last Friday as if it was special...and it really was just a normal cold night at least LSV wise.  Below average cold but something that usually happens several times every winter.  It was balls to wall cold up in Northern PA.  At my place we were actually colder during one of the earlier cold nights this year...they have been so few though.

Yep - it's all about what you've become accustomed to. And sadly what we've become accustomed to this winter is mild days and and even milder nights. Normal cold suddenly feels extra-cold. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Not sure where thats coming from but yeah next week looks to warm for a few days.  Warmest panel i could find among the ensembles.  Its fair to say that maybe things warm as we get closer.  +6 still sucks in Feb. 

gem-ens_T2ma_us_20.png

and for the lovers of the Euro.

ecmwf-ens_T850a_us_7.png

Just now, pasnownut said:

Not sure where thats coming from but yeah next week looks to warm for a few days.  Warmest panel i could find among the ensembles.  Its fair to say that maybe things warm as we get closer.  +6 still sucks in Feb. 

and for the lovers of the Euro.

I was looking at the GFS panels which show it approaching 60 two days next week and the temp at MDT never going below 40 between 7AM Monday Morning and 7PM Thursday evening.   When they do the departures they they take both the high and low differences so a high of 60 and low of 40 is high double digit departure.  

• Like 1

For those looking for a little hope for winter to start/return...

here is the EOM on current guidance.  AO/NAO both are coming down as we enter the last week of Feb, so that to me supports the return to colder in the east.  Only fly I see is the PNA also trending to Neut from a +1ish setup, but to me the cold looks legit and seems to fit the base state.  Ens guidance seems to have lost the cutoff in the SW which would have cooked us once again.  EPS has been known to do that, but it seems to initially dump towards the SW then is progressive and keeps the 500's moving along. to what we see below.  I'd not feel comfy about anything locking in, but a legit window is there IMO.

gfs-ens_T850a_us_43.png

ecmwf-ens_T850a_us_11.png

3 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I was looking at the GFS panels which show it approaching 60 two days next week and the temp at MDT never going below 40 between 7AM Monday Morning and 7PM Thursday evening.   When they do the departures they they take both the high and low differences so a high of 60 and low of 40 is high double digit departure.  

Id not use an op beyond 5 days as you know swings can be rather drastic run to run (your comment yesterday to Blizz about one run showing a snow event to next showing a cutter....), but thats up to you.

I used 18z panels from ENS guidance for max warmth (to not show any bias that I may have towards cold) 

10 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

For those looking for a little hope for winter to start/return...

here is the EOM on current guidance.  AO/NAO both are coming down as we enter the last week of Feb, so that to me supports the return to colder in the east.  Only fly I see is the PNA also trending to Neut from a +1ish setup, but to me the cold looks legit and seems to fit the base state.  Ens guidance seems to have lost the cutoff in the SW which would have cooked us once again.  EPS has been known to do that, but it seems to initially dump towards the SW then is progressive and keeps the 500's moving along. to what we see below.  I'd not feel comfy about anything locking in, but a legit window is there IMO.

gfs-ens_T850a_us_43.png

ecmwf-ens_T850a_us_11.png

Seems like the very end of February/beginning of March offers at least some legitimate hope...

19 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

I'm telling you, March/April/May will feature a setup that's favorable for cold/snow, but because it's April/May, all we'll get is 51 damp, 47 degree days out of a possible 61 days. That's how things seem here anymore.

Actually...yes. If some of the long range guidance is correct we're gonna get our perfect winter pattern...well into spring. 

BTW - I think you were the first in here to call for a crapfest winter when most of the rest of us were singing some good vibes right along with Chris Janson.

16 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Seems like the very end of February/beginning of March offers at least some legitimate hope...

As I said, i'd not bet on anything locking in, as the progressive theme of winter is hard to argue against.  I'm not thinking about much of anything beyond 10 days (as I stated earlier this "winter").  To your point, yeah, we do find ways to do cold n damp spring rather well round here.

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Actually...yes. If some of the long range guidance is correct we're gonna get our perfect winter pattern...well into spring. 

BTW - I think you were the first in here to call for a crapfest winter when most of the rest of us were singing some good vibes right along with Chris Janson.

I got blasted for saying we'd be on the outside looking in. Turns out even I was wrong - no one on the east coast has been "in" except I guess interior northern New England. 

1 minute ago, canderson said:

I got blasted for saying we'd be on the outside looking in. Turns out even I was wrong - no one on the east coast has been "in" except I guess interior northern New England. 

actually from the northern tier of Pa through much of NY straight into the Dacks to southern VT/NH is doing pretty well for the last 3 weeks.  Here's links to snow cams as i dont want any to think I'm making stuff up.

http://www.northernchateau.com/

http://www.swedenhillsnocam.com/

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I"m blaming the :beer: