• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - February 2020

8 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I've driven to Florida many, many times and I still smile passing some of those signs. Not nearly as many as there were 30 years ago, but then again I haven't seen more than 4 cars in the parking lot for the past 29 years. :lol:

One of my favorites is "You never sausage a place" 

It doesn't take much to amuse me. 

I've got you and Bubbler beat on this one.  My father bought a motor home in 1969 when I was 10 years old.  My grandparents (mothers' side) had just retired from NJ to Boca Raton (FL).  So, each winter vacation we would drive down to Boca.  I-95 was barely under it's early days of construction and so the main highway through the North Carolina / South Carolina corridor was US 301.  That's the highway that South of the Border was located on.  I absolutely loved all the billboards that kept leading up to getting closer and closer.  You guys probably would remember one of my favorites which was the "Pedro never sleeps" which had a motorized sheep that kept going around in circles above Pedro's reclined head.  By around 1976 or 77 the construction of I-95 was nearing completion throughout that region and I'm sure it was then that South of the Border began to take a real fiscal hit.  Another favorite landmark of mine from that area were the Piggly-Wiggly supermarkets.  How I laughed at that name and the crazy other names of towns, etc, which I'm pretty sure were inspired by native American's many years before.  Ever hear of the tiny town of Coosawatchie, South Carolina?  There's a river by that name running around that area of southern South Carolina.  Lots' of great memories from the bygone era of the 70's in that part of the world.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CarlislePaWx said:

I've got you and Bubbler beat on this one.  My father bought a motor home in 1969 when I was 10 years old.  My grandparents (mothers' side) had just retired from NJ to Boca Raton (FL).  So, each winter vacation we would drive down to Boca.  I-95 was barely under it's early days of construction and so the main highway through the North Carolina / South Carolina corridor was US 301.  That's the highway that South of the Border was located on.  I absolutely loved all the billboards that kept leading up to getting closer and closer.  You guys probably would remember one of my favorites which was the "Pedro never sleeps" which had a motorized sheep that kept going around in circles above Pedro's reclined head.  By around 1976 or 77 the construction of I-95 was nearing completion throughout that region and I'm sure it was then that South of the Border began to take a real fiscal hit.  Another favorite landmark of mine from that area were the Piggly-Wiggly supermarkets.  How I laughed at that name and the crazy other names of towns, etc, which I'm pretty sure were inspired by native American's many years before.  Ever hear of the tiny town of Coosawatchie, South Carolina?  There's a river by that name running around that area of southern South Carolina.  Lots' of great memories from the bygone era of the 70's in that part of the world.

Thank you for sharing... all great stuff. I'm familiar with Piggly-Wiggly (can't say I was ever in one) and I have heard of Coosawatchie. :)

It's become tedious at best and maddening at worst to navigate 95 from Baltimore to Richmond, but I can honestly say that I love the drive from the Carolinas the rest of the way down to Jacksonville. 

We might need to take a drive south on 95 later next week to see snow! 

7 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Piggly Wiggly lives on in the South East and WV.  They are mostly in lower income or lower populated towns now.  

11 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

This thread is now about Pedro and how you're a coward if you've never walked around that dumpster fire at 3:30 AM on Ayahuasca talking to the trees thinking they're the god of the Interstate.

well it needs to be about something other gloomy, dearie, cloudy, rain....what else do we do in a winter like this one. :thumbsup:

Not sure if it was mentioned here but last month was the Warmest January in recorded history for the planet.  What's unique about it is that it the only non El Nino month in the top 10.  The most stunning thing I read and had not known was that January 2020 also marked the 44th consecutive January and the 421st consecutive month overall with temperatures above the 20th century average.

Kind of makes comparing things to past times useless. 

2 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Not sure if it was mentioned here but last month was the Warmest January in recorded history for the planet.  What's unique about it is that it the only non El Nino month in the top 10.  The most stunning thing I read and had not known was that January 2020 also marked the 44th consecutive January and the 421st consecutive month overall with temperatures above the 20th century average.

The only thing that I know is that one sweet day it will snow again in my backyard!

Agree. Some of the analogs being used for long range forecasts are completely useless. It would be like trying to play football on a basketball court.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, daxx said:

How can you talk about snow?..when there is none to talk about. 

When I pointed that out in mid December, to close out the month,  I was called a "banterer" so now I am touchy about it!  Ha.  It was not even banter anyway .  I saw models show no freezing temps for two weeks so I punted.  LOL. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

When I pointed that out in mid December, to close out the month,  I was called a "banterer" so now I am touchy about it!  Ha.  It was not even banter anyway .  I saw models show no freezing temps for two weeks so I punted.  LOL. 

Hell...you could have said most of the Winter. Imagine the responses you would have received. 

4 minutes ago, canderson said:

This is the only Pedro that matters.

13B4BC83-66FB-45BB-8021-E5849062E273.thumb.jpeg.f1342995d56ebed6b9560ee5e09ad3ab.jpeg

Ha, Here is some banter...

Cheating Red Sox!

Awesome, just like the cheating Patriots!

There, I finally did some good non snow talk banter .. !

Also, I promise everyone that it will snow here again unless we all melt from the rising temps !

Banter is fun !

Just now, Blizzard of 93 said:

Cheating Red Sox!

Also, I promise everyone that it will snow here again unless we all melt from the rising temps !

Banter is fun !

It does feel good! Sometimes you just need to let go!

1 minute ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Cheating Red Sox!

Banter is fun !

It is fun. There's nothing else going on and we're having fun and not griping. As soon as we see a snow opportunity we'll be all over it.

2 minutes ago, canderson said:

He had the most dominant season (compared to league average) in mlb history a a Red Sox. His 99-02 run is the best anyone has ever pitched compare to average. 

I think 97 was his best year considering he had 13 complete games in a league where the pitcher hit. It's semantics really...he was one of the best I've seen.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

He was so obscure pitching up there. He was absolutely filthy.

That entire franchise in the early 90s was hidden in Canada. It's crazy to think that the 94 players strike probably sent them to DC. That ballclub was eventually going to clear the hurdle they kept running into in the previous years and there wasn't anybody catching them. I think they would have had to deal with the Braves eventually that postseason, but I think the Expos were on the road to the pennant when they shut it down. 

A world series championship keeps them in Montreal, and builds a new ballpark. Now they're just stuck with nothing until the Rays get there.