• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - February 2020

10 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Speaking of wind, who needs to bring back the Concorde when you can just utilize the benefits of the hyper positive NAO/AO and strong PV?

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/british-airways-fast-flight-scli-intl-gbr/index.html

gfs-deterministic-natl_wide-z200_speed-1206400.thumb.png.db2aabb232547f5d151c6d8da6ab98ba.png

A BA 747 set a (subsuoersonic) record in flight time from NY to London last night. 4 hours, 58 minutes, crazzzzzy.

1 hour ago, canderson said:

A BA 747 set a (subsuoersonic) record in flight time from NY to London last night. 4 hours, 58 minutes, crazzzzzy.

That is nuts. I didn't realize at first it was a 747, I figured it was one of the newer models. I guess that's what happens when you can ride a 170kt+ jet streak 3/4 the way across the North Atlantic.

9 hours ago, MAG5035 said:

Speaking of wind, who needs to bring back the Concorde when you can just utilize the benefits of the hyper positive NAO/AO and strong PV?

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/british-airways-fast-flight-scli-intl-gbr/index.html

On my flight home Friday, apparently right beside tornadoes, we made it from Orlando-Sanford Airport to Hagerstown in less than 90 minutes.  Its usually about 120-125 minutes.  I had heard of tailwinds helping decrease time to fly but that was the most extreme example I have been part of. 

5 minutes ago, pawatch said:

Rain here this morning...no sign of snow.

The Midwest keeps getting pounded with snow. And the Southeast keeps getting pounded with rain.

At least we're not lacking precipitation.  

I noticed the models overstated the snow for today....they changed up at the last minute.  24 hours ago they had snow in the northern part of the LSV and all of a sudden it almost all changed to rain the 0Z suite last night.

2 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I noticed the models overstated the snow for today....they changed up at the last minute.  24 hours ago they had snow in the northern part of the LSV and all of a sudden it almost all changed to rain the 0Z suite last night.

The models have been doing that a lot this winter. Been really struggling...

No ice on the river this year. But high water has been hampering fishing a lot this winter.

Talking to a few guys they have been catching some nice musky on the river.

32 minutes ago, pawatch said:

The models have been doing that a lot this winter. Been really struggling...

No ice on the river this year. But high water has been hampering fishing a lot this winter.

Talking to a few guys they have been catching some nice musky on the river.

I have seen other people saying the models have been doing well but I think those comments were in the sense of mid range big picture.  For most of PA I do not think they have been doing well especially short term.  We each look at our own areas the closest but PA in general has not been forecast well in my opinion. 

I saw people buying out the limited mulch at our local Lowes yesterday.  People are noticing that its really not cold out and starting spring activities.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MAG5035 said:

Kinda suspect of the southern part of that snow zone. GFS is really showing some disjointed action going on there. Not sure if it's the p-type algorithm or what but I've noticed stuff like that from the GFS on the last system as well. It is presenting the best track attm so there probably would be a start as frozen as it just barely slides under PA. There's not a lot of ensemble support for snowfall from the GFS or Euro on this system, especially at MDT. 

Additionally, I think the northern folks  in here might have more of a snow event to deal with overnight into tomorrow than what's really been discussed. Precip just arriving here is in the form of flurries. I think models are being a bit optimistic with warming, especially in the north central region (Clearfield to IPT, perhaps down to UNV depending on precip coverage). Could be a 2-3 incher. Hopefully Nut has an extra day off and is still up north bc he'll probably see another snowfall.  

Nut had a fantastic weekend in Tioga/Potter.  Lots of snow (10" at cabin 3" from prior and 7" from Thursday night/Friday), and 5-7" in valley around Gaines/Galeton/Germania.  We did 181 miles and saw a decent amount of sled traffic.  Snow line was basically IPT and north on way up Friday.  We got 1 to 1.5" additional through Saturday evening till it tapered off.  Hearing reports of 1-2" additonal last evening before transition to rain.

If anyone wants to see pics and is on Fbook, check out Pa Grand Canyon Snowmobile club.  I am webmaster and do the updates on FBook w/ another guy.  You'll see some info I posted for trail conditions.  You can also check out our web page for cameras of various locations, as I'm sure some may be scratching heads as to there being any snow in this horrid winter....but there is a little bit in norther tier.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

The 0z GFS brings front end snow to most of CTP, including the LSV north of Rt.30 with storm late Wednesday into Thursday am.

12Z still brings a coating to 1" to the LSV before changing to rain but I am taking it with a grain of salt.  There are lots of salt grains available since the roads do not need them.  Hardy-Har-Har

12 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

12Z still brings a coating to 1" to the LSV before changing to rain but I am taking it with a grain of salt.  There are lots of salt grains available since the roads do not need them.  Hardy-Har-Har

PennDOT hasn't had to run a plow all season here and I don't think they've dropped any salt either. Think of all the money saving!

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, canderson said:

PennDOT hasn't had to run a plow all season here and I don't think they've dropped any salt either. Think of all the money saving!

Finishing up my second winter at this new location they have only had to plow here one time and that was not even in winter...it was the Nov 2018 Turkey Snow.  They drove the plow around another time or two during the last winter but it was a pity plow moving rain soaked slush off the road.  

3 hours ago, pasnownut said:

Nut had a fantastic weekend in Tioga/Potter.  Lots of snow (10" at cabin 3" from prior and 7" from Thursday night/Friday), and 5-7" in valley around Gaines/Galeton/Germania.  We did 181 miles and saw a decent amount of sled traffic.  Snow line was basically IPT and north on way up Friday.  We got 1 to 1.5" additional through Saturday evening till it tapered off.  Hearing reports of 1-2" additonal last evening before transition to rain.

If anyone wants to see pics and is on Fbook, check out Pa Grand Canyon Snowmobile club.  I am webmaster and do the updates on FBook w/ another guy.  You'll see some info I posted for trail conditions.  You can also check out our web page for cameras of various locations, as I'm sure some may be scratching heads as to there being any snow in this horrid winter....but there is a little bit in norther tier.  

Awesome Nut! I am glad you experience and see winter. Would love to see pics. Anyways, I may have to chase a snowstorm at some point. I'm going to wait a couple of more weeks likely but if next week signals are as bad as this weeks. I'll be on a plane somewhere to see winter!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, paweather said:

Awesome Nut! I am glad you experience and see winter. Would love to see pics. Anyways, I may have to chase a snowstorm at some point. I'm going to wait a couple of more weeks likely but if next week signals are as bad as this weeks. I'll be on a plane somewhere to see winter!

Fly into Denver and head up into the mountains...they've been getting crushed. If you want to stay in the east you'll have to go to interior NNE. 

49 minutes ago, paweather said:

I dont think you'll need a plane.  Tug Hill has 2' on the ground, and looking at recent runs, says Northeast is in the game for a couple opps at nice snow.  Maybe just s nice road trip instead.

Hope you get to enjoy it as well.

Nut