• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - February 2020

Most of the morning was quiet wind-wise, but I was just outside and noticed a west-northwest breeze picking up, so things must be changing. Not expecting much, but I wonder how long before the flakes fly. Looking at my phone radar, it appears that snow is mixing in as close as I-81 as I type this.

28 minutes ago, kerplunk said:

Awesome feeder...I used to have that one plus another 6 (different models) of the same brand.  That was until a bear climbed over my fence and destroyed them all.  Very expensive bear raid.

A few years ago I had about 350lb bear destroy my feeders.

41 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Most of the morning was quiet wind-wise, but I was just outside and noticed a west-northwest breeze picking up, so things must be changing. Not expecting much, but I wonder how long before the flakes fly. Looking at my phone radar, it appears that snow is mixing in as close as I-81 as I type this.

That low pressure center was traversing southeastern PA just about right over your head this morning and via mesoanalysis is centered roughly northern NJ under 976mb currently.

Measured 1.4" of snowfall this morning before the main precip with the deepening low moved away. There's more on this side of town (west side at the foot of the Laurels) than other parts of town. The backlash snows on the WNW flow from western PA are starting to try to move off the Allegheny front now so will see if we can get some additional. My guess is most of that probably doesn't make it east of I-99 this afternoon (downsloping). 

• Like 1

Maybe someone else has experienced this one, but in my 52 years on this planet, I haven't...

I went out on the front porch for a smoke (bad habit, I know) and it was raining lightly. As I was out there, I noticed what appeared to be fog reducing the visibility on the mountains around town. At first it was at the top and then slowly descended as if the cloud deck was lowering. I knew it was snow, and told the wife that probably 200 ft up it was snowing. Within 5 minutes of that statement, the first flakes started mixing in. It went to nearly all snow for a few minutes, but is now back to about a 60/40 rain/snow mix, and the "haze" has moved back up the mountains a bit.

So the atmospheric battle has begun here, but still, I've never seen it play out right before my eyes like that before...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Voyager said:

Maybe someone else has experienced this one, but in my 52 years on this planet, I haven't...

I went out on the front porch for a smoke (bad habit, I know) and it was raining lightly. As I was out there, I noticed what appeared to be fog reducing the visibility on the mountains around town. At first it was at the top and then slowly descended as if the cloud deck was lowering. I knew it was snow, and told the wife that probably 200 ft up it was snowing. Within 5 minutes of that statement, the first flakes started mixing in. It went to nearly all snow for a few minutes, but is now back to about a 60/40 rain/snow mix, and the "haze" has moved back up the mountains a bit.

So the atmospheric battle has begun here, but still, I've never seen it play out right before my eyes like that before...

I've seen that on the Mountain (Big Hill) behind me that runs along I-81. 

23 minutes ago, pawatch said:

A few years ago I had about 350lb bear destroy my feeders.

Bummer.  This one wasn't that big, but big enough to mangle everything.  Lots of people don't realize bears love birdseed.  I had finally managed to keep the racoons away using long poles hanging out from my fence that they couldn't grab and move, but the bear just grabbed the 3/4" solid steel poles and twisted them to where he could reach the feeders.  Oh well.

Well another one missed in this area. Hoping for little luck. Quick recap on next week on models. Icon was a solid storm, gfs suppressed , Cmc was close. Euro almost wants to cut it and with UKmet being great. So we got great track on UKmet and icon. See what happens. 

Euro

icon

Ukmet

14D21D22-711F-407C-B641-BFD91DD2121D.jpeg

18C656D5-6FDC-4216-8374-57EF02DDC7BD.jpeg

ECA7054B-4084-432D-A127-876568A44580.jpeg

2 hours ago, 2001kx said:

Had to make a trip to Johnstown today.

Went went down Dishong mtn road and what a scary ride.

Had to be 6-10 inches up there.

Oh wow that road would've been a mess. The short range guidance was pretty good at hitting that west central region between Pittsburgh and the eastern Laurel's with near warning or low end warning amounts, so I'm not surprised that it ended up being a pretty decent event up there.. as I mentioned earlier yesterday. CTP went into the overnight last night without even an advisory for Cambria/Somerset before finally having one in the morning. I'd imagine Clearfield did pretty decently too. I'm only up to 1.7" for the day with still some lingering snow showers around. I measured about 4.5" at the top of Wopsy mountain 4 miles away from here earlier this afternoon and there was also freezing rain on the trees too prior to the snowfall up there. 

1 hour ago, pasnownut said:

7” at cabin.  10” on the ground. 

Get the sleds out!

9 minutes ago, canderson said:

Save for some March random storm I’m pretty confident Harrisburg is set to have the worst snowfall in the past 100 or whatever years. February looks toast at the moment.

Nah not even the worst this century, I think MDT finally got it's measurable of the season during this week of February back in 2007. 

5 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Nah not even the worst this century, I think MDT finally got it's measurable of the season during this week of February back in 2007. 

Isn’t the lowest around 8”? Sitting at right around 6” currently. 

Im not cancelling entirely because March is kinda nuts but March snows suck in a way that disappear in 2 days max.

15 minutes ago, canderson said:

Save for some March random storm I’m pretty confident Harrisburg is set to have the worst snowfall in the past 100 or whatever years. February looks toast at the moment.

Lots of time....

We have been through this before...

The last 3 years MDT has had double digit snow in March...

There are still 3 weeks to go in February...

Should I keep going... ?

3 minutes ago, canderson said:

Isn’t the lowest around 8”? Sitting at right around 6” currently. 

Im not cancelling entirely because March is kinda nuts but March snows suck in a way that disappear in 2 days max.

Once again, Here is a chart that CTP produced with the snow totals at Harrisburg since 1980.

Lots of bad snow years in there & some good years. There are many ways to arrive at the 30 inch seasonal average.

436955B7-19DB-4944-9F80-EA5A66E132C7.png

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Once again, Here is a chart that CTP produced with the snow totals at Harrisburg since 1980.

Lots of bad snow years in there & some good years. There are many ways to arrive at the 30 inch seasonal average.

436955B7-19DB-4944-9F80-EA5A66E132C7.png

Ah 9”. 

The pattern just doesn’t want to change for the east coast.  It is what it is. Ignoring snow itself it’s not been cold this year at all. My heating costs are almost 40% lower than last year. 

Bugs will be brutal this summer.