Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2020 Golf Thread

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

11 minutes ago, mreaves said:

That might work but match play isn’t always good for tv. Matches can end early etc. Medal play is somewhat reliable time wise. Maybe you could expand the field to 36, give the top 4 a bye and play Thursday as match play, get down to the 16 winners plus the top 4 and then play a 3 day medal play tournament. The top 4 only have to play 3 rounds and the field is smaller. 

Apparently players voted against match play in 2018 before they came up with the staggered scoring so they were against it as well. But I think it is made for TV. People like seeing rankings and the upsets. You have 16 groups/matches on day 1...8 on day 2, etc...We’re talking best 30/32 players so anything can happen. Not like it’s 1 vs 124 in the WGR. Yea you could have matches ending early and some will suck so maybe a hybrid event would work. Regardless, they should find a way to give every player a realstic shot at winning while also rewarding the top fedex points players. 

11 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Apparently players voted against match play in 2018 before they came up with the staggered scoring so they were against it as well. But I think it is made for TV. People like seeing rankings and the upsets. You have 16 groups/matches on day 1...8 on day 2, etc...We’re talking best 30/32 players so anything can happen. Not like it’s 1 vs 124 in the WGR. Yea you could have matches ending early and some will suck so maybe a hybrid event would work. Regardless, they should find a way to give every player a realstic shot at winning while also rewarding the top fedex points players. 

Looks like you're not the only person thinking about changes to the FedEx Cup

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/how-to-make-sure-the-fedex-cup-playoffs-is-truly-a-playoff-john-feinstein

• Thanks 1

If anyone is interested A group of friends and I are are doing a golf weekend sept 18-20, we are playing fox hop yard the 19th and lake of isles the 20th. We have two spots if you want to join us . We’ll put some $ in for a team event and stableford match, so if you carry a handicap that would Be good but we could work around it if you don’t, let me know.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, S&P said:

If anyone is interested A group of friends and I are are doing a golf weekend sept 18-20, we are playing fox hop yard the 19th and lake of isles the 20th. We have two spots if you want to join us . We’ll put some $ in for a team event and stableford match, so if you carry a handicap that would Be good but we could work around it if you don’t, let me know.

Just one spot available now

8 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Oh I played Saturday and had my best round all season. 40/38 with triple on the front and a double on the back. Easy park style course though but I struck it well. Happy where my game is trending for next season when I can hopefully get out more. 

Nice. I’ve been beyond lost off the tee. I just can’t seem to stop coming over the top and cutting across the ball. My irons have been decent and my pitching/chipping have been good but when you can’t get off the tee, you can’t score. :(

9 hours ago, mreaves said:

Nice. I’ve been beyond lost off the tee. I just can’t seem to stop coming over the top and cutting across the ball. My irons have been decent and my pitching/chipping have been good but when you can’t get off the tee, you can’t score. :(

I had the same problem earlier this season. It’s usually because as amateurs we are too handsy and start throwing the club in too early in the downswing. When I started to kill my arms and focus on the body more, they softened up and began to drop it later and more underneath...getting a nice natural draw on my ball flight.

35 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I had the same problem earlier this season. It’s usually because as amateurs we are too handsy and start throwing the club in too early in the downswing. When I started to kill my arms and focus on the body more, they softened up and began to drop it later and more underneath...getting a nice natural draw on my ball flight.

That's pretty much what my teaching pro has told me.  Unfortunately, it seems to have had the effect of making me become ultra aware of it and magnifying it.  

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

The game is a mind fuk. 

Dead arms...dead arms. I keep telling myself that in my pre shot routine. 

Gotta use the body to pull the arms into impact. I always like to feel like my arms and hands are trailing by feeling as if I leave my hands at the top of my back swing, a la Brooks Keopka.

8 hours ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Gotta use the body to pull the arms into impact. I always like to feel like my arms and hands are trailing by feeling as if I leave my hands at the top of my back swing, a la Brooks Keopka.

Yea. I like that thought too. I’ve been doing a lot of ‘sidearm baseball throws’ to get the feeling of my arms still moving backwards in the backswing as I’m already transitioning my weight shift to my front side. It’s been a big help to me this season to act like I’m throwing a baseball sidearm or even a disc/frisbee.... getting to my frontside early and eventually posting up the lead leg for the strong finish. I used to throw my hips out thinking that’s how you clear them lol but it’s really just a post up.

Crazy game.

On 9/7/2020 at 9:45 PM, mreaves said:

I am commiserating right now because when being fitted for clubs several weeks back my spray chart on the simulator was brutal.  Three balls to the left of center and about 100 sliced to the right.  I hit the rest of my clubs decent like you as well, seems a directional driver problem.  I have a "shamble" format tournament tomorrow which is great as I can start playing my own ball from the best drive, however my hope is there will only be passing showers.  If we get into the real heavy stuff...:unsure:

23 hours ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Good advice and something I'll put to the front of my mind tomorrow.  Up until now my "trigger" to keep from slicing was making sure my hips and waist rotation were the very first movement on my takeaway as opposed to my hands moving the club back.  With that no longer preventing the slice it feels like a mindset change to ingrain this at the top of my swing is needed.  However as with all things I need to take a lot of practice swings before the round and ingrain this so I don't need to think about it intently DURING my live swings.

I think I was the only weenie to watch the safeway open but congrats to Stewie. 

The US Open is upon us and it will be absolute carnage at Winged Foot. Going to be fun watching pros treat pars like we do.

Woodland won it last year at +6600 and there has been some noticeable long shots to do so in recent history:

Spieth +8000 in 2015

Kaymer +12500 in 2014 

McDowell +25000 in 2010

Glover +27000 in 2009. 

So while the cream rises to the top in majors, anyone in good form can win it. Below card is a combo of recent good form, steady players, and posses good overall games. 

The card (100 points total):

Xander +1600 (20 points)

Webb +2800 (20 points)

Reed +4250 (20 points) - I hate him but I like money more. 

English +8050 (20 points)

Hojgaard +15200 (10 units)

Dahmen +25500 (10 units) ?? crazy odds for a great ball striker.

2 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Scoring is lower than expected but it will get tougher as the weekend unfolds. 

I like the Open this time of year.  So much better than players battling heat stroke and green getting fried to a crisp.  September golf is so underrated.  It seems like people just put away the clubs after Labor Day.  

12 hours ago, mreaves said:

I like the Open this time of year.  So much better than players battling heat stroke and green getting fried to a crisp.  September golf is so underrated.  It seems like people just put away the clubs after Labor Day.  

Agree. Best time of the year. 

Yes Phil....lose the shades. 

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

Winged Foot is starting show it's true nature.  From 20 players under par at the end of round 1 to only 5 now.    JT and Rory going backwards.  Patrick Reed playing well, I hope that doesn't hold up.

I hope it does. 20 units at +4250 is straight cash homie. I don’t like him personally or his game but hes a grinder on hard courses. 

But I’d rather my guy English win it at +8050 ha.

Two players broke away from the field but an inexperienced Wolff (-5) who can be very streaky puts anyone at +2, even +3, within reach, if someone can get inside the clubhouse at -1. Both Bryson (-3) and Wolff can meltdown at any moment. Wolff only hit 2 fairways yesterday en route to a 65 so he was extremely lucky to get decent lies out of the rough as he gained 3.4 strokes on approach. That’s insane considering he was never in the fairway.