Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2020 Golf Thread

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

7 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I’m been changing my thought process lately...going away from some things I learned last season and over the winter... and I find this guy to be simple but technical. Here is a good video on transition, which is where I struggle and probably many of us do. Follow him on youtube. 

I have seen his vids, he Is good, I bookmarked one on takeaway and staying on plane by position of your left elbow, which I struggle with

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, S&P said:

I have seen his vids, he Is good, I bookmarked one on takeaway and staying on plane by position of your left elbow, which I struggle with

Me too. I always had a tendency to roll my elbow during my backswing so the video you mention has helped me to be mindful to keep it pointing down as much as possible. 

2 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I for some reason have a lot of trouble getting a good hard swing on my irons. Can’t get the mechanics to all lock in for a nice shot. It’s kind of a wonky swing unless I just do a short like half burst almost 

Actually...Try not to swing hard with irons. I think most of my flush shots have a slower tempo where I’m not trying to max it out but more focused on pure contact.

55 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Actually...Try not to swing hard with irons. I think most of my flush shots have a slower tempo where I’m not trying to max it out but more focused on pure contact.

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I for some reason have a lot of trouble getting a good hard swing on my irons. Can’t get the mechanics to all lock in for a nice shot. It’s kind of a wonky swing unless I just do a short like half burst almost 

Tempo is key , slow on the takeaway, then use your lower body to generate power/ speed

• Like 1

8 hours ago, S&P said:

Tempo is key , slow on the takeaway, then use your lower body to generate power/ speed

The first time I went to PGA event tempo was driven home to me. I went to the Greater Hartford Open and was standing behind the 13th tee, close enough to almost grab the club in their backswing. The hole is a par 5 and the steady tempo really stood out. None of the players looked like they were swinging hard and were putting the ball 300+ yards  Smooth tempo is so important. Now if I could just follow that mantra consistently. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mreaves said:

The first time I went to PGA event tempo was driven home to me. I went to the Greater Hartford Open and was standing behind the 13th tee, close enough to almost grab the club in their backswing. The hole is a par 5 and the steady tempo really stood out. None of the players looked like they were swinging hard and were putting the ball 300+ yards  Smooth tempo is so important. Now if I could just follow that mantra consistently. 

That's what my practice swing always looks like. :lol:

I honestly think 90% of my problems could be solved with a "slow back and accelerate through" but I tend to accelerate back and overswing. I know I'm doomed when I can see the club head out of my left eye cross the plane at the top of my backswing (I'm right handed). 

7 hours ago, Modfan2 said:

So, what are some of the better SNE public courses? I had always liked Raceway in Thompson CT for the 18 holes, cart, and lunch deal they offered. Blissful Meadows in Uxbridge Ma is another decent course.

3 CT courses off the top of my head...Wintonbury Hills in Bloomfield. Fox Hopyard in East Haddam. Oxford Greens in Oxford. 

2 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

I honestly think 90% of my problems could be solved with a "slow back and accelerate through" but I tend to accelerate back and overswing. I know I'm doomed when I can see the club head out of my left eye cross the plane at the top of my backswing (I'm right handed). 

Yea. I like Morikawa’s slow takeaway. No coincidence he’s one of the best iron players. 

7 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

LoL , been there

12 hours ago, Modfan2 said:

So, what are some of the better SNE public courses? I had always liked Raceway in Thompson CT for the 18 holes, cart, and lunch deal they offered. Blissful Meadows in Uxbridge Ma is another decent course.

Depends on your price tolerance, there are 3 classes in my mind . $40-60 week day with cart, 60-100 and 100+

like raceway , CT national in 1st category, lots of others , one course that’s 100+ now, I used the play it for the less than 50 walking before new ownership , is NEWPORT national  in Middletown RI  will cost you  buck 25 now give or take, but it’s a great layout and gets very little play , so in great condition.

• Like 1

I’m been changing my thought process lately...going away from some things I learned last season and over the winter... and I find this guy to be simple but technical. Here is a good video on transition, which is where I struggle and probably many of us do. Follow him on youtube. 

That guy is good, he's out of Bethlehem pa. I also like Zach Allen's videos. He's all about shallowing the club at the beginning if the downswing. In fact, I was thinking about ponying up the $60 to get his more in-depth lessons. Haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Playing Windham Country Club (Windham, NH) tomorrow. Shot 80 there last year when I played it first time.  Hoping for about the same.  Really wish this game wasn't so expensive. Perhaps an annual membership somewhere would make it worth it.

I’m keeping track of how many times I golf and how much I spend to see if a membership somewhere would be worth it.

Do you use golf now? Some decent deals on that. We typically like to be under 60 dollars for 18 with a cart 

15 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Playing Windham Country Club (Windham, NH) tomorrow. Shot 80 there last year when I played it first time.  Hoping for about the same.  Really wish this game wasn't so expensive. Perhaps an annual membership somewhere would make it worth it.

8 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I’m keeping track of how many times I golf and how much I spend to see if a membership somewhere would be worth it.

Do you use golf now? Some decent deals on that. We typically like to be under 60 dollars for 18 with a cart 

The thing I love about having a membership is that I can go over anytime I want and hop on.  I can ply 3 or 4 holes if that's all I have time for.  Of course we aren't a big, busy course like the ones down near you guys but it's a nice perk.  The downside is that I don't travel to play nearly as much as I used to and I miss that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Not sure if anyone is watching but Muirfield beat up the best players today. Crazy how they can make the course that much more difficult in one week. Cut line will probably be + 2 or +3. Very US Open-ish.

Watching it now. Interesting how Jack said he didn’t like playing his best on the first day of a tournament. He said he like to feel like he was getting better each day. Tiger quite often follows that same pattern. 

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

Watching it now. Interesting how Jack said he didn’t like playing his best on the first day of a tournament. He said he like to feel like he was getting better each day. Tiger quite often follows that same pattern. 

Yea. That’s why you also usually see no-names put up low scores on day 1 in big events, then fade. Tough to have your A game 4 days in a row but if you can trend upward by being patient and feeling the course early instead of attacking aggressively...because you can’t win tournies early but you can lose them.

I’m perplexed how caught off guard some big names where with the course. Maybe they didn’t respect how much tougher it would play compared to last week so they weren’t as precise. The wind was a factor, sure, but big names shooting 80?! Dunno...interesting round tomorrow though to see who can bounce back. 

21 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Playing on Tuesday for the first time this year. Only played once last year too. 

Either playing Juniper Hills (Northborough) or Shining Rock (Northbridge)

Having a kid has done a number on my handicap (only 4 rounds so far this year) but every once and a while it still comes together for me. Played with Ekster last week and split the fairway in half on 1 about 280. Had about 120 in and parked it to 1 foot. 

Probably should've just walked back to the parking lot though.