• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2020 Golf Thread

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

If all goes according to plan (fingers crossed and wood knocked on) by the end of this week the 93 year old, member owned golf course that I have been president of for the last 2 and a half years will be sold to a local person who will keep it a golf course. The new owner has a sports camp up the road and the course will enable him to increase his golf program and allow the course to remain a community asset. There have been many sleepless nights and heartburn inducing days as we’ve tried everything to keep it running and I know my already sketchy game has suffered because of the stress of running the place has put me under. The deal is scheduled to close Thursday and the new owner wants to open for play Saturday.  We really did not expect to open for play this season so getting it ready for play is going to require a major push this week. For the first time in a while, I see a light at the end of the long, dark tunnel we’ve been traveling through. Maybe I can really begin to enjoy golf again. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I know man. I was looking at The Ranch in Southwick MA but that doesn’t help you much either lol. One day...we will play, one day. 

Walked our course with the new owner and new pro today showing them around.  Other than brutal wind and sub-40° temps, it was gorgeous.  Unfortunately I am no longer in the position of being able to offer free golf to people or the invite would have been there.  Here is a link to our, soon to be their website.  https://www.northfieldcountryclub.com/

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Only a 2:15 drive one way, plus having to work put this in the no category.

If I hadn't been away from work most of today, the drive would not put me off.  I enjoy road trips.  Probably would gas up before I left, sanitized myself and then not stopped until I got to the course, waved at Runnaway from a socially acceptable distance, stayed an acceptable distance from him the entire round (mainly because my ball would be in the rough/woods/adjacent fairways most of the time) got back in my car drive straight home and then immediately hop in a tub of sanitizer, which would sting many areas.  All in the name of fun!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Only a 2:15 drive one way, plus having to work put this in the no category.

Ha...Geez. That’s a brutal response. A no thank you but appreciate you trying to get the golf AMWX crew out would have sufficed lol. 

I kid...I get it. Next time I’ll drive the 5 hours round trip in hopes that someone from EMA shows up. 

• Like 1

On 5/12/2020 at 7:37 PM, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I booked a 1030 tee time on golfnow and there are still 3 players left at that time. So if anyone wants to rock, book it and PM me. Thanks.

Shiiiiit. I'll play with you next time. Maybe even golf.

• Haha 1

Played my first round today after not having swung a club since last season ended in October. It was like a spaghetti western, the good, the bad and the ugly. I ended the round with a 20’ putt to save par in 18 and ended up winning $7 or $8 on the day which is a good day with stakes we play for. The most important thing to come out of the day is that I didn’t hurt myself. That’s always a huge accomplishment for the first tome out. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

First round in on Saturday at Belgrade Lakes. Normally my crap posture means I fat my shots early in the year, but my big miss was topped shots all day. 52 on the front then resorted to G&Ts and managed 3 pars on the back, actually 3 of the last 5. 

Now that's a standard first round.  I was thinning shots, not to point of topping them but I'm sure that's soon to come.

Did anyone catch the Titleist Skins game from Seminole yesterday?  It was ok.  That Matt Wolff guy seemed pretty nervous playing with Fowler, McIlroy and D.J. on national TV.  He has quite the swing.  Seminole looked nice but it must be better in person to receive all the accolades it does.

On 5/18/2020 at 12:02 PM, mreaves said:

Now that's a standard first round.  I was thinning shots, not to point of topping them but I'm sure that's soon to come.

Did anyone catch the Titleist Skins game from Seminole yesterday?  It was ok.  That Matt Wolff guy seemed pretty nervous playing with Fowler, McIlroy and D.J. on national TV.  He has quite the swing.  Seminole looked nice but it must be better in person to receive all the accolades it does.

Seminole is like Bigfoot, probably should have kept it a secret, but was glad to be able to see it. Loved watching the boys tote their own bag.

52 minutes ago, S&P said:

Seminole is like Bigfoot, probably should have kept it a secret, but was glad to be able to see it. Loved watching the boys tote their own bag.

I liked seeing them carry  too. I have a push cart but prefer to carry. 
Played 9 tonight. Beautiful night to be out. Didn’t play well.