• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2020 Golf Thread

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

It’s that time for another season of discussing your game, the PGA, and anything golf related. Let’s face it, winter has sucked and the Waste Management is usually the first PGA event that turns me back into golf mode. 

Some of us discussed doing a GTG at the Ranch Golf Club in Southwick MA in the spring so let’s give it a shot. All levels welcomed and encouraged.

Discuss, ramble...

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Ah that’s turrable. What problems does your course face? 

Demographics and a 10 year hangover from tropical storm Irene. We had to borrow over $200k to repair from the floods and the debt service is eating us alive. We are a member owned 9 hole course and the golf business is tough enough when you only have 6 months per year at most to make your money. 

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, mreaves said:

Demographics and a 10 year hangover from tropical storm Irene. We had to borrow over $200k to repair from the floods and the debt service is eating us alive. We are a member owned 9 hole course and the golf business is tough enough when you only have 6 months per year at most to make your money. 

Natural disasters can really do a number. The golf course in St. Thomas is still up for sale (~5 mil if anyone is in the market) after Irma/Maria. Miss one season of golf and I'm sure they couldn't make payments too.

4 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Natural disasters can really do a number. The golf course in St. Thomas is still up for sale (~5 mil if anyone is in the market) after Irma/Maria. Miss one season of golf and I'm sure they couldn't make payments too.

You could get ours for less than $400k. It’s a bargain!

9 hours ago, mreaves said:

Never knew how bad it can get. Always seems like the sport is thriving with practically every course doing well. 

10 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Never knew how bad it can get. Always seems like the sport is thriving with practically every course doing well. 

Yeah, this is a misconception. After the Tiger Boom, the golf industry as a whole has taken a hit. Not as much interest in the sport overall has led to dwindling profit margins.

• Like 1

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

The golf industry is tough. In much of the country it’s been overbuilt and the number of golfers has been dropping. High end courses so well but many are real estate ventures where the course is an amenity. This article talks about it. https://www.turfnet.com/news.html/tough-times-are-taking-the-fun-and-memories-out-of-golf-r834/

3 minutes ago, Kitzbuhel Craver said:

Product of the entire industry, courses closing more and more.

I’ve found the corporate world just isn’t designed for places like ours either. Member owned, lots of volunteer hours to keep things going. Golfer numbers dropping and most of those just want to pay a fee and play. They don’t want to be involved beyond that. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, mreaves said:

I’ve found the corporate world just isn’t designed for places like ours either. Member owned, lots of volunteer hours to keep things going. Golfer numbers dropping and most of those just want to pay a fee and play. They don’t want to be involved beyond that. 

Those days of having family memberships to country clubs are even slipping away. Not many people have that kind of disposable income. I'd love to do it (and my wife is even on board with the idea!) but it comes down to $3000 plus monthly food vs. a vacation or two (or more likely preschool). 

8 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

A great finish to WMO that no one outside of die hard golfing fans saw. 

I feel bad for Finau, he just can't seem to get over the finish line.  I listened to quite a bit of it on satellite radio driving home from Maine.  Stopped for dinner with Finau leading by 2, came back out to hear Simpson sink the winning putt.   

Love it. Kiss this sorry excuse for Winter goodbye and move on to golf season.  We keep this pattern up, maybe the course will be open in March down south. Hoping to get out a couple more times this year than last (~10).  Hoping to keep my strides with the putter going from last year. Would really like to get to a 2 handicap. Not that I have one officially, but probably around a 6. A new set of sticks (mine are now 7 years old) and playing more often should do it.

On the topic of equipment, I was at the local golf store towards the end of last season. I was complaining to the guy that I hit the ball too high and I'm losing distance. He stuck me in one of those TrackMan machines. My spin rate was absurd, like 8,000 rpms with my 7-iron (tour average is ~6,500).  Guy handed me a 2019 7-iron and my rpms dropped to 6,800. The new technology is insane. 

Now what to do to convince the wife a new set of sticks is ok. lol

3 hours ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Love it. Kiss this sorry excuse for Winter goodbye and move on to golf season.  We keep this pattern up, maybe the course will be open in March down south. Hoping to get out a couple more times this year than last (~10).  Hoping to keep my strides with the putter going from last year. Would really like to get to a 2 handicap. Not that I have one officially, but probably around a 6. A new set of sticks (mine are now 7 years old) and playing more often should do it.

On the topic of equipment, I was at the local golf store towards the end of last season. I was complaining to the guy that I hit the ball too high and I'm losing distance. He stuck me in one of those TrackMan machines. My spin rate was absurd, like 8,000 rpms with my 7-iron (tour average is ~6,500).  Guy handed me a 2019 7-iron and my rpms dropped to 6,800. The new technology is insane. 

Now what to do to convince the wife a new set of sticks is ok. lol

Ha. That’s my next big personal investment but maybe the wife and kids come first? I always struggle with that question.  

11 hours ago, mreaves said:

I feel bad for Finau, he just can't seem to get over the finish line.  I listened to quite a bit of it on satellite radio driving home from Maine.  Stopped for dinner with Finau leading by 2, came back out to hear Simpson sink the winning putt.   

It’s so hard to win as it is but when you’ve come so close this many times it has to wear on you a bit. 

6 hours ago, DotRat_Wx said:

Just had two shots of steroids in the ole lower back a few weeks ago. Sciatica a bit better. Need to hit the gym to strengthen my back and legs. If I get in a bit better shape, maybe I break 80 first time this year. If I keep eating pizza, I'll be completely sidelined, LOL.

Similar boat...before my back and hip injuries, as well as a 2nd operation on my right leg, I was hitting over 300 with a cheap steel taylor made. Hoping to play a little this year, though it's been around 10 years.

6 hours ago, DotRat_Wx said:

Just had two shots of steroids in the ole lower back a few weeks ago. Sciatica a bit better. Need to hit the gym to strengthen my back and legs. If I get in a bit better shape, maybe I break 80 first time this year. If I keep eating pizza, I'll be completely sidelined, LOL.

Hopefully you get well enough to get out there. Nothing like a round of 18.

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

WGC Mexico is a good tournament, underrated because of how early it is played. Rory back to his old putter and it made a difference. Funny how fickle putting can be. 

The putter reall let him down last week.  At one point, I think I heard he missed 6 putts of less than 10'.  You can't win doing that.