• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
The Winter of 2019-2020 Stinks - Let's Complain

WeatherPSU

We all judge seasons on our own subjective data. One good baseline I use for a winter is did it have a memorable or anomalous event or was it a dumpster fire start to finish? 2016 was a 30" event in my yard. Biggest single event in the 18 years I've lived here. That stat alone makes 2016 a memorable and good winter even with lots of dead space. I liked 2015-16 FAR more than 2010-11 and 10-11 was at least acceptable by my grading standards. 
2016 was a hecs and it also gave us 3 weeks of snow cover...plus 10 days of tracking it...that storm gave us a month worth of snow fun lol
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Ji said:
1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:
We all judge seasons on our own subjective data. One good baseline I use for a winter is did it have a memorable or anomalous event or was it a dumpster fire start to finish? 2016 was a 30" event in my yard. Biggest single event in the 18 years I've lived here. That stat alone makes 2016 a memorable and good winter even with lots of dead space. I liked 2015-16 FAR more than 2010-11 and 10-11 was at least acceptable by my grading standards. 

2016 was a hecs and it also gave us 3 weeks of snow cover...plus 10 days of tracking it...that storm gave us a month worth of snow fun lol

It was an amazing event on every level. Rivals the first feb 2009 event for long tracking. 09 gets the nod because NWP technology is more advanced now. 

I try to never want to tell people how to think about winters or events. I will say there are plentiful people that think we live in Buffalo for # of events and Boston for size of events and anything less than that is abject failure. Kinda like you. LoLoL.

We regularly have warm lame winters with abysmal snowfall. Any winter better than that is a win to me. So far this year it's one of the absolute worst winters. We knew we never had a chance in 2011-12 so it wasn't a big deal. 12-13 was bad with enough action late to not be abject failure. This winter is brutal because there's been a lr storm lurking at all times that never comes close to working out. It's like a hex or something 

2 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

Oh yeah, wasn’t trying to say there is a right or wrong. I personally love snow that sticks around so little events back to back to back are fine with me. The stretch in early 2014 was great, we had snow cover for at least a month 

20 minutes ago, mappy said:

Oh yeah, wasn’t trying to say there is a right or wrong. I personally love snow that sticks around so little events back to back to back are fine with me. The stretch in early 2014 was great, we had snow cover for at least a month 

Oops. Didn't mean to imply anything irt to your posts. A number of people look back as 2016 being a fail year. If that's a fail year then what's 2011-12 or this year so far? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

Oops. Didn't mean to imply anything irt to your posts. A number of people look back as 2016 being a fail year. If that's a fail year then what's 2011-12 or this year so far? 

Yeah I don’t think it’s a fail, I hit climo after all. I like many littler events vs one giant one and nothing else. But snow is snow 

3 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

Agreed. Obviously 2009-2010 is the GOAT and something none of us will likely ever experience again, and 2013-2014 was amazing and will also be hard to experience again because we just kept tracking event after event for the longest time and kept hitting on almost every single one and had some serious cold. I don't ever remember a winter that was legit wall-to-wall like that one.

But most of our winters are garbage, and so when you get a legit blizzard and it dumps the most snow in a single storm many of us have ever seen, that makes it worth it. Another cool thing about that storm was that it was locked in for like a week and never budged. Every run kept spitting out insane totals. I would certainly take a 2015-2016 winter right about now!

2 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

It was an amazing event on every level. Rivals the first feb 2009 event for long tracking. 09 gets the nod because NWP technology is more advanced now. 

I try to never want to tell people how to think about winters or events. I will say there are plentiful people that think we live in Buffalo for # of events and Boston for size of events and anything less than that is abject failure. Kinda like you. LoLoL.

We regularly have warm lame winters with abysmal snowfall. Any winter better than that is a win to me. So far this year it's one of the absolute worst winters. We knew we never had a chance in 2011-12 so it wasn't a big deal. 12-13 was bad with enough action late to not be abject failure. This winter is brutal because there's been a lr storm lurking at all times that never comes close to working out. It's like a hex or something 

Funny, but in so many ways I miss living in northeast Ohio!  No, we never got the big East Coast storm totals, or maybe something on the periphery from huge ones like March 1993.  In my time here (going back to 2001), I've seen more snow from the big single storms than from any single synoptic scale event in Ohio.  I swear I never witnessed a 20" storm until I lived here, and I've now experienced 4 of them (and a couple of others not far behind).  But damn...even in a crap year you could pretty well count on 40" for the season in northeast Ohio, especially on the east side of Cleveland where I was (KCLE averages around 60, I think).  And you could always count on some decent lake effect events after rain and a cold front went through.  We'd get a good number of 4-8/6-12 kind of synoptic events, and it would generally stick around for awhile just simply because, well, it's a lot colder there climatologically than here!  I won't even go into the Ohio Blizzard of 1978 (The "White Hurricane" as it was known), which...even though it didn't have a large amount of snow...is still the most severe and dangerous winter storm I've lived through.

When I first moved here, it took me a couple or so years to realize the "average" snow was kind of meaningless, and that you get feast or famine in most years.  That wasn't true in northeast Ohio, where the variance is far less!  Now I totally understand what's what here.  Get hammered, or get nothing, and all it takes is one damn big storm to exceed normal.  In a way, I've actually learned to appreciate that!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BristowWx said:

We continue to hit bottom.  You think we’ve hit bottom and then floor gives out and there is another bottom.  A months worth of precip in Feb all rain.  

This is the Curse of Oak Island weather. Last winter there was a chance I got to the bottom of it in March, but no here comes season 2 and every month ARRGhhh another level! 

17 hours ago, mappy said:

depends on who you ask. i think many would say one storm doesn't make a winter. without that Jan blizzard, almost everyone would have had less than 10 that year (myself included) 

Yeah, that was a terrible winter for State College; despite getting 7" from that storm, we tied the all-time record for lowest seasonal snowfall.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Apologize in advance if this has been posted already but does anybody else find it comical that this winter is SO BAD we need a separate panic and complaint thread? That a strong technical indicator that this winter is a pile of hippo dung spread all over the MA

Just increases the odds that Ji might actually post in the correct thread

Im ussually optimistic and generally dont look past about 10 days but ive resigned myself to the fact that my yard isnt going to see anymore snow this winter.

Ive lived in smithsburg for about 20 years now and we have not had a winter this snowless.

Each and every time the models give us a glimmer of hope it quickly turns into a flaming pile of dog s#*t.  It Is what it is this year.

I am about 5 miles from the pa border with an elevation of around 750ft and im at 5" for the season.

That would be the lowest seasonal total for me since moving here.

This one hurts....I'm tryin' to kinda go through the "5 stages" so to speak for this winter...but the futility is hitting me today (I guess a part of me was holding out a little hope a fluke.) Just depressing today...with the absence of the winter white, life turns grey. Even the remotest possibility of snow brightens life...but knowing we may have to give up that already? Yeah, that's pretty depressing...

6 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

This one hurts....I'm tryin' to kinda go through the "5 stages" so to speak for this winter...but the futility is hitting me today (I guess a part of me was holding out a little hope a fluke.) Just depressing today...with the absence of the winter white, life turns grey. Even the remotest possibility of snow brightens life...but knowing we may have to give up that already? Yeah, that's pretty depressing...

Sorry brother.  That was a sad post to read.  you never know it might turn around.  March can be fun sometimes.  Cram a winters worth of snow and ice into 10 days and then November is only 8 months away by then.  The clock resets...along with hope

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ji said:

i got 30 inches last year...why does eveeryone  keep saying we havent had winter in 4 years

Because your area wasn't representative of those of us along I-95 near Balt and points east. You know (because we keep reminding you) that we did not get the surprise foot storm that you did, for instance.

6 minutes ago, Ji said:

i got 30 inches last year...why does eveeryone  keep saying we havent had winter in 4 years

Even if my yard only got 3-5" with the 1 good event this is still a pretty good showing in # of events and snow totals. There is no comparison to how awful this year is in my mind...

11/15/2018: 2.2"

1/12-13/2019: 11.4"

1/16/2019: 1.7"

1/29/2019: 1.5"

2/1/2019: 1.5"

2/10/2019: .7"

2/20/2019: 5.1"

3/1/2019: 1.7"

3/8/2019: .7"

2018-19 Season Total

26.5"

On 2/4/2020 at 10:32 AM, Bob Chill said:

Apologize in advance if this has been posted already but does anybody else find it comical that this winter is SO BAD we need a separate panic and complaint thread? That's a strong technical indicator that this winter is a pile of hippo dung spread all over the MA

giphy.gif

Now THAT'S funny!  Why on earth does he give a sh!t where his sh!t falls and how?  There MUST be some particular reason why a hippo has developed such a finely tuned capability to spread his sh!t in such a refined manner.  Can't say I've seen that before, but how often do we have the chance to observe first-hand how a hippo disperses their sh!t?  If only hippos lived on the Galapagos Islands then Darwin probably would have developed a theory...