Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The Winter of 2019-2020 Stinks - Let's Complain

WeatherPSU

39 minutes ago, Zanclidae said:

And all of that comes in March! :P

Probably :(

3 of the past 5 years (at least) our biggest or second biggest snowfall has come in March. 

Wished our climate matched meteorological winter vice astronomical. Cold and snowy in Dec, Jan, and Feb (and Nov.)...yes please! Come March though, I'm ready for 70s and sunny every day. 

35 minutes ago, Its a Breeze said:

I do believe 2016 may take issue with that statement :)

depends on who you ask. i think many would say one storm doesn't make a winter. without that Jan blizzard, almost everyone would have had less than 10 that year (myself included) 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, mappy said:

depends on who you ask. i think many would say one storm doesn't make a winter. without that Jan blizzard, almost everyone would have had less than 10 that year (myself included) 

We all judge seasons on our own subjective data. One good baseline I use for a winter is did it have a memorable or anomalous event or was it a dumpster fire start to finish? 2016 was a 30" event in my yard. Biggest single event in the 18 years I've lived here. That stat alone makes 2016 a memorable and good winter even with lots of dead space. I liked 2015-16 FAR more than 2010-11 and 10-11 was at least acceptable by my grading standards. 

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, mappy said:

You're right...it depends on whom you ask, and even where they live (their particular local climo., that sort of thing).  And in general, I'd agree that one storm doth not a winter make, but in 2016 I personally would make an exception.  Simply because...oh, my!!...what a storm!  Like you, I certainly would have less than 10", probably far less, that season without the blizzard.  I think we got a small snow to ice event in February sometime, but that was it.  And the little clipper-like snow a couple of days before the blizzard when it was quite cold was neat.  After the ridiculous +11.5 temperature departure for December 2015, damn near anything looked good!

Last year was a mixed bag, and again depended on where you live I guess.  Kinda average for the most part.  The DC metro area got that one nice event in mid-January, there was some solid cold that month, and we got the neat event in February.  At least there was cold around throughout the season.  The disappointment really was how so many medium range models and ensembles kept trying to show a great pattern...that never really materialized (frustrating from an NWP perspective, for sure!).  But that's more an expectation issue than the actual weather.  This winter, even if we get one decent warning-level event, won't be even in the same zip code as last year...and I say that simply because there has been almost literally no cold air around here at all.  A couple of crisp days, but we had damn near everything go wrong.  Now if we get a PD-II or 2016 or some other HECS, I may change that view of this year a little!

I've often said that 2006-07 was pretty darned good, in my book.  No, we didn't get a lot of snow, in fact I think most areas were below normal?  But after a warm December and first half of January that winter, things got going!!  From mid-Jan through about early or mid-March, it was memorable for me...especially the very cold February!  And we did get some snows as well as very trackable events.  That winter, honestly, was one storm away from probably being on everyone's "good to very good" list (I'm talking about the Valentine's Day event, that ended up as sleet/ice around here).  Move that storm track just a bit and we'd all have gotten an area-wide foot or so from it...though that's like me saying in hindsight about the 2016 World Series, "If Jason Kipnis' long fly ball in the bottom of the 9th of Game 7 was 2 feet to the left instead of just foul, he'd have had a walk-off Series winning HR, and Cleveland would be the champs that year!" (LOL!!).  But even without that storm being a big hit, 2006-07 for some reason always stands out as one I remember in a good way.

• Like 2