Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 4th-7th Winter Storm Potential

Thundersnow12

14 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

0z HRRR is about as good as it gets on this side of the lake, for lake effect snow duration/quality.

Obviously a bit of synoptic snow in the totals below, but most of it is LES. Also, LES is still ongoing, with a re-newed push incoming at the end of the run.

bust

4 hours ago, TheRegionRat said:

Yard measurements of 3.5" to 4.5".  Wait and see on the LES.  Grass is covered for the first time this winter.  It looks like there was some sleet at the onset.  There was a glaze of slush/ice on the sidewalks.  

Similar here, measured just under 4".  Like you, grass completely covered for the first time.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

LOT had 4.1" off 0.22". So high there as well.

I don't care what the numbers are... I shoveled the stuff this morning lol

Being serious though, wonder if there was some undercatch by the sensors?  Or maybe ratios were just worse farther south/east.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Being serious though, wonder if there was some undercatch by the sensors?  Or maybe ratios were just worse farther south/east.

Someone is snippy after finally getting their first grass-covering snowfall of the season. :scooter:

Probably differing ratios, per usual. Started off as sleet/snow pellets here for a while originally, which didn't help.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MIstorm97 said:

Just brutal. OKC picked up more than CHI and DET combined so far. That’ll change by tonight but still, been bottom shelf bad

The snow swath was very underwhelming, but that was the 1st measurable snowfall of the season and Oklahoma City lol it's been bad here but I would not call it bottom shelf bad.  Snowfall is running not far from average here, and is way below average just to our South.  With these HORRIBLE models I refuse to say anything to jinx it, but you do the math, if some of the snow this week pans out, we could actually be in positive snow departure territory.

• Weenie 2

35 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Probably different dynamics this far North, but I certainly agree with you. It was pure sugar here despite temperatures in the mid 20s. I had 2.0" of snow on 0.20" of liquid equivalent. ASOS often slightly under catches snow water equivalent for what it's worth

• Like 1

3 hours ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Completely usable day here in the 6.  I don't know why there's a special weather statement still in effect.  I think we can handle 2-3" of snow in February without a headline.

EC's warning system is a joke lol. 

Dry air basically shredded last night's storm. I was a bit concerned about it but didn't think it would limit snow totals to <2". 

Tonight's event looks a bit disorganized as per radar right now but it'll likely pick up later as the storm deepens. Dry air won't be an issue tonight. I think we can squeeze in 5cm tonight if we can tap into some of that moisture.