• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 4th-7th Winter Storm Potential

Thundersnow12

This is usually the timeframe short range models like NAM, RGEM diverge from globals. In this case SE of GFS, 12Z Euro. CMC did shift SE wouldnt be surprised to see readjustment back the other way a bit. NAM is just too volatile to put much credence in. It has had drastic shifts with previous systems right up to go time.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, A-L-E-K said:

Overnight guidance was good, gonna be a big dog if the lake plays ball here 

yeah. qpf amounts are a bit modest, but in this winter we can't bellyache about what could be the seasons big event. Note: moderate in many other years. 

27 minutes ago, A-L-E-K said:

nice movement in the plumes, looking like a 3-5 area wide event with 6+ in LES hit areas

Will go on the low end of that for far NW burbs. Another click or two SE with no lake bail out and its 1-2"

1 minute ago, RyanDe680 said:

These totals are too amp'ed.  This is 2019-2020, year of the overdone model.  Even at 10:1, I don't see the moisture to support that swath.

I agree. These maps are pretty to look at but I’m prepared for a 4-6 inch event for most of us. If we get more I’ll be thrilled. 

• Like 1

DTX seem pessimistic about this one. 

So, there remains uncertainty in liquid to snow ratios which causes sensitivity to the bottom line snow forecast. The forecast soundings do not offer a great signal for high snow ratios with a deep isothermal layer (-3 to -4 C) from 4.0 to 10.0 kft which favors needles and columns. Did not change snow ratios much for the warm advection/fgen event and used 9:1 to 11:1. So with a QPF forecast of .25 to .40 inch, continued with a 2 to 4 inch forecast for the event through 18Z Thursday. Current indications suggest an advisory event.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, RyanDe680 said:

These totals are too amp'ed.  This is 2019-2020, year of the overdone model.  Even at 10:1, I don't see the moisture to support that swath.

most likely overdone...as they typically are...any year...and I would not say amped. Looks like a solid 3-6" snow event with the wildcard being lake enhancement. This was never a 8-12" type event in this neck of the woods. 12Z GFS holds serve on placement it appears.

2 minutes ago, Baum said:

most likely overdone...as they typically are...any year...and I would not say amped. Looks like a solid 3-6" snow event with the wildcard being lake enhancement. This was never a 8-12" type event in this neck of the woods. 12Z GFS holds serve on placement it appears.

I think given this winter, 2-4" is amp'ed....  (kicks small 4" x 3" ice glacier)