Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 2020 Discussion

IWXwx

15 minutes ago, Snownado said:

Im assuming schools are closed with those type of temps.

Minneapolis and St. Paul city schools are open but many suburban schools are closed. Quick check revels in Duluth where it’s presently -21F there are no closings. 

We are a hardy bunch in Minnesota. Also this type of weather typically happens annually

• Like 3

While it looks certain to go below 0 tonight in Madison, with no other below 0 temps on the horizon and time running out quickly for them to occur there is another record we could be trying to attain or tie, least number of below zero days in a year.  Currently the record holder is 1877-78 with 1 but I am always skeptical of temperature records back then since measurements were only taken 3 times a day.  A more modern record is 1997-98 with 2 days.  Unfortunately it looks like it will go below 0 before midnight, which means we will get hit with 2 days below 0, even though it's occurring for only 1 night.

• Weenie 1

Besides Chicago not having a subzero low to this point, it may not be surprising to find out that there have been very few days with single digit lows.  There have only been 3 such days so far.  The record for the fewest number of lows <10 is 3 days, so that record will remain.  

• Like 1

Snowed 4" of very fine talcum powder type snow last night and early today, with winds gusting over 30 mph at times... super dry air across the lake in Canada with dews in the -30's, held accums down. 5 for the high today and already down to -6... -20 could be in play.  Feels cold since MQT is having their second warmest Dec-Feb so far.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Geoboy645 said:

-15 here. I am not surprised at all by Black River Falls being -33, they are always like the coldest spot in the area. Them and Lone Rock.

When I was a kid growing up in Madison (early '90s), our TWC local forecasts would always show current conditions at Madison, as you'd expect. However, when I visited my paternal grandparents in Beloit, their local forecasts always began with "Conditions at Lone Rock." This struck me as odd even then, even more so when I realized Lone Rock isn't anywhere near Beloit.

1 hour ago, vortex said:

Rockford IL set a new record low for the day, dropping to at least -10° this morning & breaking the old record of -8° in 1916. 

Along with the record of -7 on the 13th, the former record of -8 for today are both actually the only two record lows not -10 or lower for early/mid-Feb (Feb 1-25th).

1 hour ago, Chicago Storm said:

Along with the record of -7 on the 13th, the former record of -8 for today are both actually the only two record lows not -10 or lower for early/mid-Feb (Feb 1-25th).

Dubuque was able to set a new record this morning for the same reason.  Strangely, while Dubuque's old record for today was only -11º, which seems pretty mild, Cedar Rapids' record today is -27º.

8 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Dubuque was able to set a new record this morning for the same reason.  Strangely, while Dubuque's old record for today was only -11º, which seems pretty mild, Cedar Rapids' record today is -27º.

I don't see how a record of -11 seems pretty mild considering we are just 2 weeks from March.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Snownado said:

I don't see how a record of -11 seems pretty mild considering we are just 2 weeks from March.

-11 is tame for Dubuque.  If you take away the 29th (leap year day), -11 was the mildest February record low in Dubuque.  Yesterday's record low is -25.  Remember, only two weeks ago, last year, Dubuque hit -31.  Dubuque's record low on March 6th is still -11.

• Like 2