Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 2020 Discussion

IWXwx

3 minutes ago, Snownado said:

More like a transition month I think. Detroit's average high temp is 10+ warmer in March than Feb and average snowfall is a lot lower in March.

Fair point, esp regarding temps (avg snowfall is 6.9"). But i think of april as the bigger transition month. April is a month that most years has both days with snowflakes and days where it feels like summer. But in terms of looks, outside of 2012, march landscape definitely looks more like winter than spring. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

March 2012 tho.  Remember that?  I think it's supposed to happen like every other year or three now.   

Whats funny, is that outside of the record or near record early green up in 2012 (no actual records exist to compare, but id say its up there with 1945 as earliest on record), most years since have had a late greenup. Its actually to the point where it almost seems like the color season and spring greenup have each shifted a bit later, maybe like a week

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Fair point, esp regarding temps (avg snowfall is 6.9"). But i think of april as the bigger transition month. April is a month that most years has both days with snowflakes and days where it feels like summer. But in terms of looks, outside of 2012, march landscape definitely looks more like winter than spring. 

730-8 pm sunsets make March feel more like spring than winter i think.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Snownado said:

2 months ? Met Spring begins in 26 days

I feel the “Met” seasons fit for the most part at least in south east MI. To me March-May are Spring ish months, can you get winter and summer weather during that time frame, absolutely. Just like we can get Fall and Spring type weather in the “Met” winter months of December-February. In northern MI, March is definitely a winter month, no question but down here it fits in the Spring category I feel. For what it’s worth my deepest snow depths up at our cabin have almost always been the first week of March since we’ve had a place up there the past 18 years.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wxman_ind said:

IND reached 67 degrees today, destroying the previous record of 62. The old record of 62 was last reached in 2019.

It looks like that is the first time that IND surpassed a previous record high by 5+ degrees since 2/20/2018.  Thank God I didn't have to go too far back to track that down.  :lol:

• Like 3

13 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Damn, that's substantially warmer than it got here, 40 degrees.  Was enough to melt off some more snow though, and now down to 1-2" or so.

Yeah no snow cover virtually all winter has allowed us to warm up substantially. Yesterday forecasted high was 5 degrees warmer than forecasted. It felt so nice, and really gave me the spring itch.

Snow has tapered to flurries after falling heavy at times today.  Measured 9" on the railing of the deck. 

With no real thaw here this winter, snow depth is around 4'.  Anytime it has gotten above freezing a degree or so, dews remained low with little melt.

There's a "Shinning" type feel to winter now. :D

IMG_2445.JPG.9c272c1454e490d5b0184c30c6ee4efc.JPG

IMG_2447.JPG.d0190fc6b6396330a920a9af21fa51bf.JPG

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Snow has tapered to flurries after falling heavy at times today.  Measured 9" on the railing of the deck. 

With no real thaw here this winter, snow depth is around 4'.  Anytime it has gotten above freezing a degree or so, dews remained low with little melt.

There's a "Shinning" type feel to winter now. :D

What have your snow out days been the last few springs?   Also I wonder how much liquid content is in that snow