• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 2020 Discussion

IWXwx

Quite a substantial difference remains between here and MLI, which is only about 25-30 miles.  They hit at least 57, and we hit 46.  Their 57 was only a degree from tying the old record.  

Upper 70s in southern MO, with even a few 80 degree readings just south of the MO border in far northern AR.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Snow pack.  What's that?

Mine just succumbed to the sunny and 51F today. The mix slab lasted 15 days most of which was hostile. This was from the one event that not only fell in a short time, but overnight on a weekend so as not to get all trashed by traffic. Most piles left are of a pure whiteness that's rare around here. Usually all the LES dabs ensure constant salting and whenever there's a melt-off everything turns a nasty grey. This has been unique. Reminds me of my yrs in NMI 

We overperformed here with a non official 61 by 5 degrees (with a feels like temp of 80, I was sweating lol).  We're supposed to "plummet" to 34 tonight, currently 43 then "soar" to 58 tomorrow.  If we can stay sunny tomorrow I'm calling 63.  Regardless took the day off to get some stuff done outside I missed because of "Winterfall".

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Hoosier said:

I know it will turn at some point.  If anything, I may average a little more snow then you do but we are similar at the very least.  Been quite a gradient since last winter though.  I remember you having some lean times prior to last winter.

map_btd.png.249220e329c3d8979fb4e9ffed439784.png

Definitely not mad at cyclone. As I recall he did have quite a few lean years and he may have had a long stretch between 6" snowfalls if I'm not mistaken, though he would certainly be the one to clarify that. After many years of the Eastern sub being the jackpot, they've gotten some love in the Western sub as you can now see.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Yeah last winter was one of my all-time favorites.  Everything seemed to over-perform, and of course we had the all-time record cold.  Had a 6 week down period, but other than that it was fantastic. 

The winter before that we had that awesome late March event that dumped over 10" here, while areas a county to the north got squat.  

Unless the snow completely shuts off we should end up close to average this winter.  The only frustrating thing about this winter is the lack of daytime snows, but that's just being a bit picky.  Also, no warning criteria events, but it's hard to complain about that when folks off to the east are having a horrific winter.  

What are you at on the season? Lol, 2 warning criteria snows here but everything else has been in the T to 1.3" range. 

4 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

What are you at on the season? Lol, 2 warning criteria snows here but everything else has been in the T to 1.3" range. 

23.0", which is pretty decent considering how fickle these systems have been across the sub this winter.  We've had a 5" storm, and a 4" storm (Halloween) so far.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cyclone77 said:

23.0", which is pretty decent considering how fickle these systems have been across the sub this winter.  We've had a 5" storm, and a 4" storm (Halloween) so far.  

Almost a match to me. Im at 22.3". Dont get me wrong, i loved both big storms but i would prefer more evenly distributed. 

IND may get there again today....

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN
0138 AM EST MON FEB 03 2020

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT INDIANAPOLIS IN...

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 63 WAS SET AT INDIANAPOLIS IN YESTERDAY.
THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 61 SET IN 2016.

Kinda surprised at 2 things this morning. Temps did indeed plunge overnight. I questioned the 31F in my grid, yet we did even better getting into the upr 20s with lots of frost and frozen up puddles. The other surprise was how many areas of patchy snow survived the 51F & sunshine, even out in the open farm fields. With plow banks and piles in abundance, it really won't take much fresh snow fall to make it look like mid-winter again. 

5 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

Kinda surprised at 2 things this morning. Temps did indeed plunge overnight. I questioned the 31F in my grid, yet we did even better getting into the upr 20s with lots of frost and frozen up puddles. The other surprise was how many areas of patchy snow survived the 51F & sunshine, even out in the open farm fields. With plow banks and piles in abundance, it really won't take much fresh snow fall to make it look like mid-winter again. 

Here there are lots of piles in parking lots and some elsewhere,  but no patchy snow survived.