• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February/March 2020 Winter's Last Chance Thread

John1122

Would not surprise me to see the precip shut-off suddenly(at some point during the next couple of months...to BN precip for an extended amount time) with La Nina developing soon.  Sounds counter intuitive.  Starting to see some hints on modeling that precip in NE TN is going to be scaled back from what we have been used to.  I think middle areas and western areas of the forum still see quite a bit of rain.   That said, with high pressure building in along the coast we may dry out from the Apps to the coast over the next few weeks.  We will see if this actually happens as it would be a fairly big pattern change here in NE TN.  

• Like 2

On 3/7/2020 at 4:37 PM, Carvers Gap said:

Would not surprise me to see the precip shut-off suddenly(at some point during the next couple of months...to BN precip for an extended amount time) with La Nina developing soon.  Sounds counter intuitive.  Starting to see some hints on modeling that precip in NE TN is going to be scaled back from what we have been used to.  I think middle areas and western areas of the forum still see quite a bit of rain.   That said, with high pressure building in along the coast we may dry out from the Apps to the coast over the next few weeks.  We will see if this actually happens as it would be a fairly big pattern change here in NE TN.  

In Oct the TNI was at -3.0,this is a record,the closest it's been to Oct was back into 2004 when it was -2.7.If i was to draw any analog year for winter,next year, id start with the 2005 winter just because the ENSO could very well match up with this being with 2004-2005,that would be  a starting point anyways

https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/gcos_wgsp/Timeseries/Data/tni.long.data

Climate Prediction Center - ONI.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2020 at 5:37 PM, Carvers Gap said:

LOL.  Nope.

• Haha 1

We had a rainy pattern several years ago like this...seemed like it was every day.  Then, over a one week time frame...it just stopped for months.  Seems like that was in the early 2000s.  The thing is about this forecasted La Nina...we will likely go from feast to famine in a hurry if it develops.  There are two patterns that I really just don't like:  El Nino winters and La Nina summers.  This year, we may manage a Nada(with Nino tendencies) and a La Nina summer.   If there has been a constant(minus that flash drought in NE TN last fall), it has been rain.  I don't have a time table on when this rainy pattern stops, but when it does I think it will be abrupt.  Jeff, I think has mentioned this as well.  Seems like in TN for as long as I can remember, wx patterns have at times made made very quick transitions to nearly the opposite pattern.   Excessive rain and drought are part of our climatology.   I tilled up some new garden space earlier this week.  I needed to add some amendments to the soil like cow manure and sand.  I told myself that I would get the next morning.  Hasn't stopped raining since.  I walked into a store in Johnson City last night(grocery and social distancing) and it felt like something I would expect in coastal Maine.  There was a fine mist blowing on about 15mph winds.   So yeah, my thoughts about a moderating pattern in NE TN are not going to verify.  LOL.  But hey, just part of it.  As Jax noted, the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat.  Very true words in the wx world.   While counter-intuitive, I fully expect to have to water my garden every day in July and August.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic