Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February/March 2020 Winter's Last Chance Thread

John1122

1 hour ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

0z Euro OP looks north for especially the second wave, even some snow into VA, though that could be from a N. steam shortwave trying to hook up with the energy ejecting out of TX:

giphy.gif

6z GFS came north as well.  The 6z GEFS mean has bumped up along the border of AL and TN to around 1.5" of snow.  Let's see if it keeps trending.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chattownsnow said:

Looks a good bit warmer as well. I guess that’s what you have to sacrifice a little in this situation. 

I think the question right now is whether we can get an overrunning event without pushing the cold out of the way.  Have to think it is possible, but is it likely?  Not sure.  Certainly recent trends are brining precip back northward to where it was originally modeled.  One more jog north and we might be tracking something.  Remains to be seen if that happens.  I think we see maybe 1-2 more jogs before it locks in, and then one last jog within 48 hours.  Also, very possible that modeling sees a colder air mass and presses it southward.  Pretty much everything is on the table with this.  LOL.  I suspect it keeps coming north, but will be interesting to watch at 12z and again at 0z tonight.

Looks like the Euro is going to come in about the same as 0z, or maybe a little north, depending on the frame you look at. To my eyes anyway, just not a huge difference. 

But this seems to me to be sort of a hair trigger set up. To get precip you have to have two things, moisture and forcing. 

We have moisture at 500 and 700 mbs:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

But a shortwave cuts off that flow as it swings through:

giphy.gif

Now look how differently the NAM handles that piece:

giphy.gif

The big HP looks like a done deal, we want to root for more return flow and it wouldn't take much given that the flow is basically W to E ahead of it on all models. Maybe there is reason to be hopeful as these shortwaves can sometimes amp up last minute....or at least suppression = more dry out time.

Hopefully we can eek out a few EPS hits. 

18z Euro looking better with the moisture in southern plains:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Looks like a little more SW flow, but its so close. What a weird set up in regards to its details. Lots of lil vorts in the southern stream too. The flow is almost precisely W --> E any variation to either NW or SW could produce very different results. 

29 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

18z Euro looking better with the moisture in southern plains:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Looks like a little more SW flow, but its so close. What a weird set up in regards to its details. Lots of lil vorts in the southern stream too. The flow is almost precisely W --> E any variation to either NW or SW could produce very different results. 

700MB are quite juicy,it's when you get to the 850mb it's quite dry :(

AccuWeather com® Professional - Forecast Models (1).png

• Sad 1

Long range models shows a trough going through East Asia today and another few days later.long range models don't show much right now with the first system which should reach the Valley around the 24th but show the 2nd system as more dominant,not sure that's going to be right but this is what long range is showing

f68ab015-253d-4566-88e2-f28cdf0f7e6d.gif

AccuWeather com® Professional - Forecast Models (4).png

• Thanks 1

Big jump north on the Euro for the system Thursday.  Precip field moved from South of Atlanta at 12z to SW Virgina at 00z. A light stripe of snow falls across a lot of the state early Thursday that run. Will see if this is a trend toward even more moisture for us or not. The HP in Iowa and moisture in Texas is a classic for us normally. 

• Like 2

Just got back from skiing Snowshoe, WV. Talk about lucky/blessed in an otherwise awful winter. Snowed up there Friday and conditions gradually improved with each night of snow-making. Alas, this is my home thread back at 500 FT.

Gut likes Thursday along-north of I-40, plus the Plateau and Mountains. Wait, the GFS/NAM don’t have precip? A risk with such cold dry air. However that solid HP anchors any cold in place; so, it’s of course and overall big plus. ECMWF usually has QPF to/north of I-40; so, I think it looks good (NWP verbatim).

System originates in Texas and slides to our south, my favorite track. Yes basic WAA precip. Should not cut with northern stream pushing (billiard ball meteorology) if the surface high ain’t enough. 700 mb temps look close to ideal. Trouble is boundary layer. Anybody shocked there?

I think I said that before Chattanooga got 4 inches of boundary layer problems. :)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic