• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February/March 2020 Winter's Last Chance Thread

John1122

Only argument I can come up with of the top of my head for sun angle in the first half of Feb would be if the precip shield is more broken..in between bands if the thermal profile is borderline, then it could add just enough heat to the asphalt to cause melt. Shady areas would still stay covered for the most part. Which is what i believe they were alluding too...if models continue to show the snow, i could see them adding some accumulation but mainly on grassy surfaces in the wording. Also, this disturbance is just started appearing on short range models again. So, they are probably wanting to see if they continue the trend or if it was just a blip. Another thing is most AFDs are written close to when the 12z suite is finishing up, so the data from this morning wasn't as good for snow lovers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah that was the laughable part, plus the switch over. Not saying it's not possible, but thos soundings looked fairly decent for temps to hang around 32-33 and dont see any warm nose.

25-27 for my low temp tonight. If snow is falling in those temps with no sun at all today I think snow stick to the roads.

Good example of sun angle was today here...areas below 950' still has a light dusting in shade spots, areas above 950' have between 1" to 3" on the ground. Difference was the thermal layer, above 950' hovered between 32/33, while below was closer to 34/35. Sun angle had little to no effect where the thermal was closer to freezing between snow showers. Also, looks like the Skyway got hammered today. Crazy considering the Tellico River had close to a top 5 crest yesterday and a few mudslides.

• Thanks 1

Yes. I would at the minimum cut this in half. We won't get 10:1 anywhere except the highest elevations.

I disagree. I think mountains will be up to 15-1 with their temps in the low to mid 20’s for highs. That map is for tomorrow morning through early afternoon. While we probably won’t see that much, the point was this mod was much further south its last run.

I think that's another piece of energy that's keeping the one we want to amp up, from amping like some of the models were showing a few days ago. 
giphy.gif&key=9d6661639a9d78cdd402fe8f8e40a848525cd0dc338ffbf52029f30788050235
The northern one is timed just right (our typical luck) to keep the southern one from digging and turning the corner. 

Crap.... I wasn’t looking at it that way. I was thinking it might pull the southern wave NW.

Don't mean to take away yalls winter talk in the East.But looking at the upcoming pattern seems like another potential robust KW might pass through just like the last one towards the middle of the month,maybe we can get another shot of winter if we don't drown.The MJO seriously looks like it's going to get stuck around   East of the IDL,and should go back into COD unlike what the GEFS is showing

Tropical Monitoring    North Carolina Institute for Climate Studies.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TellicoWx said:

Not what you wanna see right now after the last day or so...18z GFS

20200207_181103.jpg

Can I cut this one in half? Or maybe thirds?

I’ve reached 32 IMBY with broken clouds overhead. I’m not usually a big believer in radiational cooling before a precipitation event, but after 5 years of whiffs I’ll take what I can get. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dwagner88 said:

Can I cut this one in half? Or maybe thirds?

I’ve reached 32 IMBY with broken clouds overhead. I’m not usually a big believer in radiational cooling before a precipitation event, but after 5 years of whiffs I’ll take what I can get. 

I would gladly cut it to a 1/10 at this point lol. Yeah it seems like it's been a bad stretch here in SE TN for awhile now. I think cutting the earlier snow totals fits well with all the combined model guidance, but mainly because the best FGEN forcing and lift passes too far south. Best outcome would be around an inch for McMinn/Monroe, with the border counties along TN/GA closer to 2".

Reading the discussions from Peachtree City they seem to be holding firm on their belief of 2" snow accumulation in N. Georgia, including areas at or near the border around Chattanooga. I would really love a surprise around here, even it it does melt

off by the afternoon. We'll know something in about 9 hours or so. We can always hope and just see what happens. We moved into our new house in Ooltewah in June 2016. In that time we have had a combined total of just under 1/2" of snow. Yes, less than 1/2" of snow in 3 1/2 years. . I just want to see some white ground cover at our house. We managed a slight dusting twice on the cold hood of our vehicle.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic