Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February/March 2020 Winter's Last Chance Thread

John1122

8 minutes ago, weathertree4u said:

Possible impact end February? 

Judah Cohen, despite all his hype and attempts to use twitter for a variety of ends, shared some research yesterday that is helpful:

Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 7.38.51 AM

The projected displacement puts us in cluster 2 and at least gets us close to cluster 4 which would be ideal. I'd like to see all this within like 3 days at this point, but all models are at least consistent showing that it will get displaced our way. That seems more reasonable than a split with how strong this SPV has been and probably the best we can hope for. 

No clue how quick it would respond for us, even if we get the best case scenario, but at least the cold air is on our side of the globe for once at high latitudes, so we could be getting a lot worse looks at long range right now. Even the cluster 2 and EPS over night look zonal and would get us out of this flood pattern. 

• Like 1

Just now, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Judah Cohen, despite all his hype and attempts to use twitter for a variety of ends, shared some research yesterday that is helpful:

Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 7.38.51 AM

The projected displacement puts us in cluster 2 and at least gets us close to cluster 4 which would be ideal. I'd like to see all this within like 3 days at this point, but all models are at least consistent showing that it will get displaced our way. That seems more reasonable than a split with how strong this SPV has been and probably the best we can hope for. 

No clue how quick it would respond for us, even if we get the best case scenario, but at least the cold air is on our side of the globe for once at high latitudes, so we could be getting a lot worse looks at long range right now. Even the cluster 2 and EPS over night look zonal and would get us out of this flood pattern. 

So, what you are saying is the cluster continues 

Probably a good bet to expect stuff to go wrong, given how things have been this year, sadly, not even sure I will do well. @Kentucky looks pretty good and as of now and I will say that just went outside and the temp has started to drop, rain has ended and the wind is howling in the trees. Big difference in only 30 minutes when I got back from my ramble out to the Obed. 

Let's see if the CMC follows what the GFS just did.  This trend began at 0z on both the GFS and CMC, but have been waiting to see if the operationals doubled down at 12z . The CMC was cold at 0z late in the run.  And we all know the rules...so I don't have to restate them.  We will watch the 12z suite and see if the Euro shows any hint of support.  Just a little surprised to see modeling flipping around well inside of d10.  It it isn't real, we just get a good laugh.  

The best I can tell is that there are hints of a PNA ridge and the EPO is in tighter.  This forces the trough out of the West and creates a more progressive pattern where there are troughs in the East.  Guessing something inputed(model data) has changed something on those two models.  I don't bite on (edit..lol)one off model runs, but I do take notice.   The 12z CMC and GFS are not that different at all.

• Like 1

So far, the 12z ICON, GFS, and CMC are singing the same tune.  Looks like a cold front of some sort is being picked-up around the 14th.  Only thing I can possibly assume is that something has changed with the MJO.  It is definitely different on the ECMF which is making a bee line to 7 before fading off late.  Keep in mind, that model was in the COD prior or low amp.  If the high amplitude GEFS is in "half right" as the Euro has caved there...maybe modeling is seeing the MJO move out of 6 quicker?  That just doesn't account for the flip early in the run.  Maybe just be three models making a hiccup....If the MJO is not going to stay in warmer phases longer...the EPO might hold in place?

• Like 1

12z GEFS obviously won't flip like the GFS(basically two different models), but there are new features on that 12z GEFS run.   A stout PNA ridge  has formed post 300 w a trough plopped right over the Aleutians.  Like I said, not sure what has changed, but there is definitely something different so far.  I do not look for the Euro/EPS to change quickly if at all.  Like I said, it corners slowly.  If something is truly afoot, one would likely see it change over several runs in small increments.  

But overall, pretty shocking to see a model flip like the 12z GFS just did...basically wall-to-wall eastern troughs.  At this point, I can't completely toss it since it has support from other operationals and some support at the surface on the GEFS and at 500 after 300 hours.  Trust me, I would like to toss it...just not yet.  Right now, I consider this a one-off suite of runs...but will keep watching.  Would not be the first time modeling has flipped like this...usually it is from a great pattern to one that stinks.  So for now, it is an anomaly.

• Thanks 1

Good news for the Plateau, Mountains, and maybe Nashville. Both waves appear to be night and morning timing now. Gosh, when did snow forecasting get as diurnal as severe forecasting? Anyway seems like a dusting to half inch along and north of I-40, except that ends on the Plateau (inclusive of course).

Upper Plateau and into Kentucky looks like 1-2 inches, locally more Plateau. 

Bad news: Great Valley boundary layer is still a no-go. Even Nashville looks better than TYS and MRX. I have trouble taking out TRI, but the models are not friendly.

Tonight looks like cyclonic flow plus short-wave hybrid, decent moisture left over. Friday night and Saturday morning looks less juicy now. Southern Apps may get their turn though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Carvers Gap said:

12z GEFS obviously won't flip like the GFS(basically two different models), but there are new features on that 12z GEFS run.   A stout PNA ridge  has formed post 300 w a trough plopped right over the Aleutians.  Like I said, not sure what has changed, but there is definitely something different so far.  I do not look for the Euro/EPS to change quickly if at all.  Like I said, it corners slowly.  If something is truly afoot, one would likely see it change over several runs in small increments.  

But overall, pretty shocking to see a model flip like the 12z GFS just did...basically wall-to-wall eastern troughs.  At this point, I can't completely toss it since it has support from other operationals and some support at the surface on the GEFS and at 500 after 300 hours.  Trust me, I would like to toss it...just not yet.  Right now, I consider this a one-off suite of runs...but will keep watching.  Would not be the first time modeling has flipped like this...usually it is from a great pattern to one that stinks.  So for now, it is an anomaly.

That's a big move towards a western ridge on the 12z gets. The 6a had hints of it earlier.  Hopefully this is correct. 

• Like 1

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic