• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

41 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Hah. I grew up in Lancaster County, PA...very similar climate to yours in NJ. I am traumatized for life. :P

In the early 2000s taught at Manheim Township just north of Lancaster.  I lived in Hershey.  A lot of cold rain.  Though...maybe 2004 we did get about 36 inches in back to back storms that were forecast for half or less than that.  Got the entire season average in 3 days.

Winter is much more enjoyable here.

• Like 1

Just now, SpreadsheetGuy said:

In the early 2000s taught at Manheim Township just north of Lancaster.  I lived in Hershey.  A lot of cold rain.  Though...maybe 2004 we did get about 36 inches in back to back storms that were forecast for half or less than that.  Got the entire season average in 3 days.

Winter is much more enjoyable here.

For sure. This winter has brought back some memories of waiting weeks for any winter time fun like that in Lancaster.

Graduated from Penn Manor in 2000. Best winter storm I have ever experienced (even to this day) was the Blizzard of 96 in Lancaster. 36 inches in a day and a half.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

For sure. This winter has brought back some memories of waiting weeks for any winter time fun like that in Lancaster.

Graduated from Penn Manor in 2000. Best winter storm I have ever experienced (even to this day) was the Blizzard of 96 in Lancaster. 36 inches in a day and a half.

I was still in high school on Long Island in 96.  We got 30 inches if I recall.  It all or none down there.  You can go years without a good snow storm.  And you don't get the regular touch up snow you get here.

...but every so many years, you can get dumped on.  Proximity to the ocean is a great moisture source when things line up just right.

Up here you don't need everything to line up perfectly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ottawa Blizzard said:

I'm telling you it's like what I've read about the great leap year storm of February 1984. Not sure if anyone here is old enough to remember it - I was 3 going on 4.

Just read up on that one in the blizzard book.  Sounds like a similar type storm to what we could see.  Huge dump of synoptic snow from Ohio up through WNY.  Author stated Lake Erie was mainly open for that storm and a SW flow off the lake lead to significant enhancement of the snow over WNY.  28” at KBUF over a 48 hour period.  19.4” of that fell in 24 hours and I believe still holds the #10 spot for most snowfall in 24 hours.  Highest synoptic storm on the list.   As the storm pulled away we saw a lengthy period of strong NW winds drifting the huge snowfall.  11 people died in Buffalo during that storm.

07607CB3-B431-4F42-9B2E-7F4C79DDD66B.jpeg

12 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Just read up on that one in the blizzard book.  Sounds like a similar type storm to what we could see.  Huge dump of synoptic snow from Ohio up through WNY.  Author stated Lake Erie was mainly open for that storm and a SW flow off the lake lead to significant enhancement of the snow over WNY.  28” at KBUF over a 48 hour period.  19.4” of that fell in 24 hours and I believe still holds the #10 spot for most snowfall in 24 hours.  Highest synoptic storm on the list.   As the storm pulled away we saw a lengthy period of strong NW winds drifting the huge snowfall.  11 people died in Buffalo during that storm.

07607CB3-B431-4F42-9B2E-7F4C79DDD66B.jpeg

Hmm Feb 84 was a traditional synoptic storm with LO enhancement in northerly flow. No enhancement from the SW. 

I'd probably consider it BUF's largest synoptic storm. 

022912.png

2 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

I'd keep expectations in check for the Niagara frontier. Doesn't scream a really big one to me. Dont fall for bad gfs runs. 

What's your definition of a really big one??? 1 foot? 2 foot? We had 11" from synoptic in November and to me at least that's not a really big one. I kinda expecting about a foot from tomorrow night to Saturday morning with Thursday and Thursday night in a dry period...your thoughts?

21 hours ago, Syrmax said:

We need a Spring thread.  Winter and snow is about over. Maybe about 50 acres of Tug hill and Chautaqua ridge see measurable snow from here on out but that's about it. Its loser central to expect much else.

Most of my top 10 largest synoptic storms from my entire life in Upstate NY came in the month of March.  I agree the season is more or less over, but March is the king of truly monstrous storms.  Don't count her out.  

• Like 2

On 2/26/2020 at 2:05 AM, Syrmax said:

We need a Spring thread.  Winter and snow is about over. Maybe about 50 acres of Tug hill and Chautaqua ridge see measurable snow from here on out but that's about it. Its loser central to expect much else.

Syracuse still received over 70 inches. I would be happy if I even got half of that amount.