• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

I think why many think this winter is so bad is because of all the failures that have occurred. Other winters have obviously been worse. This one, though, has sucked us in with lots of possibilities...with most of them being disappointments. i.e last night's failure.

One positive is all the mixes/ice/thawing and freezing have helped to maintain a snowpack for much of the winter...at least in this area.

It's because of the complete lack of lake effect this year. I don't remember it ever being this bad, even in 2011-12 there were a couple LES advisory hits for the Buffalo area. Synoptically, it's been very active for the Buffalo area.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

I think why many think this winter is so bad is because of all the failures that have occurred. Other winters have obviously been worse. This one, though, has sucked us in with lots of possibilities...with most of them being disappointments. i.e last night's failure.

One positive is all the mixes/ice/thawing and freezing have helped to maintain a snowpack for much of the winter...at least in this area.

I'll go with this.  Much promise, especially with an early cold shot in November and good looking LR teles…  Then mirage snow oasis kept showing up on the LR and medium range modeling only to cut or vaporize.  The models have been terrible for the US which just adds to the frustration for snow lovers.

I never say this but lets get right to spring.  The last thing I want is for this wound to fester through April.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Leelee said:

It's because of the complete lack of lake effect this year. I don't remember it ever being this bad, even in 2011-12 there were a couple LES advisory hits for the Buffalo area. Synoptically, it's been very active for the Buffalo area.

100% the worst lake effect year in my lifetime and as lake effect is my favorite part of winter a big F- grade this year. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, cleetussnow said:

I'll go with this.  Much promise, especially with an early cold shot in November and good looking LR teles…  Then mirage snow oasis kept showing up on the LR and medium range modeling only to cut or vaporize.  The models have been terrible for the US which just adds to the frustration for snow lovers.

I never say this but lets get right to spring.  The last thing I want is for this wound to fester through April.

The long range has strung the entire forum along all year with MJO changing (but never changing), the AO changing (stayed positive all winter), the Alaskan vortex moving ( never moved), etc.... If you look at the long range now, late February looks pretty solid right now for some consistent winter weather, will probably be 50 and sunny by then. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, vortmax said:

I'm kinda surprised that BUF doesn't have an advisory out for the LO border counties.

For the area southeast of
Lake Ontario, pretty similar setup, though convergence persists a
little longer (02z-09z) and moisture to H85 persists through late
tonight. Isold totals tonight could reach 5 inches as there may be a
few hours where up to 1 inch per hour may occur. Attm though, too
minimal area will be impacted by more than 4 inches to issue an
advisory. Will mention snowfall for both areas in the Hazardous
Weather Outlook

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Over 4" for this "event" so far. Snow depth is around 6" throughout the yard and its pure cement/ice.

Rochester has probably had the "best" lake effect this year of any of the big cities. The NNW winds have been the only reliable wind direction it seems..

4 inches on this event??!? You seem to be outdoing the Syracuse area by far with almost every system.

Syracuse has had most of our snowfall come with "events" about every 3 weeks.

1 hour ago, TugHillMatt said:

Rochester has probably had the "best" lake effect this year of any of the big cities. The NNW winds have been the only reliable wind direction it seems..

4 inches on this event??!? You seem to be outdoing the Syracuse area by far with almost every system.

Syracuse has had most of our snowfall come with "events" about every 3 weeks.

Yeah have been doing pretty decent last 10 days or so.  Places just to my SE have been doing a lot better, but that happens every year. Elevation has been key this year though.

The highest totals off of Erie are Perrysburg at 134.5", Ellicottville at 137", and Springville at 129.3" . I think Erie is beating Ontario this year. What is Redfield at @wolfie09