• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 2020 General Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

February is looking entirely different than January. First it looks very active January was very dry secondly the negative EPO is going to allow for cold air to be close by so I think we're going to time one of these waves or maybe two during the first half of the month but we shall see you can also add in the mjo at least during in the first week should be in the c o d and not in any Amplified warm phase

38 minutes ago, binbisso said:

Yes the third wave is very warm on the UK and we all know the GFS is not all snow there's a lot of sleet and freezing rain on their snowfall Maps

No surprise, but the Euro looks nothing at all like the GFS and has wave 3 as a lakes cutter. The GFS is in a world all onto its own, huge outlier

12 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

No surprise, but the Euro looks nothing at all like the GFS and has wave 3 as a lakes cutter. The GFS is in a world all onto its own, huge outlier

The euro is similar to the UK it drops several inches of snow with the second wave before we torch and rain with the third wave. The trend has been for the cold to press Southward and the trough to be flatter and more positively tilted let's see if that can continue with the third wave

2 minutes ago, binbisso said:

The euro is similar to the UK it drops several inches of snow with the second wave before we torch and rain with the third wave. The trend has been for the cold to press Southward and the trough to be flatter and more positively tilted let's see if that can continue with the third wave

Do you have a clownmap

5 minutes ago, binbisso said:

Yeah but I have to figure out how to post them on here anyway go to pivotal weather and click on high-res euro zoom into the Northeast click on winter weather and then click on total accumulated snowfall

It’s got snow for tonight too. especially up in the suburbs

26208FB5-BD72-4DBC-8E67-FEDF55F97009.png

“Models have been terrible.” “Did you X model has snow in 6-10 days!” 5 days later as everything shows rain and 40s:  “I’ll wait until the storm is within 24 hours to get excited.” One hour later “did you see a coastal on the model for 8 days from now?” 

Remember there is more to a forecast than looking at models. Teleconnections don’t look great at all, but we’ll see. I won’t be excited until literally 36 hours out for any threat this year. 

10 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Per Eric Fisher, what the Euro shows is not snow, p-type algorithm issues: https://twitter.com/ericfisher/status/1223691070904639488?s=20

Not snow where? Big difference between NYC, Long Island and 50 miles N and W in HV. Listening to you I should have 2 inches so far, yet I have 17.5 this season. 

• Like 4
  • Weenie 1

8 hours ago, CIK62 said:

The next 8 days are averaging 44degs., or 11degs.AN.

42* here at 6am.        44* by Noon.

The first 17 days of February(06Z,GFS) are averaging 41degs., or 7degs. AN with No Snow.       Always cold at tail end which now has slipped forward a few days already as I follow this debacle.

Anyone know how Moscow ended up for January?      December was +14, apparently and January seemed even warmer 10 days ago.     Looks like they have about 1 BN day themselves over the next 15 (Feb. 7,8).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

THANKS FOR THE LINK.      ALSO GOOD PRACTICE FOR MY RUSSIAN PROFICIENCY.      STUDIED IN COLLEGE A LONG TIME AGO AND ACTUALLY HAVE KEPT UP WITH IT.   MY PROFESSOR WOULD BE PROUD.        btw:  The 12Z, GFS is down to an Avg. of 37 over the next 17 days with 9" of snow near the 14th.

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, sussexcountyobs said:

Okay. Temperature records both high and low at different locations around the globe are set almost everyday. Monthly record averages at any particular location, high or low are set all over the world, each month. So, what is your point? 

22 minutes ago, sussexcountyobs said:

"First time in recorded history that January's average temperature was above freezing"

Key word there, is in RECORDED history. What was the average temperature in what is now Moscow, in January in 429 AD?

Why does it bother you so much when I post a reply to a question asked earlier in the thread? 

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Why does it bother you so much when I post a reply to a question asked earlier in the thread? 

Not at all. Has nothing to do with you. Just couldn't find the original post I guess to reply to. It's all good. I love reading your posts. Very informative,  and I learn alot from you.

43 minutes ago, sussexcountyobs said:

"First time in recorded history that January's average temperature was above freezing"

Key word there, is in RECORDED history. What was the average temperature in what is now Moscow, in January in 429 AD?

200 years of record keeping still makes it notable, regardless of what may have happened before.  

• Like 2