Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb To Forget? - 2020 Discussion

TalcottWx

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Legs are growing. 

We might finally be onto something...every model has had something now for a few days, hit or miss the players are still there. The ensembles are coming around and we are in the 6-8 day range. What do you say, 10-20% of some sort of impact along the east coast at this point?

6 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

We might finally be onto something...every model has had something now for a few days, hit or miss the players are still there. The ensembles are coming around and we are in the 6-8 day range. What do you say, 10-20% of some sort of impact along the east coast at this point?

I’m closer to 50% that it snows for someone here. Take all guidance and factor in the KWS ‘rains for everyone’ output...usually a good sign it’s coming.

7 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

Lol at the GFS past 300 hr, maybe winter does come back with a vengeance? Is it too much to ask for the CMC to verify first, then follow it with the GFS storm after 300?

Nope ...

That's the short answer :)

But the prudent question really should be...is it realistic to expect any of it to happen - haha.  To witch, we know the answer to that question; we just hedge bets and rationalisms much of the time in trying to will certain results into existence.

All humor has a modicum of truth to it. 

Fact of the matter is, the models typically do not cast depictions that are "physically impossible" ? 

If so, that wouldn't be a very confident forecast model, would it.  This facet is sort of baked in, yup ..but it's why folks' will come back at 6 to see the 18z version - ...hopes dashed as they typically are...Or, re-enforced...etc... Unfortunately, the atmospheric dynamo out in time is one that has factors of fractals to it's behavior, with non-present variables that are destined to emerge in time to alter outcomes.  That's the only reason why a D8 Euro bomb fails.  It's probably withing plausibility but the model corrected where it shouldn't, and/or something reared along the way to change things - but it was not originally impossible.

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

Nope ...

But the prudent question really should be...is it realistic to expect any of it to happen - haha.  To witch we know the answer while hedging bets and rationalisms much of the time in trying to will certain results into existence.

Fact of the matter is, the models typically do not cast depictions that are "physically impossible" ? 

If so, that wouldn't be a very confident forecast model, would it.  This facet is sort of baked in, yup ..but it's why folks' will come back at 6 to see the 18z version - ...hopes dashed as they typically are...Or, re-enforced...etc...

We can always count on you to avoid the short answer lol

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

We can always count on you to avoid the short answer lol

Ha ha ... Hey I gave it up - "nope"

but couldn't resist...

That thing out at at 300 + is about 50% toward a 1993 analog just from orbit btw - that oughta get some hopes unwarranted -

10 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Nope ...

But the prudent question really should be...is it realistic to expect any of it to happen - haha.  To witch, we know the answer to that question; we just hedge bets and rationalisms much of the time in trying to will certain results into existence.

If so, that wouldn't be a very confident forecast model, would it.  This facet is sort of baked in, yup ..but it's why folks' will come back at 6 to see the 18z version - ...hopes dashed as they typically are...Or, re-enforced...etc...

Oh of course, playing the odds, probably well below 1%....This is what creates the so called addiction to weather modeling, the Euro ensembles are complete and everyone is silently needing the 18z stuff to start asap, winter time specifically.

33 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

I'd be cautious. Most models agreed on 6+ snows for us 3 days ago. We all know how that went... 

• Like 2

I like this GEFs spread on the western side there...

Man, some deep members in there, too - phew.   I'd have to say, overall this looks like more members on board compared to the 06z ...

image.thumb.png.d0fcd308364f7a741c72694f9136c2c6.png

But this all d7.5+ it's tough.   I maintain that these can only still implicate a time frame of interest - can't stress enough.   I suspect Wed would be the thread fire off time if one is need. Ha

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I like this GEFs spread on the western side there...

Man, some deep members in there, too - phew.   I'd have to say, overall this looks like more members on board compared to the 06z ...

But this all d7.5+ it's tough.   I maintain that these can only still implicate a time frame of interest - can't stress enough.   I suspect Wed would be the thread fire off time if one is need. Ha

It appears 12Z GEFS trended further east but like you said there is good spread on the western side of that low which could imply a shift back west. I feel ashamed even dissecting this storm so far out due to the looming uncertainty. Just shows how little there is to talk about weather-wise.

• Like 1