Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb To Forget? - 2020 Discussion

TalcottWx

36 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ha, Brian’s older than me I think?  Maybe by a couple years?  I know I’m a few behind Will and Scooter.  

I mean I’m talking cold though.  Like dry highs in the single digits and lows below zero which is what mid winter can be like for weeks on end.  

I just think running errands, skiing, being outside, it’s so much nicer at 35F.  

Im starting to come around to that way of thinking but didn't want to say it out loud, thought I'd get roasted, of course I'm much older than all you guys and just started feeling like this last couple of years. Wouldn't mind a 12-18 incher at below 0 like Alaska has right now though.

7 minutes ago, Dr. Dews said:

The good news, a few more short weeks and it'll be lawn and temp talk

Skiing continues for me into April on man-made snow. My last day last season was on April 12th at Stratton with frozen groomer. Full sunshine and temperatures around freezing. My son's last day was June 1st at Killington.

I'm looking forward to Summer and swimming in lake Mattawa with my son. Maybe some kayaking.

4 minutes ago, cleetussnow said:

cold is close through all the frames at least.  Maybe a good presidents week for skiiing

Tons of cold just north....it's a classic gradient pattern. Hopefully it breaks our way, and certainly breaks NNE's way for good skiing.

11 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

EPS keeping the general pattern the same going forward with the gradient look....massive EPO ridging but also a monster +AO and SE ridge. Very active look....there will be a lot of chances and plenty of cold up in the source region. It's going to be about getting lucky on the timing of confluence, etc.

Besides a colder Canada and the epo ridging, not much different of a look than now. Though that difference could be enough to bring actual winter wx back.

32 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Tons of cold just north....it's a classic gradient pattern. Hopefully it breaks our way, and certainly breaks NNE's way for good skiing.

Running out that EPS run, it looked pretty damn active and snowy for New England as the gradient looked to be situated in the NYC area.  No shortage of waves moving through that flow either. 

10 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

They were gradient. 50 miles means everything. I didn’t see them as bad in New England. 

Yeah they are garbage for the midatlantic but actually not bad for New England. Plenty of cold nearby. It’s classic gradient. Everyone here should know it by now...sometimes you get hammered for a while and sometimes you can’t catch a break. 

20 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

Depends on where you live the 3rd and 4th weeks of Feb look interesting up here.

probably north and west for the majority of that period, even up there in CNE. Without a -NAO and the western US trough/pac ridge out west, there's not much help keeping CO lows from marching ene across the lakes or at best up the apps. I could be wrong but that's how it looks. Over runners could net gain..

3 minutes ago, Dr. Dews said:

probably north and west for the majority of that period, even up there in CNE. Without a -NAO and the western US trough/pac ridge out west, there's not much help keeping CO lows from marching ene across the lakes or at best up the apps. I could be wrong but that's how it looks 

Consistent strong BN heights just N of us throughout that period. With the -PNA it’s lots of cutters and SWFEs. The devil is in the deets. Of course the trend lately has been for the cutters to overwhelm us with the warm sector, but it could go the other way this time too if we can get some good highs and confluence in QB. We’ll see. Warm colors over us at H5 don’t always mean skipping through the tulips.

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Consistent strong BN heights just N of us throughout that period. With the -PNA it’s lots of cutters and SWFEs. The devil is in the deets. Of course the trend lately has been for the cutters to overwhelm us with the warm sector, but it could go the other way this time too if we can get some good highs and confluence in QB. We’ll see. Warm colors over us at H5 don’t always mean skipping through the tulips.

Agree, yes after a couple years of doing this I know about the pretty 5h colors...heh. I am not saying it'll be a disaster, or even the EPS look that way, they don't...unless you're in like DC or something