Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb To Forget? - 2020 Discussion

TalcottWx

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That to me is a very New England thing, even more SNE than anything.  I think of Woodstock, CT when I think of rock walls.  They border like every property.

I am surprised I didn't think of that. The rockwalls were one of the first things I noticed when I moved up here, they are everywhere! They definitely made me feel like I was in New England, especially once you get north of 84, into Roxbury/Bridgewater area. 

42 minutes ago, BombsAway1288 said:

It does, even the NYC CT suburbs closer to NYC (Darien, New Canaan etc..) have much more of a NE feel than the NYC NJ suburbs. Especially the heavily wooded areas. Lots of old time NE there.

Reminds me of the Metrowest suburbs around here, just with bigger homes there. Idk, maybe it's all the rockwalls

35 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

It’s a new england vibe from architecture, culture, topography, and climate but geographically I still consider us a far northern burb of nyc. Danbury has a big population that works in the city and being in the same nws coverage area or a NYC sports fan also causes me to lean my thinking a bit more. But, it’s close imo.

7 minutes ago, Minenfeld! said:

Yeah we're like 40-45" average yearly. It's definitely New England, but it feels different than the rest of the state. At least to me. And the commuter patterns include the city and NY transplants. NYC Metro includes Fairfield County and sometimes New Haven County in the more ambitious maps.

Definitely hybridized around here...SWSNE, maybe we need our own subforum? :whistle: 

Sorry to further derail the February discussion, back to the weather....

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

Did some reading....gonna postpone the driveway work until spring.  First bona fide wintry week Wednesday on in quite awhile on the way.

Good call - paving should not be done this time of year unless it is an emergency.  I have been a pavement materials engineer for just about 25 years and rarely does anything good come from work done this time of year.  Unlike concrete, there are very few things that can be done with asphalt to make it work this time of year.

Now back to this week's weather mashup - with what will hopefully be a better outcome!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, weathafella said:

Did some reading....gonna postpone the driveway work until spring.  First bona fide wintry week Wednesday on in quite awhile on the way.

Yea asphalt paving is one part of my business....we usually stop all residential work by November as temps drop, too difficult if not impossible to do a quality job especially in a residential situation where the finish is key. Commercial work is different as it is usually two course so the first layer can be put down in less then perfect conditions.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

That's about the same snow as sites in the Jersey Highlands 25-50 miles west of NYC, but many of that area's residents work much closer to Gotham, so culturally the vibe is NYC/Jersey.

I live in this area and the weather is much different than the NYC metro,.  The Danbury area averages much more snowfall that 25-50 miles West of NYC.. This is the map from NWS UPTON NY, seasonal snowfall average.  You have to go well north and west of the city 75+ miles to get the same snow climo. 

image.png.0a35436cecba5a265ed78d4559ac39bc.png

• Weenie 1

6 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

I live in this area and its not even close.  The Danbury area averages much more snowfall that 25-50 miles West of NYC.. This is the map from NWS UPTON NY, seasonal snowfall average. 

I was just thinking I’m pretty sure Northern Fairfield County averages a wee bit more snow than the highlands west of NYC

ICON always does this… Notice the big gap opening up over Western mass eastern New York north or south eastern PA at 120 hours? That whole region in there is cold air dammed and it’s like the model can’t resolve that so it splits the QPF in half and kind of mangles the low in that region.  

51 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

No you guys weren’t discussing why the UK was an unlikely solution...just grousing as usual, which was unlikely reasoning point ...so welcome to lucidity wise ass LOL

That didn’t happen outside of your mind I think.  I didn’t see anyone grousing that it was unlikely. 

3 hours ago, weathafella said:

26 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I was going to comment before but had to leave. Good idea

I think he just jinxed it, no pun intended. 

6 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

ICON always does this… Notice the big gap opening up over Western mass eastern New York north or south eastern PA at 120 hours? That whole region in there is cold air dammed and it’s like the model can’t resolve that so it splits the QPF in half and kind of mangles the low in that region.  

Good catch, if I recall the icon was not great with earlier overunning events/CAD.

edit:  for my area (W MA)

7 minutes ago, weathafella said:

That didn’t happen outside of your mind I think.  I didn’t see anyone grousing that it was unlikely. 

Nah you read that reply improperly too

Explained why UK was unlikely I didn’t see that in any of your previous posts when you guys were bantering discussing that specific point. A point u missed when you were wise assing. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

This is gonna be a fun week

there will be melts and where that boundary establishes itself will be key 

I give this week the best shot of scooter melting and probably Rev as well

i like my Spot relative to SNE but if that boundary shifts north were all sipping tropical drinks as somewhere north of boundary is icy and snowy 

4 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

This is gonna be a fun week

there will be melts and where that boundary establishes itself will be key 

I give this week the best shot of scooter melting and probably Rev as well

i like my Spot relative to SNE but if that boundary shifts north were all sipping tropical drinks as somewhere north of boundary is icy and snowy 

Yea, I'll take my chances.

26 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Nah you read that reply improperly too

Explained why UK was unlikely I didn’t see that in any of your previous posts when you guys were bantering discussing that specific point. A point u missed when you were wise assing.

John, we’ve met face to face.  You seem like a good guy.  But you come off as a supercilious dick on these forums more often than not.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1