Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 25-26 Threat

HoarfrostHubb

13 hours ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

Ice fishing we have as well as limited snowmobiling on some DEEP land. But it's definitely more reliable further north. I used to rent sleds in Maine around the Stratton area. Also rented in the Whiteface area.

Have CT ponds held safe ice much this season?  Saw FB video of foxes on thin black ice at the NNJ pond where I ice-fished (open water too, of course) hundreds of times.  3rd time that place has iced over, and I don't think it's been thick enough to be safe more than a few days.  Ice fishing season there was Jan. 1 thru mid Feb, and except for one winter (64-65) when post-Christmas 60s wrecked things, there was always safe ice on Jan. 1 and usually thru the Feb. closure date.

Yesterday I was hearing forecasts of a foot or more for the foothills.  This morning GYX thinks 4-7" of low-ratio stuff for the mts and mix'n'mess for MBY.  Slight change, eh?

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Have CT ponds held safe ice much this season?  Saw FB video of foxes on thin black ice at the NNJ pond where I ice-fished (open water too, of course) hundreds of times.  3rd time that place has iced over, and I don't think it's been thick enough to be safe more than a few days.  Ice fishing season there was Jan. 1 thru mid Feb, and except for one winter (64-65) when post-Christmas 60s wrecked things, there was always safe ice on Jan. 1 and usually thru the Feb. closure date.

Yesterday I was hearing forecasts of a foot or more for the foothills.  This morning GYX thinks 4-7" of low-ratio stuff for the mts and mix'n'mess for MBY.  Slight change, eh?

At one point they were in December.  I know I saw people ice fishing at one point last month.  I haven't been by too many places lately since it's been colder but I would think people are out there now again.

18 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I think anywhere in western Maine is going to be overrun with sleds because of proximity to NH.  Many people from further away from the state line that I have talked to over the years at the snowmobile show haven't even been all that aware there is an open weekend.  I'd probably want to get to at least Millinocket.  I haven't been that far up.  I'm still unsure whether we are going to do it though. 

Maybe Greenville? Might be far enough from NH to reduce the mobs.  Ride from town up to Pittston Farm for lunch then complete the Moosehead circumnavigation.

Yeah we’re not going to lose much pack in the foothills. This’ll just be a cold rain that gets absorbed in or soaks down underneath. 

Would settle my 14-15" to 10 or so - with probably 4" LE.

Just now, dendrite said:

Yeah we’re not going to lose much pack in the foothills. This’ll just be a cold rain that gets absorbed in or soaks down underneath. 

Putrid system...even interior SNE (at last N of pike/495) prob doesn't lose it either....it's like 35-38F rain. But I'd almost rather wipe it clean...it's the type where there will be ice and other slushy garbage all over the place afterward.

Well I had to strike out sometime.  I did way too well last year, had to make up for it at some point.  I had this thurs- mon off for a failed tahoe trip and it just happened this storm popped up so it's no big loss to me.  Still gonna come up and get some riding in with friends.  Thinking the whites have the best chance to stay all frozen at elevation.  I would just go up to Quebec city but my buddy doesn't have a passport.  Maybe I'll leave him at the border.  Thanks for all your insight guys. 

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

I think anywhere in western Maine is going to be overrun with sleds because of proximity to NH.  Many people from further away from the state line that I have talked to over the years at the snowmobile show haven't even been all that aware there is an open weekend.  I'd probably want to get to at least Millinocket.  I haven't been that far up.  I'm still unsure whether we are going to do it though. 

I just made the executive decision that i'm heading to Eustis Saturday and riding over to Lake Parlin.

11 hours ago, dendrite said:

It’ll be a net gain in LE in the snow pack...and it could still be a net gain if the back end snow works out.  We just need to wait till the flow turns westerly and take our chances.