Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 25-26 Threat

HoarfrostHubb

7 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Lots of discussion on that in here

Ha yeah now I'm reading up.  Those WSI maps look like terrible resolution... yeesh. 

Then again maybe we are spoiled with maps that show these little couplets of upslope cooling to -0.5C and then downslope to 0.5C on every axis of terrain.  It still amazes me that the models can see easterly flow and cool a pocket on the east slopes or the same with westerly flow in the other direction.  Just these little things that maps like the WSI one will never be able to handle.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ha yeah now I'm reading up.  Those WSI maps look like terrible resolution... yeesh. 

Then again maybe we are spoiled with maps that show these little couplets of upslope cooling to -0.5C and then downslope to 0.5C on every axis of terrain.

Yeah normally you don't need to worry about those little nuances. They rarely matter but on a verbatim solution like that they might. 

But don't worry, it won't matter in another couple cycles. They had dendrite-raised fried chicken for lunch and now they are coming to Stowe to go pond skimming next. We're gonna get this ULL north of Lake Ontario. 

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

We have the same high resolution. On some model lab sites it’s the standard res. They work fine overall though. I’ve never had an issue.

Yeah it's just the high res maps show why the model soundings are showing snow at times.  Pounding isothermal 0C to -1C while the coarse maps may have it above 0C.

ecmwf-deterministic-neng-t850-9996800.thumb.png.a3b063daca161eff4c744764c3f22dce.png

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah normally you don't need to worry about those little nuances. They rarely matter but on a verbatim solution like that they might. 

But don't worry, it won't matter in another couple cycles. They had dendrite-raised fried chicken for lunch and now they are coming to Stowe to go pond skimming next. We're gonna get this ULL north of Lake Ontario. 

Ok Kevin

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Ha yeah I mean I haven't been very excited on this one... we've been between the forcing (NNY and then the WCB along the coast) on every single model run.  Even the snowiest runs looked like half an inch of QPF, lol. 

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ha yeah I mean I haven't been very excited on this one... we've been between the forcing (NNY and then the WCB along the coast) on every single model run.  Even the snowiest runs looked like half an inch of QPF, lol. 

UKMET is very wet for you, would love to see a clown map

11 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I'm actually just messing around. Lol. The trend on this thing has been ridiculous.

I sympathize with the skiers so I don't actually wish for rains to Maine. I don't mind if ya'll smoke cirrus a few times but I hate seeing warm sectors shooting up to the Canadian border. Hopefully you all at least salvage a bit of base builder. 

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

I'm actually just messing around. Lol. The trend on this thing has been ridiculous.

I sympathize with the skiers so I don't actually wish for rains to Maine. I don't mind if ya'll smoke cirrus a few times but I hate seeing warm sectors shooting up to the Canadian border. Hopefully you all at least salvage a bit of base builder. 

They’ll make up for it the next 2-3 weeks with big interior snows. Book your Late Feb/Early Mar ski trips now.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah it's just the high res maps show why the model soundings are showing snow at times.  Pounding isothermal 0C to -1C while the coarse maps may have it above 0C.

ecmwf-deterministic-neng-t850-9996800.thumb.png.a3b063daca161eff4c744764c3f22dce.png

Yeah this is a case where deep erly flow will cool that 850-950 layer right where it shows it. Earlier in December, high res pivotal had exorbitant amounts of snows with marginal temps. I couldn’t figure out where it came up with it as the same areas were just above 0C. My point was just to take those snow maps with a grain of salt. 

19 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I don’t care at all what happens in Maine. If it snows great if it rains great. I don’t live there. I care about where I live. I’m still watching as I was told yesterday 

With how much you like snow, you should take up an activity to interact with it. You like to jog, maybe you would like cross country skiing.