• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The Annual Countdown to May 1 Thread ©

weatherwiz

As we make strides towards the second half of winter that means spring is right around the corner!!! This is usually a great opportunity to start shifting the brain towards convective forecasting. Great time to discuss previous events and start throwing out ideas on how the global pattern may evolve as we move through spring. This May is extra special as I am likely going to go tornado chasing out west for the first time ever!!!! But with that said...can't lose focus on our severe season as once the Plains season winds down we quickly ramp up. 

102 Days to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

I'm (hopefully) applying to a boatload of Hazardous Weather Testbed and Spring Forecast Experiment opportunities at OUN this spring, so let's rock. 

They're doing a radar applications course on new tornado and meso detection algorithms, a satellite applications course, a course on probabilistic warnings, and then the Spring Forecast Experiment which is more of a research to operations. 

Just now, OceanStWx said:

I'm (hopefully) applying to a boatload of Hazardous Weather Testbed and Spring Forecast Experiment opportunities at OUN this spring, so let's rock. 

They're doing a radar applications course on new tornado and meso detection algorithms, a satellite applications course, a course on probabilistic warnings, and then the Spring Forecast Experiment which is more of a research to operations. 

That sounds pretty exciting!

I'm actually strongly considering pursuing masters in the fall...doing the online route at Mississippi State. Some of the classes offered look like a ton of fun 

4 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

That sounds pretty exciting!

I'm actually strongly considering pursuing masters in the fall...doing the online route at Mississippi State. Some of the classes offered look like a ton of fun 

Now that I'm edging towards the middle of my career I find I rarely have time to learn anything new. It's hard to keep up. So it's nice when the learning something new is part of work instead.

12 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

95 days to go!!!

Will be doing a countdown post every Monday morning. Will also be incorporating one or two or five posts per week dedicated to a previous convective event. 

If you go chasing this year I'm  hoping you get to see a tornado :) Noone deserves it more than you!

• Thanks 1

June 5, 2007. 

That was a fun day. It was a Tuesday. I was at work and this is where my memory is faded but I remember checking something...possibly on a phone but I didn't have a phone at the time but there were I think tornado warnings very nearby. I remember going home and getting onto the computer and there were supercells firing off...like classic supercells. The storm structures were amazing...never seen anything like it (up until that time). I think I may even have a picture of the satellite from that day. 

What I recall happening was llvl winds backed around the pre-frontal trough as it was coming through and the shear became highly favorable for supercells. Everything also started on the earlier side (late morning). I wonder if it held off a few hours longer if it would have been a bigger event.