• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Wet snowstorm potential Jan 25-26, mainly high terrain northwest of NYC

wdrag

Hi guys, I have been watching this thread like a hawk and looking at tidbits myself = I am taking my son back to school today ( Driving to Buffalo from Rockland ) and I am staying at a hotel overnight and leaving as early as I can Saturday morning to return home. Judging from what I have seen and read I believe that I won't  have any issues with ICE or Freezing Rain as " I THINK " the problems on the roads ( if any ) will begin Saturday later in the afternoon---> the route is 17 up thru Binghamton past Cortland ,Albany all the way to Amherst, it's a 5 hour drive Am I mistaken , do any of you ladies and gentlemen think i might have issues ? 

Good Saturday morning everyone,  I am well aware of the massive failure of wet snow in the northeast today-midwest doing ok. The modeling was correct at least a week in advance targeting a significant event for the ne USA on this date. Model thermal fields this past Monday-Tuesday were far too cold (associated with track of 500MB low being far too far south and slower to track into the ne USA).  However, ice is now occurring in parts of ne PA high terrain above 1200 feet. Includes Mount Pocono (.04 glaze so far) and Dingmans-the latter in Pike County with a temperature of ~30F.  So, I will add a graphic which is the HREF and best model this morning on ice...bar none that we commonly see (exclusive of EPIC which I dont see). Treated roads will probably be okay in extreme nw NJ and ne PA but a period of glaze is coming to the high terrain there this morning.  Rainfall rates will be so heavy that most of it will drip off the trees. Here in Wantage NJ at 740'MSL am holding at 33.3F with a td of 28 and no pcpn yet...a north-northeast wind at 812 AM. 

(One other note edited in at 830 AM Not sure if anyone was looking in n IL/WI modeled rain snow last night.  GFS was too warm in the BL completely missing the change to snow out there last evening RFD/MKE/ORD. Tropical tidbits will still have those runs from 12z/18z-24. 

Screen Shot 2020-01-25 at 6.17.31 AM.png

• Like 4

Wantage NJ 923A.  Rb ~around 9A.  32.9/30.6.  noting ice pellets and freezing reports just northwest Wilkes Barree.  Glaze at MPO now .07.  This may be one of my last reports on this for Wantage, unless wet bulging permits a slight glaze on something which I doubt at 740'MSL. 

• Like 1

I live up in Dutchess County, they highway department salted all the roads yesterday before the rain with temps in the upper 30’s. This morning our temps were around 30° with black ice everywhere. No salt spreaders out. With high dew points and no wind the roads never dried out. Driving the Taconic to work this morning was scary at times. 

• Like 2

Now a wrap on state of the northern tier USA and the past 3 days. Three attachments are:

1) Past 72 hours snowfall...mostly midwest and spotty high terrain 4's n NYS and northern NE through 12z/26.

2) How we stood on snow depth this morning with respect to climo

3) Seasonal snowfall so far666572277_ScreenShot2020-01-26at10_56_55AM.thumb.png.36965716fb50e0a542b39d809d7dd629.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-26 at 10.54.07 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-26 at 10.58.36 AM.png

• Like 1