Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Range Threats

Rjay

4 hours ago, snowman19 said:

The GFS is such an extreme outlier for Thursday right now it’s not even funny. No other model (Euro/EPS, UKMET, ICON,CMC,NAM) look anything like it

Agree

I'm hoping for a miracle but there is nothing to force this south.  This will be an all rain event for most of the area.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

6Z GSF pretty much the same snowfall map for the HV 4 runs in a row. As you say it's pretty much on its own so most likely out to lunch.

gfs_asnow24_neus_11.thumb.png.a95c0b1a0531d06d3155b68b13cc985d.png

You can see the snow line is receding a bit north each run, eventually I think this will be start as snow from Orange/Putnam County North and then quick change to ice/rain for the interior suburbs, probably will need to be near Albany to see a real front end thump 

53 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

You can see the snow line is receding a bit north each run, eventually I think this will be start as snow from Orange/Putnam County North and then quick change to ice/rain for the interior suburbs, probably will need to be near Albany to see a real front end thump 

As Expected the snow line continues north on the 12Z GFS. The 7 inch mark over southern Orange County which had been consistent for 4 straight runs is now down to 4 inches. As you stated it will move north towards Albany, as the mentally challenged GFS slowly catches on with the other models.

gfs_asnow24_neus_10.thumb.png.3a466b98b68336ba666bd56c4e27f451.png

1 hour ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

As Expected the snow line continues north on the 12Z GFS. The 7 inch mark over southern Orange County which had been consistent for 4 straight runs is now down to 4 inches. As you stated it will move north towards Albany, as the mentally challenged GFS slowly catches on with the other models.

gfs_asnow24_neus_10.thumb.png.3a466b98b68336ba666bd56c4e27f451.png

The GFS’s severe cold bias is laughable. Pathetic model. It’s just finally getting a clue now, it should have that storm figured out sometime Friday afternoon.....

Need at least 3 major models showing the same snowfall outcome within 4 days to even consider it happening. Years past, one of them could catch on early and lead the way and the others would soon follow suit.This winter the only way that happens is if the one outlier shows less cold/snow, then all others rush to get in line like a fat man at an all you can eat buffet. Every single model correction has been to less snow, no reason to start doubting it now.

TLDR:

Weather Models this winter:

More snow? GTFOH

LESS snow? NOW we're talkin!

38 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

The GFS’s severe cold bias is laughable. Pathetic model. It’s just finally getting a clue now, it should have that storm figured out sometime Friday afternoon.....

The other 12Z models did tick south a bit so they aren't way off from where the GFS now is at 12Z. I would move everything about 50 miles north of that map as the likely final outcome, think our interior zones may get an inch or two before the changeover 

1 minute ago, HeadInTheClouds said:

All models have some front end snow north of NYC. Again, the further north the more snow. Right now I think north of 84 sees 1-2, maybe 3 inches before changeover. You have to be north of I90 to see all snow. 

I actually think your area is close to a significant front end thump with this, everyone south of Albany will definitely go to rain but the storm comes in pretty juiced.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

The other 12Z models did tick south a bit so they aren't way off from where the GFS now is at 12Z. I would move everything about 50 miles north of that map as the likely final outcome, think our interior zones may get an inch or two before the changeover 

You are going to have to be north of I-84 to see snow of any significance at all

3 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

You are going to have to be north of I-84 to see snow of any significance at all

Agree. 50 miles north of that map would push the 4 inch line north of I84. It will also depend how much Sleet/ZR mixes in during the initial precip surge for places like Ulster/Dutchess that could limit totals but it's not that far off.  

4 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

almost comical at this point

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_11.png

The GFS is embarrassingly awful. Your tax dollars hard at work. And as far as Thursday trending to an all rain event....surprise surprise, you were able to see that coming from a mile away, just follow the pattern since the beginning of December. We’ve seen this movie before, wash, rinse, repeat.... 

24 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

The GFS is embarrassingly awful. Your tax dollars hard at work. And as far as Thursday trending to an all rain event....surprise surprise, you were able to see that coming from a mile away, just follow the pattern since the beginning of December. We’ve seen this movie before, wash, rinse, repeat.... 

It's still not an all rain event for most NW of the city but point taken, it's an inch or less to a washout for most of the subforum.

23 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

The GFS sucks but this is not an all rain event for those north of city. All models show some front end snows, especially mid hudson valley and north. Right now I would still say 1-2 inches around 84 before changeover and 2-4 up to I90. Similar to totals last night.