Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Range Threats

Rjay

19 minutes ago, White Gorilla said:

It is like looking at a beautiful woman you will never be with.  Dreaming is fun. 

I reside in the NYC, metro UHI feels like Atlanta area. I can sincerely say that I would have a better chance, this cold season, with a beautiful woman than a KU. The odds on both translate as zero to none. As always ...

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Afternoon thoughts...

1. New York City's 9th warmest January is now nearing an end.

2. Seasonal snowfall to date will be below to much below normal through the end of January from Washington, DC to New York City. The expected spatial distribution of seasonal snowfall is consistent with winters that typically wind up with below to much below normal snowfall in the Middle Atlantic region.

3. The weekend storm will have little or no wintry impact on the region. Eastern New England could still get grazed, but even there any snowfall amounts would likely be light.

4. Some of the teleconnections forecasts point to the development of another strongly positive AO. Cases during which a strongly positive AO coincides with a generally positive EPO during the February 1-15 outcome typically result in a warmer than normal February in the region and below normal February-March snowfall.

5. Until there is credible and consistent evidence of a more favorable hemispheric pattern for signficant snowfalls, Day 10 mirages of the kind seen on today's 12z ECMWF that cruelly tease snow lovers will likely disappear with the passage of time. Sometimes such mirages will disappear with the next model cycle.

Occasionally, there can be storms like the February 3-4, 1995 snowstorm that occur in a generally bad pattern, but those are the exception, not the norm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

7 minutes ago, WestBabylonWeather said:

been Reading this forum for a very long time

ive definitely seen this movie before. It’s trending better and it’s still 3 days out. 

We tend to remember the anomalies that end up crushing, and forget the million others that 'trend' better only to still end up mood flakes versus completely OTS.

That said, I'm hanging on every model run holding out hope we hit the lottery this time

7 minutes ago, Wetbulbs88 said:

18z NAM another improvement. the surface depiction makes almost zero sense so I wouldn’t hang on to that.  

Never understood this- why would the model struggle translating what it depicts in the upper atmosphere to the surface?

1 hour ago, PB-99 said:

1581163200-fK9SyA7AmDU.png

1581595200-cUUPYkKBwPM.png

Total can kick with the cold now as it starts after the 13th lol. If the -epo ridge sets up to far west it’s just going to dump the cold into the west. As you posted, great pattern for Chicago. We need to see where the -epo sets up or even materialize. That will write the story for February. I’m beginning to think it’s just not our year unfortunately. I will just hope for a early spring if that’s the case 

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

Just now, Allsnow said:

Total can kick with the cold now as it starts after the 13th lol. If the -epo ridge sets up to far west it’s just going to dump the cold into the west. As you posted, great pattern for Chicago. We need to see where the -epo sets up or even materialize. That will write the story for February. I’m beginning to think it’s just not our year unfortunately. I will just hope for a early spring if that’s the case 

It looks like a major RNA pattern coming up by mid-February. If that’s the case, the can is kicked until the end of the month or early March. At that point you can hear the clock ticking. After 3/15 it’s pretty much game over minus some anomalous freak snow event south of New England 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, snowman19 said:

It looks like a major RNA pattern coming up by mid-February. If that’s the case, the can is kicked until the end of the month or early March. At that point you can hear the clock ticking. After 3/15 it’s pretty much game over minus some anomalous freak snow event south of New England 

Yep. Looks like a La Niña February with the mjo in 4-5-6 by mid month. Unless we see some type of attack on the Pv, I don’t see a cold March either imo. 

Just nothing argues sustained cold for February currently. Yes, we could get some type of swfe event but it’s all going to depend on how strong the southeast ridge is.

I still like the 5th-9th for something. Unfortunately, I would be lying if I told you it looked as good as it did a few days ago. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Yep. Looks like a La Niña February with the mjo in 4-5-6 by mid month. Unless we see some type of attack on the Pv, I don’t see a cold March either imo. 

Just nothing argues sustained cold for February currently. Yes, we could get some type of swfe event but it’s all going to depend on how strong the southeast ridge is.

I still like the 5th-9th for something. Unfortunately, I would be lying if I told you it looked as good as it did a few days ago. 

AO is forecast to go to +4 or even +5.   Just not looking likely at all IMO.  The hallmark of a bad winter is the "good pattern" is always pushed down the road