• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Range Threats

Rjay

That L in the lakes is actually helping kick this to the BM. The timing of that feature is important, too slow and LP hugs without blocking, too fast and it punts it OTS.

I don`t look at the lakes low as a 100 % negative. 

You can all S stream in late Jan, you just need it to deepen in the right spot.

It`s just a very dicey set up thought and it all has to go right. 

And when was the last time that happened !

Just now, HeadInTheClouds said:

I definitely wouldn't get my hopes up for this weekend. It really does look it will be wide right with maybe light snow/rain in area. I think we need to wait until 2nd week in February to see something significant. 

Starting to get late...we're now out to the 2nd week in Feb...time starting to run out especially with the lack of cold.  Lack of cold can work in Jan/early Feb-later, not likely

3 minutes ago, White Gorilla said:

I am curious how the ridge axis out west would sharpen better given the strong Pacific flow 

@bluewave Pointed this out yesterday, you have a raging fast, record PAC jet circling almost the entire globe, blasting right into the west coast. Any +PNA that tries to form can’t sustain itself, that strong jet just crashes right into it and knocks it down as fast as it pops up 

• Weenie 2

1 minute ago, Brian5671 said:

Starting to get late...we're now out to the 2nd week in Feb...time starting to run out especially with the lack of cold.  Lack of cold can work in Jan/early Feb-later, not likely

Yes it is but it's not like we haven't seen back loaded winters before. We can still get plenty thru mid-march, it's still winter. 

5 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

@bluewave Pointed this out yesterday, you have a raging fast, record PAC jet circling almost the entire globe, blasting right into the west coast. Any +PNA that tries to form can’t sustain itself, that strong jet just crashes right into it and knocks it down as fast as it pops up 

Luckily that`s gone by day 11.

The flow buckles as the heights rise near the Aleutians.

The flow has Arctic influence not Pacific after day 10.

1581206400-dm2J5nvQfuA.png

1581379200-NfEzNPrQDfY.png

1581120000-BUUn0WA0M2E.png

1581271200-FSg4AEsVLw4.png

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Models are showing better cold air moving in around February 6th. Hopefully we can cash in on that. Looks like a much better chance that something can work out the end of the first week into the second week of February. This weekend, as you and most people here have pointed out, is a true thread the needle that has only a very slim chance of working out. Really looking towards that 2nd week of February for a much better chance.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Yes I saw that.  That makes it very difficult for phasing to happen earlier in the East given the trough alignment, unless other factors kick in I guess.  Even with a raging Pacific, how does the NAO going negative potentially compensate? 

Just now, Snow88 said:

How is this pattern bad ?

A strong storm would be good for the area. People always worry everytime we track Miller A storms. It's hilarious.. 

It's all about timing

You need northern stream interaction with  this storm.  On the 12z UKIE, as has been discussed above, there was none.  Its 40 and rain as RJay described above.  Too much northern stream, it gets crushed.  Not enough, and its a nice warm system with cold rain.  There is no real arctic or cold air present before the storm comes up the coast, no real HP in play either.  So what Allsnow/RJay/PB-99 are saying are correct, you need a thread the needle type storm here if you want snow.  And its even worse of a chance for me down south.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

Just now, White Gorilla said:

Yes I saw that.  That makes it very difficult for phasing to happen earlier in the East given the trough alignment, unless other factors kick in I guess.  Even with a raging Pacific, how does the NAO going negative potentially compensate? 

It slows the storm down and allows it to bomb out. Unfortunately, it does little for the airmass concerns. You would need a perfect ULL track/close off to allow dynamics to overcome bl issues.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

Models are showing better cold air moving in around February 6th. Hopefully we can cash in on that. Looks like a much better chance that something can work out the end of the first week into the second week of February. This weekend, as you and most people here have pointed out, is a true thread the needle that has only a very slim chance of working out. Really looking towards that 2nd week of February for a much better chance.

I agree. As I mentioned a week ago, that timeframe holds the most promise. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

6 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

How is this pattern bad ?

A strong storm would be good for the area. People always worry everytime we track Miller A storms. It's hilarious.. 

It's all about timing

The H is moving off, not building in. You will need to get kicked east by GL LP and deepen in the perfect spot just to cool the column.

That`s not easy Anth, this is not coming into a cold dome of air / and or blocking.

It`s not an easy pattern for the coast at all.

12 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

It slows the storm down and allows it to bomb out. Unfortunately, it does little for the airmass concerns. You would need a perfect ULL track/close off to allow dynamics to overcome bl issues.

In other words a lot has to go right to make this work and very little has to go wrong to make this not work. 

• Thanks 1

I agree 100% @Allsnow temps are a huge issue. If this is solely southern stream driven, no help from northern stream odds are it's a rainstorm for coastal plain. The way that changes is if the low bombs out and dynamically cools. The HP that scoots offshore just prior to the storm flips the winds to the south and that rots the BL for the coastal plain. If the northern stream gets involved that would be better, but you need the right track of that as well. Has to swing south of this area to pull the cold air in for a snow event along coastal plain. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

12 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

I agree 100% @Allsnow temps are a huge issue. If this is solely southern stream driven, no help from northern stream odds are it's a rainstorm for coastal plain. The way that changes is if the low bombs out and  dynamically cool. The HP that scoots offshore just prior to the storm flips the winds to the south and that rots the BL for the coastal plain. If the northern stream gets involved that would be better, but you need the right track of that as well. Has to swing south of this area to pull the cold air in for a snow event along coastal plain. 

Is the MJO projected to go to into phases 1-2 by then?  How much is the pattern MJO driven currently? 

14 minutes ago, White Gorilla said:

Is the MJO projected to go to into phases 1-2 by then?  How much is the pattern MJO driven currently? 

The main forcing is currently in 8 but we still have convection in 6. The +AAM and Pv orientation has negative effects on the response  from p8.

We will be in 2/3 to start February. With some strat hits we should get into a better airmass by the 5th. 

• Like 2