Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Range Threats

Rjay

6 hours ago, WestBabylonWeather said:

I’d like to see it off the coast this far out. Let it trend westward over the next few days. I know it’s never good to be in the bullseye this far out. 

This might be the period where the models lose the storm just to bring it back. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

This might be the period where the models lose the storm just to bring it back. 

That is what I think is happening here. While there is no certainty this will be a hit for us I think this will adjust back closer to the coast but it may take at least a few model runs before that starts to happen.

12 minutes ago, NutleyBlizzard said:

Looking over last nights Euro run this morning even though the storm went wide right, there were big changes at the upper levels compared to 12z. If only that northern stream was a bit faster. Euro came precariously close to a monster solution. 

The jet streak was impressive on the 0z run.  The eps has some members with a nice snowfall for the coast.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

14 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Hopefully the ridge out west trends stronger otherwise it'll never phase or it'll be too late.

Plenty of time for things to change though. 

Kocin and Ucellini, sort of the Dean Martin/ Jerry Lewis of snowstorms, and authors of the bible, Northeast Snowstorms, which was written before the big decade of the 2010's.

24 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

exactly - a prime example is this along with the other threads directly related to Boxing Day KU 2010

We had a completely different h5 set up for Boxing Day lol. Just because it trended west does not automatically make it comparable. 

The issue is the progressive nature of the flow { wave spacing and vortex} all killing the sharpness of the ridge. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Allsnow said:

We had a completely different h5 set up for Boxing Day lol. Just because it trended west does not automatically make it comparable. 

The issue is the progressive nature of the flow { wave spacing and vortex} all killing the sharpness of the ridge. 

Lmaooo exactly. There is absolutely no comparison whatsoever to Boxing Day, zero lol. You had an extreme -NAO and -AO and deep arctic air with a banana high in place, strong 50/50 low, among other things, nothing is similar to this weekend

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

7 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Yes. That's why this storm is going to come down to timing.Long ways to go.

Just now, Snow88 said:

Yes. That's why this storm is going to come down to timing.Long ways to go.

You want to see improvements out west with the ridge. (Not impossible 5 days out) This will allow the northern stream to dive in further south. 

The ukmet was a southeast mass hit and the flow is too progressive. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

did I say it was similar ? I was responding to the poster who said "Miller A’s are exceedingly difficult to track this far out".

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Allsnow said:

You want to see improvements out west with the ridge. (Not impossible 5 days out) This will allow the northern stream to dive in further south. 

The ukmet was a southeast mass hit and the flow is too progressive. 

We would probably also need the UL to close off right over the area to make up for the lack of any high pressure to the N or NW.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, bluewave said:

We would probably also need the UL to close off right over the area to make up for the lack of any high pressure to the N or NW.

Yep. Need it’s dynamics to overcome the meh airmass/high sliding East. Lots stacked against this for the coast. But it’s not impossible. Great post.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Posted these desired fixes away about 30 minutes ago and was really my 1st stab at this one because of a SW getting caught in an overall pattern.

I want to erase the energy hanging on its backside.

I want to push the heights into S Central Canada which would allow the heights to back around and up the EC and allow the backside energy to dive in  and consolidate on Hatteras and allow the heights to rise on the east coast. 

Yes it's close,  but it's also close to adjusting and escaping.

The models have moved away from the big phase and that is what is needed for this to work. 

So we want to start seeing more robust LP.

Again I haven't been definitive on this one because it's just not clear to me yet.

20200127_083617.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Yep. Need it’s dynamics to overcome the meh airmass/high sliding East. Lots stacked against this for the coast. But it’s not impossible. Great post.

Yeah, timing of the phase and surface and UL track will be critical.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1