Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2020 Mid-Atlantic Severe Weather - General Thread

Kmlwx

1 minute ago, dailylurker said:

One heck of a lightning storm here in the rainforest. I was driving over the Severn River bridge and witnessed some bad ass lightning bolts. Big ole thick long lasting bolts just bombing the Severn. Looks like more storm building back around DC. I got a 1.50" here at my house in about 30 minutes. Not severe but really fun storm.

Sounds exactly like what I had last night. Way more fun than today.

• Like 1

Went for a damage patrol drive. Many pieces of tulip poplar on roads but only one or 2 of size. Md rte 450 flooding has neen moved further east. Passable. 

This white pine 0.7 miles from my house may have took lightning.  Bark is peeled and the area smells like a Christmas tree lot. Doesn't seem like wind damage,  we didn't get much. But maybe.

Resized_pine tree 09.jpeg

• Like 1

Some showers coming in but there's no umph behind them. Kind of disappointed in today. Got brushed by the cell that raised some havoc in Rockville. And of course the Baltimore/Annapolis axis seemed to get nailed pretty soundly. It's been noted that SPC marginal days seem to deliver just about as often as when we get tagged with an enhanced or (rarely) a MOD. It's hit and miss around here and that's no great secret. On severe days, there's usually always someone like the last one picked at the high school dance. Or the first one kicked off the raft floating in the middle of a vast and unforgiving ocean.   

Last night was easily hands down the best active weather day I experienced in many years. We are at the beach and when I saw Baltimore County under a tornado warning and listened to my friends tell me about the insane lightning show, it was my typical luck that I missed it.

But the line held and slowly made its way across the bay toward Rehoboth. The incoming storm at first was cool as the frequency of lightning was unbelievable. Flashes every 3 seconds or so. However then the incredibly frequent CG hits started encroaching and I had that “be careful what you wish for” moment. It was concerning !!! When the storm was finally overhead it was not as terrifying as the approach however.

So that would have been great all by itself. But then the phone alerted again with a warning an hour later for a second storm. I never get second storms.

This second storm was not as terrifying on approach , but when it was overhead.... holy hell. It lasted about 30 min and the last 10 minutes we must have had at least 100+ CG strikes within a mile of our house (or so it seemed). It was truly really scary and I’ve not felt that way in decades. We were bombarded with CG strikes.

We even had a third not as intense storm 45 min later after that one.

I can close the severe season on this summer now.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CAPE said:

Not sure what round it is but it can stop anytime now lol..I think it finally has.

3.4"

2 day total of 4.85"

eta- had another storm after midnight, so the 'severe' event total is 3.9", and 5.35" since Wed night.

Gotta be the most lightning we've ever had in a very long time. Constant round after round after round of lightning. The third storm was actually the most intense in terms of lightning here, surprisingly. Perfect conditions came together for multiple rounds

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JakkelWx said:

Gotta be the most lightning we've ever had in a very long time. Constant round after round after round of lightning. The third storm was actually the most intense in terms of lightning here, surprisingly. Perfect conditions came together for multiple rounds

Subtropical/tropical airmess = big lightning

https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1029/95GL01036

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JakkelWx said:

We have had several good storms this summer, and quite a few with frequent lightning. I had that one back in July that blew a tree down. Sometimes we can go through a whole season with nothing but lame garden variety storms.